Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-10-2009   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Checking the Texans' mythology

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcsouth/...mythology.html

Quote:
What's the biggest and most lasting myth about the Texans, and how would you set it straight?
"Overly" Bad Offensive Line myth... The Offensive Line isn't that bad ....between the 20's ..we just need to learn to punch it in when we get into the Paydirt area
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009   #2
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Checking the Texans' mythology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
Bad Offensive Line myth...
That's defined this franchise since the beginning. The only way that disappears is by protecting Schaub in a playoff game. Only the hardcore fans will look at the stats that tell a different story.

You occasionally hear the "The Texans made a mistake by passing on Bush" crapola. But, only from the most clueless of the media.
Old 05-10-2009   #3
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Whoops, I mis-understoond the point of this thread.

Last edited by thunderkyss; 05-10-2009 at 09:05 AM.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009   #4
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

The Offensive line being bad, namely the Carr Ages. This is from 10/2005 wherez I started coming around on the OL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Thank you for the stats. But I just see a QB who plants his back foot and then runs if he can't pass to the receiver he is locked onto. I, nor anyone else, I belive, is suggesting that David is the reason for all of our problems. I just feel that there are many who believe that it is all the offensive line.

After 3 years of seeing the same results and belittling the O line, deservedly so, I just started watching DC more in the pocket and came to the conclusion that it is not all on the line when it comes to the passing game.

Right now I just want one win and I do not take care how we get there. If David plays the game of his life ths weekend then his performance will have helped achieve the result we all want and I will be extremely thankful.
Old 05-10-2009   #5
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

"#
univofchompions
univofchompions (5/9/2009 at 3:31 PM)
Report Violation

Myth: Picking Williams over Bush was a home run!

The "experts" seem to have a rule about waiting three years to evaluate a draft class. This isn't a draft class, it's a one-on-one comparison. I say the jury is still out on this one.

They say Williams is in the lead right now, most notably because of the 30 sacks v. 24 TDs. But that's only one statistic. If that were the only thing by which to judge them, I would take the 24 TDs. Even more so because 4 TDs were punt returns.

Of course TDs and sacks are just a small part of their impact on games. There are too many variables to list, and since I'm not an expert I will defer to the popular opinion that Williams has done more than Bush. For the time being.

16 TDs by Bush and 10 sacks by Williams this year might change popular opinion. And I don't even like U$C Bush."

LOL!!! I guess being the best player on your team at the position you were drafted isn't also a requirement. Just tds vs sacks without taking into account the supporting staff.
Old 05-10-2009   #6
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 172895 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

What about the "Texans ruined David Carr" myth?

Peyton Manning, Warren Moon, Troy Aikman, Eli Manning all got sacked a bunch as rookies. I think Moon held the record until HWSNBN broke it. But they worked their butts off to get better at their craft. NWSNBN... not so much.

And there's the myth that HWSNBN never had any weapons. Well, Domanick D-W turned out to be a pretty darn good back. And there's this guy name Andre Johnson that Carr had to throw to. Actually, Jabar Gaffney turned out to be a halfway decent WR when he got with a QB that could get the ball to him in N.E. Then there's the fact that HWSNBN couldn't get the ball to Steve Smith when he changed teams. But still, its all about what WE did to him...

that myth still chaps my hide
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009   #7
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2678 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm a bit torn on that one actually. I agree that he didn't seem to be a hard worker. But I also think that it's very possible that he could have been better if he was brought up on a different team. I don't know where the truth ends and the myth begins when it comes to that topic.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-10-2009   #8
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I like this one

The Texans have alot of talent on the DL because of the high draft picks that have been spent.

Our 2 previous DL coaches would like to disagree with this myth.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009   #9
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
"#
univofchompions
Report Violation

The "experts" seem to have a rule about waiting three years to evaluate a draft class. This isn't a draft class, it's a one-on-one comparison. I say the jury is still out on this one.

They say Williams is in the lead right now, most notably because of the 30 sacks v. 24 TDs. But that's only one statistic. If that were the only thing by which to judge them, I would take the 24 TDs. Even more so because 4 TDs were punt returns.

Of course TDs and sacks are just a small part of their impact on games. There are too many variables to list, and since I'm not an expert I will defer to the popular opinion that Williams has done more than Bush. For the time being.

16 TDs by Bush and 10 sacks by Williams this year might change popular opinion. And I don't even like U$C Bush."

LOL!!! I guess being the best player on your team at the position you were drafted isn't also a requirement. Just tds vs sacks without taking into account the supporting staff.
How about Reggie Bush was drafted #2 to be a game changer at Running Back?!? Sure those punt returns are an added bonus but he was drafted that high to be a RB. And this RB has not even averaged 4 yards a carry or more than 6 tds at RB his entire career. On the other hand, Mario has been a game changer at DE. In fact, he has been one of the best DEs in the NFL. Bush isn't even a top 20 RB.
Old 05-10-2009   #10
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Myth: Now that we're past the Carr era, we're set at QB, except for just the concern of his "health" factor.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009   #11
Polo

The biggest Texans myth is that Travis Johnson isn't any good.
Old 05-10-2009   #12
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Myth: Now that we're past the Carr era, we're set at QB, except for just the concern of his "health" factor.
smh
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009   #13
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2678 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I don't know what the exact definition of "set" is. I would assume it's Peyton or Brady right? That's the standard response. But it isn't much of a stretch to look at Schaub's growth over the past 2 years and especially down the stretch last year and feel VERY good about his ability to get the job done assuming he stays healthy. I don't know what you want to see from him other than continuing his improvement from last year and staying healthy. He's well on his way. He's statisically a top 10 QB and he's won 6 of his last 8 starts. In one of those two losses he was injured and left the game in the first half(Minn). Help me to understand what he needs to do better to suggest that he's not a solid pick as the starting quarterback. Compared to 31 other teams we're as "set" as at least 15 other teams. I would argue we're better off than at least 26 other teams. I think there is plenty of factual information to back up this "myth".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
Rep-ilicious!
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009   #14
Bull Pen 1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1621 Bull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
"#
univofchompions
Report Violation

How about durability? How many games has Bush misses? How many games has Williams missed?
Bull Pen 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009   #15
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Rep Power: 2317 spurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
How has that myth been busted?
spurstexanstros is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read