Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-04-2009   #1
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2678 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Shanahan thinks the "wildcat" is stupid too

Or rather, "good for giving the defense looks."

Quote:
When we run Wildcat, itís more to give our defense a look, Shanahan says. I think there are a lot of other ways to get people the ball. ...The Wildcat takes a lot of commitment if youíre going to use it, and that takes away from what our offense really is.
From Chron article: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/6405172.html

Such a relief to know that our OC is planning on winning games using real football plays instead of schemes drawn up on a vibrating football board.

Go Texans.
barrett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009   #2
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Shanahan thinks the "wildcat" is stupid too

The Wildcat got compared to the shotgun, but I just don't see it being around much longer.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009   #3
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

And by "giving the defense looks" I think he means giving the TEXANS defense looks in practice preparing for teams like the Dolphins. Besides, the Wildcat is for pathetic offenses that can't find yardage anywhere else other than direct snapping it to their runningback (usually their best offensive threat)
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009   #4
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I liked seeing teams use it at times last year but it seemed to get out of hand pretty quickly.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009   #5
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

The Wildcat is just a gimmick. It's not something you can build an offense around. It's just a nice toy that a team can go to a few times per game.

To be honest, I'm really not that interested in running it at all unless we are going to use it significantly. I would rather prepare Casey for a role as an H Back. I think that will turn out to be his best fit.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009   #6
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
The Wildcat is just a gimmick. It's not something you can build an offense around. It's just a nice toy that a team can go to a few times per game.

To be honest, I'm really not that interested in running it at all unless we are going to use it significantly. I would rather prepare Casey for a role as an H Back. I think that will turn out to be his best fit.
I think an insider receiver is his best fit. A scout said before the combine that "his next block will be his first block" (as heard on Path to the Draft NFLN). Not the kind of thing you want said about an h-back or fullback. But blocking can be learned and I'm not on the Texans coaching staff so what does my opinion matter
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009   #7
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce

Rep Power: 4281 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think the Wildcat offense is stupid. You just need the right players to run that offense, which the Texans do not have IMO.

Remember the Oilers and the run-and-shoot? They had the right players to run the offense.

With the Dolphins drafting Pat White, I'd be REALLY scared of the possibilities it gives them now running the Wildcat, they're almost endless!
Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-04-2009   #8
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
I think an insider receiver is his best fit. A scout said before the combine that "his next block will be his first block" (as heard on Path to the Draft NFLN). Not the kind of thing you want said about an h-back or fullback. But blocking can be learned and I'm not on the Texans coaching staff so what does my opinion matter
I think Casey will play most often as a slot WR early in his career, but I think that with good coaching he can eventually evolve into an H Back.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009   #9
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

At best the wildcat is a phase....

Why it throws most defenses off is that a lot of times the "QB" is running back that takes the snap and takes off. Screwing up the timing for most defensive players.

IMO football is all about timing...And when you veer away from the traditional Snap to the QB, hand off, or ur typical step drop, it takes a little getting used to.

Now that there has been a year of the wildcat being run in the pros, i am pretty sure that you will see the effectiveness go way down.
Old 05-04-2009   #10
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari-OWNED! View Post
I don't think the Wildcat offense is stupid. You just need the right players to run that offense, which the Texans do not have IMO.

Remember the Oilers and the run-and-shoot? They had the right players to run the offense.

With the Dolphins drafting Pat White, I'd be REALLY scared of the possibilities it gives them now running the Wildcat, they're almost endless!
I remember the Oilers had a great offensive line, incredible talent and depth at RB, a lot of talent on defense and decided to waste all of that and run that stupid offense which prevented them from seriously contending for a championship.

When it's 3rd and goal at the one yard line and you line up with 4 WRs every single time because you don't have a FB or TE on your roster, I think that pretty well illustrates that the decision-makers really don't understand football. Or, when you have a 32 point lead in the second half of a football game in January in Buffalo and the only running play you can run is a draw play, I think that's a sign that you have a pretty silly offensive philosophy.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009   #11
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

As was said before, its a way for a sub par offense to trick a defense a few times. Toward the end of the year, it didn't do as well and teams exploited it. I don't think it does much this year, with teams having a whole off zseason to prepair for it.
Old 05-04-2009   #12
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe I overlooked it in the article, but where does it say that Shanahan thinks the "wildcat" is stupid?
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009   #13
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

You guys are so funny to listen to. You sound like a bunch of old people complaining about this new fangled "rock and roll" music. Its not real music, after all.

