Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Chemistry vs. Talent
Chemistry 27 72.97%
Talent 10 27.03%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-11-2009   #1
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx
Default Chemistry Vs Talent

Interesting video on NFL network...

There is a debate on what is needed more to win championships. I for one go with chemistry, and i also feel that our team is based on chemistry rather then talent. I thought it would make for an interesting thread.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-networ...stry-vs-talent
Old 05-12-2009   #2
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Chemistry Vs Talent

I point to the New England Patriots as my evidence for chemistry.

And T.O. as evidence of talent.

Last edited by TimeKiller; 05-12-2009 at 09:01 AM.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009   #3
whiskeyrbl

I say Chemistry. You can have all the talent there is but if you don't play as a team and gel or like each other it ain't gonna work.
Old 05-12-2009   #4
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyrbl View Post
I say Chemistry. You can have all the talent there is but if you don't play as a team and gel or like each other it ain't gonna work.
Thats exactly right, just look at the Cowboys. They have a ton of talent and piss it away every year. Not that that bothers me it just happens to be the perfect example.
Old 05-12-2009   #5
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 119106 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO, you need both, but chemistry becomes stronger as you win games. So, in the beginning I think it begins with more talent than chemistry. In the end, it takes both. They both go hand in hand on a team that is a consistant Super Bowl contender.

Talent + A few wins = Stronger chemistry

Stronger chemistry + The talent = Championship!
Old 05-12-2009   #6
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans focus on character while trying to elevate talent = Connor Barwin
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009   #7
InterestedJeff
Rookie

Rep Power: 7 InterestedJeff is on the Pro-Bowl ballotInterestedJeff is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I would say in the BIG picture, talent wins out over chemistry. For example: the patriots play the toronto arganaunts. The talent alone on the patriots would win the game for them a large majority of the time. That being said, when the competition is closer; say the giants vs the browns, team chemistry becomes a lot larger a factor when dealing with team success.
InterestedJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-12-2009   #8
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Science classes or OT money.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009   #9
Polo

Give me talent over chemistry everday of the week.

Last edited by Polo; 05-12-2009 at 09:58 AM.
Old 05-12-2009   #10
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Talent.... THEN chemistry.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009   #11
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

This is not an either/or answer. A baseline of both is needed. A very talented team needs less chemistry, but at least needs to trust that the other player will do thier job even if they don't like the person. I would argue if you have been on a team or worked in a company of any size, that you have had the person no one really liked, but everyone trusted they would do thier job. That is the low end.

On the other hand, a team with great chemistry, but not enough skill will still fall short. Chemistry can overcome some shortages in skill, but at the end of the day if a team has players that can do things that the other can't stop, working together well goes only so far. To win at the highest level in the NFL, the teams overall talent still probably needs to at least a 6/7 on a scale of 10.

Various mixes have worked, but the key is that a team can't be a 9 on area and a 2 in the other.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009   #12
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

Wasn't in VanGundy that when asked about "talent", said "Talent? Eveyone in the league has talent!" I'll go with chemistry.
Old 05-12-2009   #13
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Texans View Post
Wasn't in VanGundy that when asked about "talent", said "Talent? Eveyone in the league has talent!" I'll go with chemistry.
That's probably why Van Gundy never won anything...
Old 05-12-2009   #14
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 143118 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Both.

Signed - Alex Rodriguez
Old 05-12-2009   #15
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 33666 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
That's probably why Van Gundy never won anything...
He's just mad that his brother's the one with the talent.

...it's Ron Jeremy, r-right?
gg no re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009   #16
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 631 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think you have to have both. You can have a great chemistry but no talent and the chemistry will soon fall apart if you keep losing. If all you have is talent - well, lots of teams know about what happens with that.

First, you need some talent - maybe not great talent - but better than good. Then you need chemistry to develop. If you can manage that - you have a great team - and great coaches.
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009   #17
Dapper
Veteran

Rep Power: 33 Dapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respected

CHEMISTRY! I have coached many championship teams who in no way had better talent than the eventual runner-ups. The better TEAM wins every time.

TRUTH
Old 05-12-2009   #18
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Dallas Cowboys.....

As far as Van Gundy not winning anything; what talent did he have to coach other than Yao and McGrady? (I'll leave the jokes in the other forum). He had talent in New York, but guess what? They ran into a team that had both talent and chemistry.
Old 05-12-2009   #19
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Dallas Cowboys.....

As far as Van Gundy not winning anything; what talent did he have to coach other than Yao and McGrady? (I'll leave the jokes in the other forum). He had talent in New York, but guess what? They ran into a team that had both talent and chemistry.
Exactly, I'd go to battle with JVG anyday.

- Edmund Burke
Carr Bombed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009   #20
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steroids View Post
This video screams "offseason" to me. I don't blame the OP, but dang... its a long ~120 days until football season.
Who's the owner of that bodacious booty in your avatar.

- Edmund Burke
Carr Bombed is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read