Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-04-2009   #1
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1365 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default [ESPN] Checking the polls: Texans

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcsouth

Last week I pointed you to links that gave you a chance to chime in on some questions about the Texans.

Here's a review of where things stand over at SportsNation, with commentary.

What's the best case scenario for the Texans?

* Win Super Bowl
* Deep playoff run
* Early playoff exit
* Miss playoffs

Right now, 53 percent of you say early playoff exit. Correct. If things fall into place for the Texans, I see them as a one-and-done team gaining valuable experience.

Is Matt Schaub a franchise quarterback?

* Yes
* No

Right now, 53 percent of you say yes. Correct again. This depends on your definition of franchise quarterback. But I believe the Texans are in better shape at quarterback than 15 other teams with Schaub in place as their starter and that's a yes to me. Of course staying healthy and not turning the ball over so much could really solidify his case.

How should Texans fans feel about their team as compared to last year?

* Significantly better
* Slightly better
* Slightly worse
* Significantly worse
* About the same

Right now 60 percent of you say slightly better. Correct. They've improved the defensive line, got a lead linebacker in Brian Cushing and will be deeper and more effective at tight end. But there were no definite upgrades in the secondary.

Which player could the Texans least afford to lose to a long-term injury?

* Andre Johnson
* Amobi Okoye
* DeMeco Ryans
* Matt Schaub
* Mario Williams

Right now, 60 percent of you say Johnson. Correct. He's the team's best player. And the Texans are a team capable of really lighting it up on offense. If they do everything else can find their niche and fit in. If not, they could crumble.

Will Brian Cushing open the season in the starting lineup?

* Yes
* No

Right now, 86 percent of you say yes. Correct. And how this isn't 100 percent is a mystery. Who do you want starting ahead of him?

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009   #2
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 273403 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: [ESPN] Checking the polls: Texans

I voted pretty much with the majority. The one exception being I voted "Deep Playoff Run" in the first poll.
Hey, whaddaya want from me; I'm a
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009   #3
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I voted pretty much with the majority. The one exception being I voted "Deep Playoff Run" in the first poll.
Hey, whaddaya want from me; I'm a
this
Old 05-04-2009   #4
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135371 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans34Life View Post
What's the best case scenario for the Texans?

* Win Super Bowl
* Deep playoff run
* Early playoff exit
* Miss playoffs

Right now, 53 percent of you say early playoff exit. Correct. If things fall into place for the Texans, I see them as a one-and-done team gaining valuable experience.
I wonder what the Titans learned last year.
Old 05-04-2009   #5
Texaninlild
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4558 Texaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Texaninlild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
I wonder what the Titans learned last year.
They learned that they wasted their 3rd pick in the 2006 draft.

I am a Christian

Philippians 4:13
Texaninlild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009   #6
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 176918 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texaninlild View Post
They learned that they wasted their 3rd pick in the 2006 draft.
This statement makes Vince Young a sad panda.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009   #7
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 877 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
This statement makes Vince Young a sad panda.

[Mack Brown] what are you talking about? I have complete confidence the guy will be in the football hall of fame some day [/Mack Brown]
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-04-2009   #8
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans34Life View Post
Which player could the Texans least afford to lose to a long-term injury?

* Andre Johnson
* Amobi Okoye
* DeMeco Ryans
* Matt Schaub
* Mario Williams

Right now, 60 percent of you say Johnson. Correct. He's the team's best player. And the Texans are a team capable of really lighting it up on offense. If they do everything else can find their niche and fit in. If not, they could crumble.
This is the only one I disagree with. While losing AJ (well any of our guys) long term would suck, I don't think that would be the worst for our team. The guy's totally awesome and imo the best WR in the league but we lost AJ for several games in 2007 and we've got a 'deep' WR group. I think we'd lose offense for sure but it wouldn't be the biggest impact.

The way I read the question "least afford", to me means "what would impact the team the most". And that's Mario Williams. Mario is dominate. without him, we'd have Antonio Smith and probably Tim Bulman starting. Connor Barwin would see much more PT but is still a rookie. I feel really good about our DL but if we lost Mario, I don't think they'd be very productive. AJ may be the BEST player but I think Mario is our most Valuable. He got, what..14 of our 25 sacks last year!?
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009   #9
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Goal should be to win the Super Bowl every year. Is it realistic? Probably not. But these guys get paid to win a Super Bowl ultimately not to just make the playoffs and exit.
Old 05-04-2009   #10
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6845 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

Good point OMT. WR is actually one of the deepest postions on the team. One could argue that losing Schaub would be worse than losing AJ.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009   #11
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 877 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
This is the only one I disagree with. While losing AJ (well any of our guys) long term would suck, I don't think that would be the worst for our team. The guy's totally awesome and imo the best WR in the league but we lost AJ for several games in 2007 and we've got a 'deep' WR group. I think we'd lose offense for sure but it wouldn't be the biggest impact.

