Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-26-2005   #21
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
There are a number of folks thinking Rolle may have to move to safety in the NFL--the thought being his ability in college is largely built of his size and being physical which won't be allowed in the NFL. May not make sense, but will probably come down to his combine results--poor 40 time, serious slide and lots of talk about safety.
I had noticed a bit of a slide in recent mocks in regard to Rolle, but I had never seen any explanation for it...Makes sense though...

If he doesn't post a good 40, he would make a good FS, which B.O.B. wants...I happen to think we're set for now in that category, however...
Old 01-26-2005   #22
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

hmm i dont think i'd listen to some people who dont even know our other LBs names, Justin i mean really where did that come from ?
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005   #23
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Say if we move down in the draft, how far do we move down? One or two spot or down to the late twenties? And is there a possiblity for us to draft Cedric Benson? I'm not to high on the guy, but we do need another solid running back.
Old 01-26-2005   #24
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer
Say if we move down in the draft, how far do we move down? One or two spot or down to the late twenties? And is there a possiblity for us to draft Cedric Benson? I'm not to high on the guy, but we do need another solid running back.

do you not think D.D can be a solid starter for us for years to come, and wells did a nice job every time he was aked to step in for Davis. I knind of like our rushing game right now, and i still feel there are much bigger things to adress than a RB when our running game has been decent the last 2 years with Davis !
Old 01-26-2005   #25
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes Domanick Davis has been a very good back for us, but he has had injury problems in his 2 years with us. And Jonathan Wells is pretty much a goal line back. I think if we draft Benson then that would add quality depth to our running game. I know that we have other holes to fill, but I think adding a back in this draft may be a higher probability then most people think. Specially since our style is to control the ball, eat up time and play defense. And if DD is going to be out for parts of the season we need another back who can step up and do the job. It doesn't have to be Benson, but it's a possibility.
Old 01-26-2005   #26
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I think until we come across an RB that fills every need we have.. someone who is sturdy, fast, powerful, versatile.. can take 30 carries a game.. can catch it out of the backfield.. etc..etc.. (well maybe not ALL of that..but most of it).. until we find that guy, i think we should attempt to draft an RB regularly.. maybe not with the first or even the second.. but considering that our best back is injury prone, and our second back is not a sure thing.. we need to keep looking to be safe.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005   #27
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

ya know people say davis has had durability problems, well i remember his first year he wasnt even the starter came in during like week 6 or 7 still went over a thousand yards, and he wasnt actually hurt that much this last season, it may of been little dings and stuff but the majority of the time he still played, and at the beginning of the season the zone blocking wasnt really clicking for the o-line but it seemed as though they were getting the hang of it the second part of the season !
Sponsored links
Old 01-26-2005   #28
2-DUNTA-3
Rookie

there is nothing wrong with DD. I agree we need a little more depth, but we don't need to waste a first rounder on a RB when DD is as capable as any in the game to help his team. I think defense is what is going to get this team to the super bowl, and that defense needs to be built through the draft. a great offense will get you to the playoffs (see indianapolis) but a stronger defense will get you to the promised land (see new england).

if you look at the philadelphia eagles and new england patriots they built strong defenses, and then they added a few offensive pieces to get over the hump. I don't mean to take anything away from the offenses they had before, mcnabb and brady are great players and they both have great offensive systems, but both of those teams are winning, and have in the past few years, because of their defense.
Old 01-26-2005   #29
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

To draft a RB in the first (or first day for that matter) would be a waste of much needed talent elseware IMO. Could we use a power back....sure, but we need other pieces a LOT more.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005   #30
Rosusu
All Pro

I am really hoping that DJ has a combine just like Suggs did a few years back. He ran a little slower so a lot of people passed on him. Guess who is in the pro bowl now?
Old 01-27-2005   #31
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 182552 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Zach Thomas was picked in the 5th round out of Tech. Why because he was to small and to slow. DJ will be to light at 230 for some teams . Jerry Rice was not the first or second reciever taken in his draft to slow 4.6. Same story with Emmitt Smith to something. There was probably a 6 ft 220 lb 4.4 guy picked ahead of him who lasted 2 yrs and was gone.
Honoring Earl 34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005   #32
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Blair Thomas was the #2 pick in 1990 (don't know how big he was)--Emmitt was #17. Thomas never had more than 750 yds in a season and left football after six years with a total of 2200 yds rushing. In 1994 Thomas actually got to back Emmitt up in Dallas. Bet the Jets wished they had taken the too small, too slow Emmitt.
Old 01-27-2005   #33
Sarg01
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBulluck53
for this to happen though.. Tennessee has to take Alex Barron over Derrick Johnson.. does Tennessee need an OT that bad?
no, i heard fish this morning on the titans morning show and he said one will go one will stay i hope miller goes and that also indacates mac9 stayin
That's one possibility. Another is that the Titans have to replace Rolle (a reasonable cap casualty) with err ... Rolle. Dyson's almost certainly gone, so even a Rolle-Rolle secondary is quite feasible. Particularly if your management wants to stop the Colts anytime soon. Linebacker is the Titans' defensive position of strength.
Sarg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005   #34
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Robert McCune and Boomer Grigsby

2 sleepers at the LB position. I wouldn'd mind the Texans drafting one of them.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005   #35
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Do pea brains taste like peas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottle-O-Bud
Hrmmmmm! A line backer when we can't even find a spot for Peek? Oi......

Here is the deal:

Peek - Sharper - Wong - Babin

Yup yup yup!!! Foreman, Polk, Orr(s) and Cheatwood will be back ups. We are not drafting a line backer that early. Wong has to move inside wheather he likes it or not cause you cant hold "mini freeney" on the bench that long.

There is a reason Peek can't get on the feild for every down. And as we have all seen it ain't athletic ablity. But no matter how good an athlete he is if the coaches can't depend on him to be at the right place at the correct time on any given play, he's not going to start period. I'm not down on Babin because he was excellent vs the run last year. There is hope. Peek on the other hand... if he ain't got it up stairs God bless him...he ain't got it. We'll see. Took Keith Bullock a couple of years. There is hope. No NFL coach is going to stake a game on a loose cannon. He might come around this season.

As far as DJ, I would love to see this. But I'm in the I'll believe the two running backs in the top ten" when it happens club. The RB's this year are good they are not great. I see no LT's, Preist Holmes, Barry Sanders, Earl Cambles etc. in this years Draft. Not one to pay top five money to anyway. It could happen no doubt. Clubs will reach because of need. However, they didn't last year.

Just can't see us getting DJ. Too many 4-3 clubs ahead of us. And once again: His best postion NFL maybe in the defensive back feild.

The last time Bud's club went in to the season with this much doubt at the tackle postions Archie Manning almost got killed that season. If they do take DJ you will know something is up. Will be a hoot to see what they do. I think they NEED to go tackel. But, it looks to me that BA is going cheap again. Maybe a prurge coming Titan's fans. JMHO's.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 01-31-2005 at 02:06 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read