Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-29-2005   #81
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3791 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Swancutt is around 260, and he shared Pac 10 defenisve player of the year honors with Shaun Cody of USC. When you look at his size you'd think he'd be a perfect OLB in a 3-4. An undersized DE who's got great pass rushing abilities. However, to be a 3-4 OLB you need the abililty to cover TEs, RBs, etc from time to time. Since he didn't play LB any during the game its tough to judge whether or not he'd be a good OLB. I haven't seen enough of him at OSU to make a determination just yet, but once he hits the combines we'll have a better idea of his speed and agility.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005   #82
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 61262 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID
Here is some guys that stuck out at me in today's game:

1) David Baas: I had some questions on this guy coming into today's game. He didn't have an impressive Shrine Game, so it was great seeing this guy get another chance. Baas looked very good, he always seem to overpower his guy at the line. Looked good in pass coverage as well--He seemed to continue his block what ever the DT did, whether is be bull-rushing, spinning, ripping, swimming, he was able to handle it. Also did a great job of getting out and blocking on screens. One problem though was that for the last 6 minutes of the 1st Half he played against a Bama DT that was a career back-up.

2) Alex Holmes: This guy came in as the #2 TE in this draft, and made a strong case to come in and possibly be a late 1st round pick. He runs great routes, is fast coming off the line, has some prutty good hands and was a target for the North QB all game. I didn't see him run block much, which I wanted to see.

3) Marcus Spears: When I first saw Spears I thought naw this guy can be that skinny, but boy that kid is a beast. He is very fast coming off the outside and has a motor for either finding the QB or the RB. Only thing I saw wrong was he was a little over agressive, he missed a sack on one play because he was TOO fast coming off the edge, and took a bad angle on a running play that cost the South an extra 5 yards.

Some other guys who turned heads but we won't have to worry about: Charlie Frye, Jason Campbell, Swancutt (could this guy play DE in the 3-4? Is a small DT.......might be a "tweener") Darren Sproles (he is a 4th round pick, maybe a KR for us?) Mike Nugent: I want Nugent to be a Texan, I like this kid a lot and could be the next Vinateri. DRAFT HIM NOW.
I hope you meant Alex smith from stanford...Alex Holmes from USC is slow and short even though he has decents hands. Smith is closer to the modern pass catching TE.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005   #83
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3791 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Holmes had a pretty good game receiving, but I don't think he was the 2nd rated TE available in the draft. At least he wasn't the 2nd rated TE on any position ranking I've seen. Most have Smith, Cross, and Dreesen ahead of him. I still wouldn't mind seeing the Texans get him with one of their 2nd day picks, but that would likely mean Joppru isn't progressing well in his recovery.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005   #84
TexansCanes
All Pro

spears has really imporved his stock this week. he had a slow start but really came alive at the end of the year. i don't know how many times he came up with a big sack at the end of the game when the game was on the line. kiper said that he should be a early first rounder (1-15) after this week, so maybe if we do go d-line then i think he is our man. he is around 294 and reports are that he doesn't have the much fat on him, so he probably could a few pounds if he had to. also gruden tried him at lb this week and he was suppose to play basketball at LSU, so that just shows you what kind of althete he is.
Old 01-30-2005   #85
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansCanes
spears has really imporved his stock this week.
I hope he hasn't improved it too much, but we might have to hustle to get him @ 13 in the first round. I'm not saying he's the second coming of Julius Peppers, but for a 290 pounder guy who is so fit ( obviously very low on body fat), quick and just very athletic, the comparison comes to mind. And if he is in fact > 290, he is big enough and athletic enough to play DT or DE in
the NFL. Weak draft including weak for defensive lineman this year, he may
vanish from the Board very quickly once the draft begins in April.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005   #86
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

vanish off the board @ the 11th pick via the revamped 3-4 boyz defense
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005   #87
TexansCanes
All Pro

if thats true than that will leave another good defensive player for us, so if he is gone than it isn't that big of a deal.
Old 01-30-2005   #88
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

The Cowboys have tiny LBs. Can they go to 3-4 with tiny LBs ? They need alot to bad we have their 3rd round pick. I'd give it back for Roy Williams.

Last edited by Honoring Earl 34; 01-30-2005 at 06:44 PM.
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005   #89
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
vanish off the board @ the 11th pick via the revamped 3-4 boyz defense
Logically, a team converting from 4-3 to 3-4 would need LBs and not DLineman, and vice versa.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005   #90
THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID
Rookie

Send a message via MSN to THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID Send a message via Yahoo to THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID

Quote:
I'd like to get your impression of how he played in the Shrine game. Please tell me what you saw. Shrine Bowl rosters
I know he played in that game unless I was seeing things........I dunno Oh yeah I did mean Alex Smith, can't beleive I would get those names mixed up but oh well what can I say I'm a
THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read