Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-11-2009   #1
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Peter King on all 32 teams

I'm not a PK fan. In fact he has gotten on my nerves more than most columnists but he talks football every Monday so I read. Here he ranks all 32 teams. Funny how 13 is pretty high yet he doesn't say much. Typical.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...0/may11/1.html

Quote:
13. Houston
Every year a trendy pick. Every year 8-8. Notice I said the top dozen teams all have reliable strong quarterbacks. I stopped at Matt Schaub, who has been just OK. Quick aside, the Texans paid more for him (two second-round picks, plus moving down two spots in the first round) than Kansas City did for Matt Cassel and Mike Vrabel combined (a second-round pick in the 2009 draft).
Old 05-11-2009   #2
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Peter King on all 32 teams

I think he failed to mention how the hits that injured him were cheap shots that players go fined for.

He's done okay but he's also won games that he shouldn't have also.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009   #3
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 33666 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected

PK also failed to mention that the bonds between Rick Smith and Atlanta's GM aren't as chummy as, say, Pioli and Belichick

This is what happens when you dedicate a page in your weekly column to musings derived from Starbucks coffee.
gg no re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009   #4
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

So is he going to compare every QB trade to Cassel or just ours?

Agreed that he talks about everything but why he thinks the Texans are #13.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009   #5
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

He was high on the Texans all season in his rankings, but never devoted too much space to us.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009   #6
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

I think you'll find that most people in the league view Schaub as a better QB than one year wonder Cassell....Cassell threw for the fewest yards per completion, Schaub has one of the highest....Cassell had the fewest passes over 20+yards, Schaub has one of the highest number of passes over 20+ yards.....

And by the way, the Arizona «ardinals were the "trendy pick" for years before we were, worked out pretty well for them.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009   #7
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

put Schaub in Cassel's situauation last year and he would have put up MUCH better numbers than he did. i mean he wouldn't be Brady but Cassel was basically able to rely on Welker and the Pats D for the year.
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-11-2009   #8
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

I love how he says the top 12 have reliable strong QB's, yet two are 2nd year guys. I'm not saying Ryan and Falco will bust, but now that people have game film on them, they may be a little less reliable this year.
Old 05-11-2009   #9
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't call Falco any more reliable than Schaub. Schaub's a much better QB, Jared Allen cheapshots could send any QB to the injured list.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009   #10
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think 13 is a very fair, if not slightly friendly view of our ranking at the moment.

We are still an 8-8 team with a porous defense until we prove otherwise
Old 05-11-2009   #11
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
I think 13 is a very fair, if not slightly friendly view of our ranking at the moment.

We are still an 8-8 team with a porous defense until we prove otherwise
I agree with the ranking, just not that the top 12 have better QB's then we do. The 2nd year guys are a question mark, as is Collins and to an extent Warner. The latter two being fossils.
Old 05-11-2009   #12
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
I agree with the ranking, just not that the top 12 have better QB's then we do. The 2nd year guys are a question mark, as is Collins and to an extent Warner. The latter two being fossils.
The thing about the 2nd year guys is they weren't really "quarterbacking" at all. Their O-coordinators did an awesome job of running the ball way way more than they threw. They were hidden behind great run blocking lines that just ran the ball all day and passed when absolutely necessary. If there's 2 minutes left in the ball game and your team is down by 4, I wonder who PK would like QBing his team, one of the 2 second year QBs or Schaub whose actually proven he can win a game for his team with his arm.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009   #13
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
The thing about the 2nd year guys is they weren't really "quarterbacking" at all. Their O-coordinators did an awesome job of running the ball way way more than they threw. They were hidden behind great run blocking lines that just ran the ball all day and passed when absolutely necessary. If there's 2 minutes left in the ball game and your team is down by 4, I wonder who PK would like QBing his team, one of the 2 second year QBs or Schaub whose actually proven he can win a game for his team with his arm.
Yep. Matt was pretty good during crunch time. Baltimore also ran alot of the vertical passing game, where if you miss, its either incomplete or like a punt. With that D, you have room for error. Both guys looked good last year, but lets see when there is film on them. VY was toast when people got game tape, FWIW.
Old 05-11-2009   #14
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see what's wrong with what King wrote at all. Schaub was an unproven player that we gave two 2nd rounders for and to me that if over paying for someone that is unproven. He has been here for two seasons and has shown that he can't stay healthy in those two seasons. Will that pattern continue with Schaub going forward this season? Well only time will tell, but we're about to find out. This will be a make or break year for Schaub for sure.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009   #15
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I don't see what's wrong with what King wrote at all. Schaub was an unproven player that we gave two 2nd rounders for and to me that if over paying for someone that is unproven. He has been here for two seasons and has shown that he can't stay healthy in those two seasons. Will that pattern continue with Schaub going forward this season? Well only time will tell, but we're about to find out. This will be a make or break year for Schaub for sure.
I just get annoyed when rookies have good seasons, and people are way too quick to say "Hall of Fame!". Then they slump or fall apart. You have to see how a guy dopes when people are more prepaired befor you crown them. The Schaub comments don't bother me that much, cause he does have to prove that he isn't Glass Joe.
Old 05-11-2009   #16
valleytexfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 275 valleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I love how he says the top 12 have reliable strong QB's, yet two are 2nd year guys. I'm not saying Ryan and Falco will bust, but now that people have game film on them, they may be a little less reliable this year.
Shane Falco???
valleytexfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009   #17
valleytexfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 275 valleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's probably the best Texans piece PK has done:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...bte/index.html
valleytexfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009   #18
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83329 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
I think you'll find that most people in the league view Schaub as a better QB than one year wonder Cassell....Cassell threw for the fewest yards per completion, Schaub has one of the highest....Cassell had the fewest passes over 20+yards, Schaub has one of the highest number of passes over 20+ yards.....

And by the way, the Arizona «ardinals were the "trendy pick" for years before we were, worked out pretty well for them.
The Cardinals were also the "trendy pick" for about three years in a row before it finally came together for them.

I agree with where King ranked us, but he doesn't seem to provide any evidence at all for why.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009   #19
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I just get annoyed when rookies have good seasons, and people are way too quick to say "Hall of Fame!". Then they slump or fall apart. You have to see how a guy dopes when people are more prepaired befor you crown them. The Schaub comments don't bother me that much, cause he does have to prove that he isn't Glass Joe.
Well I hear ya on the rookies thing, but sometimes you just see those leadership qualities early on like with Matt Ryan. Most people really weren't high on Matt Ryan at all, until pre season started and then they saw him on the sidelines telling players where to be and rallying his team together and immediately you could see those leadership qualities and he was making really nice plays in pre season. So then a lot of people bought in as the season started and he had one of the best first seasons I've ever seen from any QB. I do think that Ryan will be a very good QB for a long time even if he struggles next season.

I'm not sure though that I can think of any QB's that played real well as rookies where they ended up falling off later on to where they had poor careers. No in this decade that I can think of other than VY really. And who knows, maybe VY will become a better QB again, but at this point that just doesn't look likely.
Old 05-11-2009   #20
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
The Cardinals were also the "trendy pick" for about three years in a row before it finally came together for them.

I agree with where King ranked us, but he doesn't seem to provide any evidence at all for why.
Yeah, that was my only real thing with it, was how he didn't give any real explanation other than his comparison of what we gave up for with Schaub.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read