How is the wild cat not real football? It follows all the rules. Its just innovative and based on tricking the defense. Are you against play action passes as well?

I personally like the wildcat because I like innovation. I hope coaches continue to try out new ways of moving the ball on offense and stopping it on defense. I hope our coaches are open minded enough to think outside the box. If you don't like other teams using it, find a way to stop it.

If the Texans had been the ones to start the NFL wildcat and it led us to the playoffs, Im sure many of you would be singing a different tune

I just personally think its fun to watch. Anything that makes opposing defenses waste time in practice is ok by me

Last edited by gtexan02; 05-04-2009 at 07:38 AM.
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009   #14
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 80683 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

I have no problem if we run the Wildcat, I just don't want to see Jacoby being the one taking the snap ever again.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009   #15
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 172895 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
You guys are so funny to listen to. You sound like a bunch of old people complaining about this new fangled "rock and roll" music. Its not real music, after all.

How is the wild cat not real football? It follows all the rules. Its just innovative and based on tricking the defense. Are you against play action passes as well?

I personally like the wildcat because I like innovation. I hope coaches continue to try out new ways of moving the ball on offense and stopping it on defense. I hope our coaches are open minded enough to think outside the box. If you don't like other teams using it, find a way to stop it.

If the Texans had been the ones to start the NFL wildcat and it led us to the playoffs, Im sure many of you would be singing a different tune
Or like the early, early football folks talking about that newfangled forward pass thing. "It'll never last. Real football players RUN with the ball! DagNabbit!!"
LOL.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009   #16
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Kid Shanny better lighten up because they just drafted a guy who almost garauntees that we'll see some innovative play calling. Call it what you will, the next step in the evolution of wildcat is a guy who can throw and run...guys like James Casey. I don't think anybody expects it to be half the playbook but disregarding something that could be really, really effective if done properly because "it's a phase" or you just plain don't like it is STUPID.

His next block will be his first? Yeah, it'll also be the first time anyone asked him to do that instead of be the heart, soul, legs, arm and brain of the offense. And a safety on defense.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009   #17
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144920 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I remember the Oilers had a great offensive line, incredible talent and depth at RB, a lot of talent on defense and decided to waste all of that and run that stupid offense which prevented them from seriously contending for a championship.

When it's 3rd and goal at the one yard line and you line up with 4 WRs every single time because you don't have a FB or TE on your roster, I think that pretty well illustrates that the decision-makers really don't understand football. Or, when you have a 32 point lead in the second half of a football game in January in Buffalo and the only running play you can run is a draw play, I think that's a sign that you have a pretty silly offensive philosophy.
I bet the Oilers are the only team in history with two HOF offensive linemen never to win a superbowl .
Old 05-04-2009   #18
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post

I just personally think its fun to watch. Anything that makes opposing defenses waste time in practice is ok by me
Dad gum it! You kids don't get the way football is supposed to be. In my day we ran the single wing offense and we loved it! None of this new fangled forward pass stuff. We didn't need it...

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009   #19
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

The Wildcat, when first instroduced, caught everyone flat-footed every time. As time went on, it was less effective, but effective enough to be an overall advantage. It does not only need to be used by a team with so-called weaknesses. With a team like ours, it can prove to be a "keep the defense honest" encouragement. With some players on the team that have QB experience, with us running a modified spread offense, with a back like Slaton, with monster TE/HBs, our team can run this type of formation without a tremendous amount of time and effort being put into it (since it closely parallels plays we already run). Adding this to our repetoire will only keep defenses from pinning back their ears. And with the WRs we have, that carry the long bomb threat on every play, the Wildcat will drive the safeties crazy........something that occurs when even weak offense teams use it.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009   #20
Polo

The only way I'd want to see this team implement a Wild cat package is after these players and these coaches have been here for a while...Then we can try all that stuff...

But as of right now, I want to see them do a better job utilizing the scheme we already have in place...

I think that the wildcat can be effective but it's something that will take a lot of practicing..And that's the kicker...our ZBS already takes a lot of practice because of all the small details that go into making any given play successful...

I just think that at this point there isn't enough practice time to get new players up to speed with our scheme and try to implement a wildcat...If they want to use it every blue moon thats one thing...but to implement it as a regular package is a whole other challenge..

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read