Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


The National Football League League News & Current Events

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2009   #1
michaelm
vox nihili
 
michaelm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Spring, TX
Section: 648
Age: 48
Posts: 5,567
Rep Power: 85708 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Former first Rounder Looking for a Second Chance

I heard an interview with this guy yesterday on NFL Radio. He really sounded like he's turned his life around and might make a decent and inexpensive pick up for some team.


Former First-Rounder Wendell Bryant Is Hoping For A Second Chance

Posted by Aaron Wilson on May 5, 2009, 9:36 a.m. EDT
Wendell Bryant realizes that he represents the ultimate cautionary tale, a prime example of how to squander a golden NFL opportunity.
Drafted in the first round by the Arizona Cardinals with the 12th overall pick seven years ago, the former Wisconsin star and two-time Big Ten Defensive Lineman of the Year ruined his NFL career by running afoul of the league’s substance abuse policy due to testing positive for marijuana and alcohol and dabbling in the party drug Ecstasy.
Ultimately, he was cut by the Cardinals in 2005 and was suspended for a year by the league for yet another strike in the drug program.
Now, a repentant and contrite Bryant says he has been clean and sober for nearly a year through devotion to a 12-step program.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/...second-chance/
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009   #2
bah007
Hall of Fame
 
bah007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Woodlands, TX
Posts: 8,433
Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Former first Rounder Looking for a Second Chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
I heard an interview with this guy yesterday on NFL Radio. He really sounded like he's turned his life around and might make a decent and inexpensive pick up for some team.


Former First-Rounder Wendell Bryant Is Hoping For A Second Chance

Posted by Aaron Wilson on May 5, 2009, 9:36 a.m. EDT
Wendell Bryant realizes that he represents the ultimate cautionary tale, a prime example of how to squander a golden NFL opportunity.
Drafted in the first round by the Arizona Cardinals with the 12th overall pick seven years ago, the former Wisconsin star and two-time Big Ten Defensive Lineman of the Year ruined his NFL career by running afoul of the league’s substance abuse policy due to testing positive for marijuana and alcohol and dabbling in the party drug Ecstasy.
Ultimately, he was cut by the Cardinals in 2005 and was suspended for a year by the league for yet another strike in the drug program.
Now, a repentant and contrite Bryant says he has been clean and sober for nearly a year through devotion to a 12-step program.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/...second-chance/
Great for him. Doesn't mean he can still play ball though.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009   #3
michaelm
vox nihili
 
michaelm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Spring, TX
Section: 648
Age: 48
Posts: 5,567
Rep Power: 85708 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Former first Rounder Looking for a Second Chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Great for him. Doesn't mean he can still play ball though.
Absolutely agree, but he might be worth giving a look at in camp for some team.
I can pretty much guarantee that some team will bring him in for the minimum, to see if there's any of that first round talent left in his tank. He's only 28.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009   #4
bah007
Hall of Fame
 
bah007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Woodlands, TX
Posts: 8,433
Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Former first Rounder Looking for a Second Chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
Absolutely agree, but he might be worth giving a look at in camp for some team.
I can pretty much guarantee that some team will bring him in for the minimum, to see if there's any of that first round talent left in his tank. He's only 28.
If he really is straightened out then somebody should give him another chance. And if he can still play, then it will work out for him.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009   #5
michaelm
vox nihili
 
michaelm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Spring, TX
Section: 648
Age: 48
Posts: 5,567
Rep Power: 85708 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Former first Rounder Looking for a Second Chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
If he really is straightened out then somebody should give him another chance. And if he can still play, then it will work out for him.
His story isn't too different from Josh Hamilton, and Hamilton isn't doing too badly.
Of course, comparing football and baseball is comparing apples and oranges.
http://texasrangers.wikia.com/wiki/Josh_Hamilton
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009   #6
bah007
Hall of Fame
 
bah007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Woodlands, TX
Posts: 8,433
Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Former first Rounder Looking for a Second Chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
His story isn't too different from Josh Hamilton, and Hamilton isn't doing too badly.
Of course, comparing football and baseball is comparing apples and oranges.
http://texasrangers.wikia.com/wiki/Josh_Hamilton
Well I kind of agree with you. Hamilton turned the corner and someone gave him a chance. Now he is doing well.

There is also a huge talent gap between those two guys in their respective sports though. Hamilton is considered by many scouts to be the (or one of) best high school baseball player ever. So I wouldn't say that Bryant's chances for success are as high as Hamilton's.

Not a bad comparison though.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger