Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-03-2009   #1
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Ryan Moats Has NOT Retired

In case some of you thought the Dallas incident somehow got him off the team.

It baffles me how Chris Brown is more known around here than Moats. Moats has actually scored for us, I don't think I've seen Brown in Texans colors yet.

Check this for proof:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiDry94SS7A

You can also see Briesel prove we don't have a need at guard.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009   #2
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 104376 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ryan Moats Has NOT Retired

I've been talking about him since the draft. Guy played tough and left it on the field the little he was on the field for us.

Seems like everyone wants a big name yet won't give this kid his chance.

Do your thing Ryan - prove'em wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009   #3
hot pickle
السلام عليكم

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

i've always like ryan moats... i thought for sure him and westbrook would end up splitting carries in philly glad hes on the texans and hope he can make the team again
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009   #4
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Who the hell thought he retired, or even wasn't on the team?
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009   #5
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstars View Post
Who the hell thought he retired, or even wasn't on the team?
Hyperbole.

A few people on here and in the media have been talking like the only backup we had on the team prior to picking up the UDFA's was Chris Brown. Personally, I think Ryan did a very good job as a backup last year and it's going to be very difficult to take the #2 position from him.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009   #6
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, the little time Moats was on the field, he looked good. His style of play is all heart with a non-stop motor. That being said, I haven't seen nearly enough of him to even consider declaring him our solution to backing up Slaton.
Old 05-03-2009   #7
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstars View Post
Well, the little time Moats was on the field, he looked good. His style of play is all heart with a non-stop motor. That being said, I haven't seen nearly enough of him to even consider declaring him our solution to backing up Slaton.
I don't think we want a rook as the first backup unless he's unusually quick at learning how to pick up pass pro and read defenses. So, the #2 spot goes to either Brown or Moats.

Brown, I don't trust because of his injury history.

The fact that they pulled Slaton for a couple of series against the Bears because his head wasn't in the game and Moats came in and performed very well to help get us to 2 TDs was enough to put him at #2 until someone can knock him out of the spot. (He also did well in some of his spot performances prior to that.)
Sponsored links
Old 05-03-2009   #8
Allstar
Bona fide

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I don't think we want a rook as the first backup unless he's unusually quick at learning how to pick up pass pro and read defenses. So, the #2 spot goes to either Brown or Moats.

Brown, I don't trust because of his injury history.

The fact that they pulled Slaton for a couple of series against the Bears because his head wasn't in the game and Moats came in and performed very well to help get us to 2 TDs was enough to put him at #2 until someone can knock him out of the spot. (He also did well in some of his spot performances prior to that.)
I agree with what you're saying. If we can consistently get the same production out of Moats that we have seen from him in his limited playing time, then we should be set. The issue is that we haven't really seen to much of him, so there may be holes in his game you don't see in more limited minutes or particular situations.
Old 05-03-2009   #9
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

For me Moats is the reason why I didnt want us to panic and draft a RB this year. When he stepped in last season to help carry the load for Slaton, he looked real good.

I have no problem with Slaton, Moats + a couple of rookies going into the season.
Old 05-03-2009   #10
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 173167 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hyperbole.

A few people on here and in the media have been talking like the only backup we had on the team prior to picking up the UDFA's was Chris Brown. Personally, I think Ryan did a very good job as a backup last year and it's going to be very difficult to take the #2 position from him.
Blame Rick Smith's pre-draft presser for that outlook. You must recall that it was Rick Smith that named Chris Brown - not Ryan Moats - when giving a reason we didn't need to "reach" for a RB during the draft. Moats wasn't mentioned.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009   #11
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

I believe that Smith alluded to Brown rather that Moats because Brown has proven himself in the past to be able to get those "hard" yards. Moats was to be the "little Brian Westbrook" when he was taken by the Eagles. His 1st year there, 2005, in about 50 carries, he logged in 5 yds/carry (somewhat artificially bolstered by a couple of long runs) as a sub for injured Westbrook. His 2nd year with the Eagles 22 carries for only 3 yds/carry. The Eagles loved his motor, but were concerned with inconsistency. He then broke his leg and missed the entire 2007 season. Last year with the Texans 26 carries for 3.6 yds/carry. He did fairly well when inserted, but not necessarily consistent. Smithiak is not only looking for a "backup" to Slaton, they are interested in that compliment that can consistently help "make" plays calling for short straight ahead yardage, not a back that again has to rely virtually solely on the OL to always "part the Red Sea"...............something that is one of the greater innate disadvantages of Gibbs' zone blocking system.

While Brown is a huge gamble to rely on to even "be there" as a either a backup OR complimentary back to Moats, Moats isn't likely to be that complimentary back, and has not had enough opportunity to prove that he can be the consistent backup.

I like Moats, but he still has alot to prove.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009   #12
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
For me Moats is the reason why I didnt want us to panic and draft a RB this year. When he stepped in last season to help carry the load for Slaton, he looked real good.

I have no problem with Slaton, Moats + a couple of rookies going into the season.
I'd much rather keep Moats and a few rookies than Brown, Moats and another rookie. I just don't think Brown has much football left in him. Training camp will tell the tale though. If Brown is healthy through out camp though, be prepared for him being the guy they choose to spell Slaton.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009   #13
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
I've been talking about him since the draft. Guy played tough and left it on the field the little he was on the field for us.

