Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-24-2005   #1
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Chad Pennington Needs Major Surgery

Pretty substantial injury for Chad.
Quote:
PITTSBURGH It turns out the injury to Chad Pennington's right shoulder was more serious than the team initially realized, according to NFL sources.

It was expected all along since the Jets' season came to an end last weekend in Pittsburgh that Pennington would have offseason surgery. His injury had been diagnosed as a "strained rotator cuff.

An MRI within the last couple of days, however, showed much more damage than a mere strain. According to two sources familiar with the situation, Pennington will soon have surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff and a tear in his labrum.

Now, instead of a quick surgery to clean things up, it's unclear how long that'll keep Pennington from throwing.
http://www.nypost.com/sports/jets/38753.htm

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005   #2
redlion
Rookie

Do you think had he been healthy the outcome against the Steelers woulda been different?
redlion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005   #3
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

I had a rotator cuff injury a few years ago skiing. Guess because I wasn't in the NFL, the docs here said they recommended against surgery because of concerns for worse results like Bosselli (no this is not an invitation to re-debate Bosselli). In any event, it has made it so I cannot throw anything hard with my right arm--play catch yes, but try to put anything on it and it starts to come apart. Hopefully Pennington gets a good result.
Old 01-24-2005   #4
dan7
Veteran

Default Rotator Cuff Surgery

No wonder Chad couldn't get much on any of his throws....
Old 01-25-2005   #5
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

That is sad to here. He is very young. I wish him well on his recovery. I wonder if this will be Quincy second coming? I geuss we will have to see.
Old 01-25-2005   #6
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Now this prognosis comes from a non-sports medical clinic, but not too rosy:

Quote:
Returning to a sedentary or office job may be possible as soon as one to two weeks after surgery. If your job requires heavy use of both arms, a full six months of recovery may be necessary. Work which requires heavy manual labor involving lifting, climbing, or the use of heavy equipment is not ever recommended.

Swimming and bicycling can be resumed after three months of recovery. Racquetball, bowling, and golf should be gradually started again after four to six months of recovery. Baseball and tennis requires a minimum of six months recovery. Football, downhill skiing, and heavy weight lifting should be avoided for at least a year following surgery.

Driving is not advised for twelve weeks following surgery.
Link
Old 01-25-2005   #7
SESupergenius

Makes you wonder if the Jets were rushing him back too quickly.
Sponsored links
Old 01-25-2005   #8
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

yeah well gotta give it to the guy playing through out the post season like that ! People in NY should be happy as much as they complain about Chad.
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005   #9
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

I have a relative who seriously tore a rotator cuff five years ago and STILL doesn't have much more than 70% strength in the arm--and forget about lifting anything heavy over his head with that arm. For a QB, this could be devastating. Then again, I check myself and think about people like Garrison Hearst or (to a lesser extent but still miraculous) Robert Edwards who train hard and do manage to come back.

Pennington's a talent. I'd hate to see that career cut short by a serious injury.
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005   #10
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

sounds like surgrey either makes ya better or a whole lot worse ! Hope it works out for him. he is a good QB !
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read