Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-05-2009   #1
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 55500 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Pete Carroll discussion describing our defense, I think.

I ran into this article a couple months ago and JLR has posted it on his Fanblog at chron.com/sports. I'm about 90% certain that this is the base defense Frank Bush is going to work from.

USC 4-3 Under Blitz Schemes

Quote:
By Pete Carroll
Head Football Coach
University of Southern California

Thank you. I am really excited to be here. I want to start by thanking Nike for putting on these clinics. It gives us a chance to exchange ideas, have some fun, and talk about the game we love.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009   #2
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 55500 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Pete Carroll discussion describing our defense, I think.

Quote:
continued...

http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans...ics_neede.html
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009   #3
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

This has been posted in at least three different threads.

http://www.trojanfootballanalysis.co...z_schemes.html
Old 05-05-2009   #4
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
This has been posted in at least three different threads.

http://www.trojanfootballanalysis.co...z_schemes.html
Yep
Old 05-06-2009   #5
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I noticed he said he doesn't want his team reading and then reacting. That he wants them to shoot gaps and be quick off the ball. I remember that once our defense (or Mario) started to stop reading and reacting, the productivity got so much better.

Also he says you have to have fast WR to play the bump and run. Jacque Reeves, Mccain and I even think Molden all run pretty good so I can see where we loaded up on this.

The other thing that stuck out to me was how he doesn't like his safeties to have to many assignments. I recall our secondary would get burned because the safeties were out of place alot. So I wonder how we do after we don't give our safeties alot of assignments.

There is a clear difference in what this defense does vs. Richard Smith's defense.

So based on this alignment how would our front 7 look? I forget who plays Sam and Will I always get them mixed up.

I think Okoye can have a good year in this D if he gets his head out of his butt.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009   #6
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
I noticed he said he doesn't want his team reading and then reacting. That he wants them to shoot gaps and be quick off the ball. I remember that once our defense (or Mario) started to stop reading and reacting, the productivity got so much better.

Also he says you have to have fast WR to play the bump and run. Jacque Reeves, Mccain and I even think Molden all run pretty good so I can see where we loaded up on this.

The other thing that stuck out to me was how he doesn't like his safeties to have to many assignments. I recall our secondary would get burned because the safeties were out of place alot. So I wonder how we do after we don't give our safeties alot of assignments.

There is a clear difference in what this defense does vs. Richard Smith's defense.

So based on this alignment how would our front 7 look? I forget who plays Sam and Will I always get them mixed up.

I think Okoye can have a good year in this D if he gets his head out of his butt.
I'm assuming on this but I think our starting front seven will look like this :

Cushing Ryans June

Mario Okoye TJ Smith

Should be a fun camp battle between June and Adibi. I think Deljuan Robinson will be pushing TJ for the start and I'd love to see a Frank Okam sighting. IF this the sort of defense we'll be running then the whole team will benefit a lot just from knowing what we want to do instead of guessing in Richard Smith's defense. One thing I'm glad we did in the draft was get faster as a team on defense.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009   #7
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Antonio Smith...Amobi Okoye..Travis Johnson..Mario Williams
........Brian Cushing...........Demeco Ryans......Xavier Adibi

Mario Williams................Amobi Okoye...Antonio Smith....Connor Barwin
.......Brian Cushing........Demeco Ryans..........Xavier Adibi

Last edited by Ole Miss Texan; 05-06-2009 at 03:43 PM.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-06-2009   #8
Polo

I doubt Connor Barwin will play LDE...

When Barwin and MArio are in the game together I expect MArio to slide to the LDE and for Barwin to man the right side...
Old 05-06-2009   #9
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
I doubt Connor Barwin will play LDE...

When Barwin and MArio are in the game together I expect MArio to slide to the LDE and for Barwin to man the right side...
Edited. Wasn't too sure about their set up. I guess Mario moves to the strongside for passing downs and Barwin comes in on the weakside? Makes sense to me.
Old 05-06-2009   #10
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't help but feel we are loaded at LB if Diles comes back 100%.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009   #11
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post

Mario Williams................Shaun Cody...Amobi Okoye....Connor Barwin
I would expect Smith to be at DT when Barwin is in the game. Also, if its a passing down, look for June somewhere. He is alot better in coverage, more of a playmaker than most guys on our whole team.
Old 05-06-2009   #12
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Should be a fun camp battle between June and Adibi.
I wouldn't mind seeing an Ephriam Salaam/Duane Brown type situation with these two guys...

I personally think that if Adibi remains healthy he wins it outright and the competition won't really be close. But I think that if June plays well he will have some value to the team. Especially on passing downs...
Old 05-06-2009   #13
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing an Ephriam Salaam/Duane Brown type situation with these two guys...

I personally think that if Adibi remains healthy he wins it outright and the competition won't really be close. But I think that if June plays well he will have some value to the team. Especially on passing downs...
I think June will give him a run for his money. The more competition the better. I love our flexability. If we want, we could have Cushing and Barwin at DE, Mario and Smith/Okoye at DT, then June/Adibi and Demeco. I like it.
Old 05-06-2009   #14
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
I would expect Smith to be at DT when Barwin is in the game. Also, if its a passing down, look for June somewhere. He is alot better in coverage, more of a playmaker than most guys on our whole team.
Edited. You're totally right, I have no idea why I left him out! I think I was too concerned between the Cody/TJ battle. I'm really looking forward to Mario, Smith, Amobi and Barwin all on the line rushing the QB... and then Cushing coming up to blitz too. This defensive front 7 is going to be completely different than what we've had in the past.
Old 05-06-2009   #15
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Edited. You're totally right, I have no idea why I left him out! I think I was too concerned between the Cody/TJ battle. I'm really looking forward to Mario, Smith, Amobi and Barwin all on the line rushing the QB... and then Cushing coming up to blitz too. This defensive front 7 is going to be completely different than what we've had in the past.
Yeah I agree with you. That is potentially alot of pressure coming at the QB all at once. Especially after Barwin gets broken in a bit. It will be a very similar look to the Giants line the year they won the Super Bowl. Not as talented but a very similar look.
Old 05-06-2009   #16
Ckw

Quote:

Mario Williams................Amobi Okoye...Antonio Smith....Connor Barwin
Wow! Just wow! Looking at this on paper has me extremely excited. That right there is a stacked defense. Our front 7 just might make our secondary look respectable.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read