Seems like everyone wants a big name yet won't give this kid his chance.

Do your thing Ryan - prove'em wrong.
I disagree. I thought Moats was pretty bad last year. He showed some burst but he doesn't break tackles and was a poor pass blocker. I wouldn't want him higher than 4th on the depth chart. So, I'm fine if he makes the 53 man roster but I don't want him active unless there has been an injury.
dalemurphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009   #14
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 97647 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I disagree. I thought Moats was pretty bad last year. He showed some burst but he doesn't break tackles and was a poor pass blocker. I wouldn't want him higher than 4th on the depth chart. So, I'm fine if he makes the 53 man roster but I don't want him active unless there has been an injury.
The guy isn't just miserably bad, but I don't see why everyone is sporting wood here.

Somebody has to take 10+ carries/game for Slaton, and I don't want that to be Moats with his 3.6 ypc. A guy who is going to get more touches than AJ should be more than just "not the worst ever" IMO.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009   #15
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Ryan Moats has a boatload less to prove than the IR captain Chris Brown.

The Turk has more rushing yards than Chris Brown as a Texan.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009   #16
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 51302 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Ryan Moats is this years Chris Taylor.
Old 05-03-2009   #17
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
In case some of you thought the Dallas incident somehow got him off the team.

It baffles me how Chris Brown is more known around here than Moats. Moats has actually scored for us, I don't think I've seen Brown in Texans colors yet.

Check this for proof:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiDry94SS7A

You can also see Briesel prove we don't have a need at guard.
I hate to burst your bubble, but Brisiel is on the right side of the line. Moats ran over the left side where Pitts and Brown are. It was Pitts, Brown and Leach that opened up that hole. Having said that, I still think Brisiel is better than what a lot of people on this board and in the media say. Kubes and Gibbs like him too. JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009   #18
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Ryan Moats is this years Chris Taylor.
The big difference being that the people, like me, saying that Moats did well last year are only saying that he did well as the #2 back and in that role might be just fine. When people were all over Chris Taylor, they were wanting him for the starting role. That's a BIG difference.

For 5-10 touches a game, I don't think Moats is bad. He had over a 5 ypc average until he went into the Bears game and in that game, the coaching staff chose to go with him over Slaton for two very productive drives. This gave Slaton time to wake up and get his head in the game. Against the Bear, he had some good runs and he had some bad runs but he didn't stink up the joint.

Now, like Texans Seminole brought up in the draft thread, if Slaton goes down, we're in trouble. But the coaches didn't think there was anyone in the draft worth spending a draft pick on to try to solve this problem. I don't think anyone on the roster solves that problem. But let's wait and see what other moves are made during preseason and how this stable of backs look during preseason.
Old 05-03-2009   #19
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The big difference being that the people, like me, saying that Moats did well last year are only saying that he did well as the #2 back and in that role might be just fine. When people were all over Chris Taylor, they were wanting him for the starting role. That's a BIG difference.

For 5-10 touches a game, I don't think Moats is bad. He had over a 5 ypc average until he went into the Bears game and in that game, the coaching staff chose to go with him over Slaton for two very productive drives. This gave Slaton time to wake up and get his head in the game. Against the Bear, he had some good runs and he had some bad runs but he didn't stink up the joint.

Now, like Texans Seminole brought up in the draft thread, if Slaton goes down, we're in trouble. But the coaches didn't think there was anyone in the draft worth spending a draft pick on to try to solve this problem. I don't think anyone on the roster solves that problem. But let's wait and see what other moves are made during preseason and how this stable of backs look during preseason.

I disagree. Our offense immediately lost effectiveness when he came in. He is fine as back end of the roster depth but he doesn't add anything to the offense. He has no area of specialization. Essentially, every time he walks on the field, every element of our offense gets worse because he is less effective catching the ball, he's a poor pass blocker, he's less explosive, and he's easier to tackle than Slaton.

IMO, what you want with a complimentary back is for that player to offer something different or better than the other back. For instance, clearly Chris Johnson is a better back than Lendale White but Lendale White is more effective in some short yardage situations between the tackles. He also punishes the LBs which benefits Johnson later in the game.

Or, in NO, Pierre Thomas adds something to the NO running game when he spells Reggie Bush... Pierre can actually gain yards on a handoff.
dalemurphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009   #20
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I disagree. Our offense immediately lost effectiveness when he came in. He is fine as back end of the roster depth but he doesn't add anything to the offense. He has no area of specialization. Essentially, every time he walks on the field, every element of our offense gets worse because he is less effective catching the ball, he's a poor pass blocker, he's less explosive, and he's easier to tackle than Slaton.

IMO, what you want with a complimentary back is for that player to offer something different or better than the other back. For instance, clearly Chris Johnson is a better back than Lendale White but Lendale White is more effective in some short yardage situations between the tackles. He also punishes the LBs which benefits Johnson later in the game.

Or, in NO, Pierre Thomas adds something to the NO running game when he spells Reggie Bush... Pierre can actually gain yards on a handoff.
Doesn't Bush spell Thomas? I thought he became the starter.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read