Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 05-12-2009   #1
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Where Are They Now: Jerome Mathis edition

Quote:
Jerome Mathis Surfaces In Canada
Posted by Mike Florio on May 11, 2009, 10:46 p.m.

After a season out of the NFL, former Texans Pro Bowler Jerome Mathis has landed north of the border, with the Toronto Argonauts.

Mathis made it to Hawaii as a rookie in 2005 for his kick-return skills.

Injuries marred his second and third pro seasons, limiting him to five total games over two years.
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/...ces-in-canada/

He joins Aggie Reggie McNeal and former Texans Zeke Moreno and Cody Pickett, and everyone's favorite liquored up ***** kicker, Mike Vanderjagt.

While I'm at it, also in the CFL:
Jared Zabransky with the Edmonton Eskimos
Derrick Armstrong, the best receiver in Texans history, with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
Quinton Porter with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, dominating the CFL of course
Jon Abbate with the Montreal Alouettes with Mark Estelle

Last edited by mexican_texan; 05-12-2009 at 05:59 AM.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009   #2
hot pickle
Canada Eh

Rep Power: 2075 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Where Are They Now: Jerome Mathis edition

since i live in winnipeg i'll keep u guys updated on derrick armstrong.. hes done very very well for himself here and all the fans love the guy.. we had zeke moreno to but they traded him away which everyone was pissed about cause hes become one hell of a cfl linebacker.... just thought i'd let yall know
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009   #3
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 269060 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks for the interesting follow up.

There are many reasons why comparisons of how players do in the NFL to how they do in the CFL don't translate very well.

In the NFL, eleven offensive or defensive players are allowed on the field at one time. On the other hand, the CFL allows twelve players. On offense, this equates to seven players on the line of scrimmage and five in the backfield, which also means that there is an extra eligible receiver on each, compared to the NFL.

Another difference between the CFL and the NFL is that the playing surface in Canadian football is much larger. In the NFL, the length of the field is 100 yards (not counting the two 10-yard end zones) and the width is 53 1/3 yards. In the CFL, however, the official playing surface is 10 yards longer, each end zone is twice as long and the field is 65 yards wide.

In the NFL, teams have four downs to earn a first down and keep the drive going. In the CFL, three downs.

In general, unique strategies and expectations are dictated by these very significant differences.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009   #4
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 295319 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Good for Mathis. He blew his chance in the NFL through stupidity, but he was about the only thing worth watching in 2005, because we were getting kicked off to a LOT.
Old 05-12-2009   #5
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Thanks for the interesting follow up.

There are many reasons why comparisons of how players do in the NFL to how they do in the CFL don't translate very well.

In the NFL, eleven offensive or defensive players are allowed on the field at one time. On the other hand, the CFL allows twelve players. On offense, this equates to seven players on the line of scrimmage and five in the backfield, which also means that there is an extra eligible receiver on each, compared to the NFL.

Another difference between the CFL and the NFL is that the playing surface in Canadian football is much larger. In the NFL, the length of the field is 100 yards (not counting the two 10-yard end zones) and the width is 53 1/3 yards. In the CFL, however, the official playing surface is 10 yards longer, each end zone is twice as long and the field is 65 yards wide.

In the NFL, teams have four downs to earn a first down and keep the drive going. In the CFL, three downs.

In general, unique strategies and expectations are dictated by these very significant differences.
Although not the case anymore (since 1996), the CFL also featured two teams with the same nicknames (spelled differently): Rough Riders and Roughriders.
Old 05-12-2009   #6
Polo

I remember seeing Mathis at Drink Houston one night...

I don't think anyone knew who he was...

His girl was stacked though...
Old 05-12-2009   #7
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 295319 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
I remember seeing Mathis at Drink Houston one night...

I don't think anyone knew who he was...

His girl was stacked though...
LOL, I shot him in paintball a couple years ago, just before the pit bull stories came out.
Old 05-12-2009   #8
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
LOL, I shot him in paintball a couple years ago, just before the pit bull stories came out.
Daaaang! For a guy that fast you must've had pretty quick reflexes!

Or just surprise attacked him?
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009   #9
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Thats pretty cool....

Got another one...

two years ago I'm at my highschool watching my brother play a game, and one of my old coaches (who now works for the Texans) walks in with Jacoby Jones and Andre Johnson....They walked right in through the courtyard and right onto the field...

They were trying to be obscure, but I was surprised that NOONE stopped to notice them...Hundreds of people standing around at a freaking football game and no one notices Andre Johnson or Jacoby...I just walked up to 'em and first spoke to my coach then I turned to Andre and Jacoby and like I told Jerome I told them, "Y'all boys do y'all thang on that field"..."Bet that" and "appreciate that man" were there responses...

My friend said he saw Mario and Rick Smith (two seperate occasions) in the wholefoods he works at on San Felipe and Voss...Said he saw Rick Smith this past Sunday...He said Rick walked up to him and asked him if they sold alchohol.......on a Sunday morning......before twelve O'clock....Once again my friend said no one in the store even recognized him and he said Rick Smith didn't know my friend knew who he was till he said "Go Texans" while Rick was walking away...He said he just looked at him, laughed and said "definitely"....

Last edited by Polo; 05-12-2009 at 09:01 PM.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read