Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-29-2005   #61
AndreJ
All Pro

Did anyone see the Lt manhandle the dlineman on that last run play?
Old 01-29-2005   #62
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Khalif Barnes (LT) and Bill Swancutt (DL) were impressive and stood out to May and Kiper when they were going over the first half play.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005   #63
AndreJ
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Khalif Barnes and Bill Swancutt were stand outs in the first half according to May and Kiper.
Yeah Swancutt was all over the field. I wasn't even aware fo this guy till this game ( I also don't watch much college football) but he has played an excellent 1st half.
Old 01-29-2005   #64
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

I'd hope Swancutt got their attention. He's got like 2 sacks already right? He is a bit undersized though. Great pass rusher still.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005   #65
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow, Sproles just ripped one into the endzone.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005   #66
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected

Sproles is playing very well.
Old 01-29-2005   #67
AndreJ
All Pro

Too bad that he's gonna catch hell by scouts and stuff just because of his height. That is ridiculous. He's got everything else including plenty of speed and nice cutbacks. I really liked what I saw by him on thata series.
Old 01-29-2005   #68
AndreJ
All Pro

Looks like there are a good group of TE's coming out of this draft this year or atleast in this game. Alex Smith and Holmes have looked pretty good today and also Cody McCarty. I'm also takin it that Heath Miller is a JR.

Last edited by AndreJ; 01-29-2005 at 05:18 PM.
AndreJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005   #69
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346
Sproles is playing very well.
I've seen some comapre him to Dave Meggett.

Old 01-29-2005   #70
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Did Matt Jones (former Arkansas QB) play much at TE? And if he did, how did he look?
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005   #71
TexansCanes
All Pro

last couple of drives he was in at wr. he had the lone td catch for the south at the end of the game. other than that i never really saw much of him.
Old 01-29-2005   #72
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy
Did Matt Jones (former Arkansas QB) play much at TE? And if he did, how did he look?
He made a couple catches at WR, and I don't recall seeing him at TE. As TexansCanes mentioned he had a TD grab at the end of the game, and he had another catch earlier in the game. He looks pretty good at WR considering that it's his first time playing the position against top level CBs and Safeties. He's deceptively fast. He didn't get many oppurtunities to stand out today because the entire offense of the South seemed to struggle.
Old 01-29-2005   #73
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346
Baas has looked impressive at C.
Geez, the guy is huge, a real man-mountain. But he's so slow & plodding,
not gonna be pretty when he's match up against a nimble DT for pass protection.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005   #74
Vinny
shiny happy fan

He didn't look slow to me. If you look at his footwork he has great feet. I don't see how he has gotten this knock all of a sudden

Old 01-29-2005   #75
texasguy346
Mod Squad

He didn't look all that slow to me. He was one of the first guys down to congratulate the RB out of Northwestern, Herron I think is his name, on the TD catch. I also noticed he put the extra effort on a broken screen pass play, but that very well may have been because he missed a block. I'm not sure because he was out of the screen at that point. It was a screen pass to Kay Jay Harris, but it looked as if none of the OLinemen got out in front of him. Baas was running back to where Harris caught the ball, and made a cut block on a LB or DE. It didn't really allow Harris to gain any yards because there were other defenders over there. Ended up as a loss, but it showed good hustle on Baas's part.
Old 01-29-2005   #76
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Fortunately I taped the game, I'll have to take a closer look at him - maybe he's quicker than I realized.
Spears is really impressive, but is he big enough
to be a down lineman in an NFL 3-4 ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005   #77
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
Fortunately I taped the game, I'll have to take a closer look at him - maybe he's quicker than I realized.
Yeah he's big enough. He's reported at 297 and 298 lbs, and he has the frame to add on more weight if neccessary.
Old 01-29-2005   #78
AndreJ
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
Since plenty have been wondering this same question I decided to do a little research. One of the greats, Richard Seymour of the Patriots is 6-6 and wieghs in @ 305. Anthony Weaver of Baltimore is 6-3 and 296 and Kimo Von Oelhoffen of Pittsburgh is 6-3 @ 297.

Those are all good 3-4 DE's in successful defenses.

Our current Defensive Ends in our system are Robaire (Who I acutally like) who list at 6-4, 310 lbs. and Gary Walker 6-2, 305 lbs. Neither one of them has noticeable speed and i think that may be part of why we can't get a good pass rush even though it is mostly the linebackers job in the 3-4 Defense to get to the QB.

Marcus Spears is 6-4 @ 298 and as previously said has room to add weight if needed. Shaun Cody is also 6-4 and 295 lbs. I would like to see us get either of these guys (Spears particulary, because of his speed). I also like the way Spears played in the Senior Bowl today. From what I saw he had alot of patience and good awareness. He also stuck with a play and never gave up.

So the answer to your question is yes Spears could fit in as a 3-4 D-Lineman for us. One more thing, Mel Kiper said today that scouts have taken more notice of him and he could be moving down to about the Top 15 in the draft.
Old 01-29-2005   #79
THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID
Rookie

Send a message via MSN to THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID Send a message via Yahoo to THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID

Here is some guys that stuck out at me in today's game:

1) David Baas: I had some questions on this guy coming into today's game. He didn't have an impressive Shrine Game, so it was great seeing this guy get another chance. Baas looked very good, he always seem to overpower his guy at the line. Looked good in pass coverage as well--He seemed to continue his block what ever the DT did, whether is be bull-rushing, spinning, ripping, swimming, he was able to handle it. Also did a great job of getting out and blocking on screens. One problem though was that for the last 6 minutes of the 1st Half he played against a Bama DT that was a career back-up.

2) Alex Holmes: This guy came in as the #2 TE in this draft, and made a strong case to come in and possibly be a late 1st round pick. He runs great routes, is fast coming off the line, has some prutty good hands and was a target for the North QB all game. I didn't see him run block much, which I wanted to see.

3) Marcus Spears: When I first saw Spears I thought naw this guy can be that skinny, but boy that kid is a beast. He is very fast coming off the outside and has a motor for either finding the QB or the RB. Only thing I saw wrong was he was a little over agressive, he missed a sack on one play because he was TOO fast coming off the edge, and took a bad angle on a running play that cost the South an extra 5 yards.

Some other guys who turned heads but we won't have to worry about: Charlie Frye, Jason Campbell, Swancutt (could this guy play DE in the 3-4? Is a small DT.......might be a "tweener") Darren Sproles (he is a 4th round pick, maybe a KR for us?) Mike Nugent: I want Nugent to be a Texan, I like this kid a lot and could be the next Vinateri. DRAFT HIM NOW.
THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005   #80
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID
Here is some guys that stuck out at me in today's game:

1) David Baas: I had some questions on this guy coming into today's game. He didn't have an impressive Shrine Game, so it was great seeing this guy get another chance.
I'd like to get your impression of how he played in the Shrine game. Please tell me what you saw. Shrine Bowl rosters

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read