The way I read the question "least afford", to me means "what would impact the team the most". And that's Mario Williams. Mario is dominate. without him, we'd have Antonio Smith and probably Tim Bulman starting. Connor Barwin would see much more PT but is still a rookie. I feel really good about our DL but if we lost Mario, I don't think they'd be very productive. AJ may be the BEST player but I think Mario is our most Valuable. He got, what..14 of our 25 sacks last year!?
You read my mind OMT great post
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009   #12
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Really could go both ways with AJ and Mario. After a some thought i have come to the conclusion Barwin might be a big gamble but looking past Mario and Antonio smith we've got no one that we know that can play DE. I'm still concerned with how raw he is though and this somewhat new staff's ability to coach up and develop players.

I'd also think there is a VERY strong case that we can't afford to lose Steve Slaton. Unless Johnson or Foster turns into a gem or we grab someone in FA this running game might grind to a halt.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009   #13
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 176918 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Really could go both ways with AJ and Mario. After a some thought i have come to the conclusion Barwin might be a big gamble but looking past Mario and Antonio smith we've got no one that we know that can play DE. I'm still concerned with how raw he is though and this somewhat new staff's ability to coach up and develop players.

I'd also think there is a VERY strong case that we can't afford to lose Steve Slaton. Unless Johnson or Foster turns into a gem or we grab someone in FA this running game might grind to a halt.
I would be torn between Schaub and Slaton. Schaub and the offensive were able to move the ball without Johnson. Remember the other Andre? Davis was effective two years ago. He sort of disappeared last year (which I didn't understand), but I think our WR is pretty durn good, so losing AJ wouldn't cripple the team. Schaub going out for any length of time just scares me.

Losing Slaton means we would have to depend on....uh....who exactly to run the ball? Lose that dimension of our offense and we're back to the Ron Dayne "lost years."

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009   #14
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 122990 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I would be torn between Schaub and Slaton. Schaub and the offensive were able to move the ball without Johnson. Remember the other Andre? Davis was effective two years ago. He sort of disappeared last year (which I didn't understand), but I think our WR is pretty durn good, so losing AJ wouldn't cripple the team. Schaub going out for any length of time just scares me.

Losing Slaton means we would have to depend on....uh....who exactly to run the ball? Lose that dimension of our offense and we're back to the james allen "lost years."
fixed it for ya
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009   #15
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 72911 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

The first question seems stupid to me. The best case scenario for any team in the NFL is a superbowl win. "Any Given Sunday" means that any team can win the big game. And if you make the playoffs, you certainly have a shot.

I voted superbowl win. It says "best case scenario." Not "Most likely scenario" If he thinks we're likely to get a one and done in the playoffs, how is that our best case scenario?
Old 05-05-2009   #16
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 273403 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Losing Slaton means we would have to depend on....uh....who exactly to run the ball? Lose that dimension of our offense and we're back to the Ron Dayne "lost years."
We believe Ron Dayne was the most impactful player the Texans' have ever had.

signed,
The Krystal Donut shops of greater Houston
Old 05-05-2009   #17
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
The first question seems stupid to me. The best case scenario for any team in the NFL is a superbowl win. "Any Given Sunday" means that any team can win the big game. And if you make the playoffs, you certainly have a shot.

I voted superbowl win. It says "best case scenario." Not "Most likely scenario" If he thinks we're likely to get a one and done in the playoffs, how is that our best case scenario?

given that your assertion is true, every team covets a Super Bowl win at the outset of the season, I interpreted the question as a "most likely scenario" query. Otherwise, why even ask?
Old 05-05-2009   #18
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Mario isn't anywhere is as dominant at DE as AJ is at WR. The offense totally changes with AJ out and there is no way we have a top 5 unit again without him long term. With Mario out our bad defense is still bad.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009   #19
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Andre could not achieve his status until he had a QB that could get him the ball on a consistant basis, a lot of parts go into that but clearly a healthy Schaub is the real MVP
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009   #20
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: [ESPN] Checking the polls: Texans

Quote:

....and when AJ was out, I kept saying over and over that 1 player cannot make that much of a difference, we have other issues. I stated we would improve when he was back, but that everyone was over-reacting.

I was proven dead wrong.

When he came back, how our offense played and how defenses played us changed - it was night and day with/without AJ.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read