Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-10-2009   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default FAnblog:Connecting the Off-Season Dots~BigRon

http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans...son_dotsb.html

Quote:
We're about halfway through the '09 off-season and in the midst of the NFL dead zone. With coaching changes, free agent frenzy, and the Draft all in the rear-view, we can start to see the shape of the 2009 Texans. Unfortunately, we still have three long months before we get to check out the product against real competition. That stated, as we see the squad being assembled, I thought I'd try to continue connecting the off-season dots as best we fans can.

I focused on the Draft, the new defensive philosophy, and what it all means for the Texans D in 2009. I think we all have a better idea what to expect from the offense next season, excepting the added depth that we hope makes it more effective. As for the D... well, with how bad they were in '08, the subsequent coaching changes, and considerable additions through the Draft and free agency, that side of the ball is tougher to figure out.

Like many of you, I've tried to glean whatever I possibly can from any statements from management as to how they see their players and how they plan to deploy them. I pulled what I considered some choice off-season tidbits about the Texans' approach to things, especially their newest additions. Taking the recent discussion of USC's 4-3 under scheme and adding in commentary from the Texans' staff gives us a decent idea of what we might expect on D this year. This is my view of the developments we've seen and what they could mean a few months from now. What else is a Texans Fan to do these days?? Check it out...

2009 DRAFT
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009   #2
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 168713 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: FAnblog:Connecting the Off-Season Dots~BigRon

I found this to be the most interesting part of the blog...
Quote:
n the nose, which differs from Carroll's philosophy. The Texans seem to want their DTs athletic enough to penetrate if necessary while still having enough strength to hold up in the A-gaps. They'll try to offset any lack of bulk by regular rotations of fresh DTs and an emphasis on penetration. With Bush's schemes coupled with Kollar's style, I think we'll see completely different substitution patterns on D. This is why I believe they brought in FA role players like Cato June and Shaun Cody. I'm also encouraged by David Gibbs' development of rook CBs, Brandon Flowers (rd. 2) and Brandon Carr (rd. 5), in KC last season. Both became solid starters by mid-season, even though the Chiefs' pass rush was worse than the Texans' last year. Here's hoping Gibbs' influence and Houston's trio of rook DBs keep fires lit under Fred Bennett and Dominique Barber. At minimum, they give the Texans added depth in light of Dunta Robinson's contract squabble and Molden's injury issue.
I'm also curious to see what Gibbs the Younger can do with the youngsters we've collected over the past three years. I didn't realize it until I just looked over the roster, but Robinson and Reeves are the "old guys" in the collection of CBs (nine at last count) that are currently on the roster.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009   #3
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

One reason I wasn't too worried about drafting CB in the 1st this year was because of Gibbs' track record with the young DBs. We have collected a fair amount of talent since Smithiak has been here in that unit and I hope that Gibbs can maximize that talent.

Sure, they weren't 1st rounders but we've got some athletes in that group who aren't afraid to get physical.
Old 05-10-2009   #4
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Remember Smith is an old DB/DB coach from back in the day. So he recognizes talent.....

Reasoning parallels to Kubiak and QBs. If he thinks, should schaub could go down, Orlovsky can step up just like Sage did. (minus the copter debacle)
Old 05-10-2009   #5
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 97647 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipTraxx View Post
Remember Smith is an old DB/DB coach from back in the day. So he recognizes talent.....

Reasoning parallels to Kubiak and QBs. If he thinks, should schaub could go down, Orlovsky can step up just like Sage did. (minus the copter debacle)
I don't know. Dan looks like he might have some rotation ability in him, and his name kind of sounds like Sikorsky.

I can see him auto-rotating out the back of our endzone.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read