Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-01-2009   #1
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker
Default Who here is ready for opening day?!?!?!

We've got a tough 1st matchup against the Jets. Since the rosters are about set in stone (very few impact signings left to make if any) I figured i'd take this opportunity to gauge everyone's thoughts about our opening day matchup against everyone's favorite media darling the New York Jets.

Yes, they're getting tons of hype because they're the Jets and because they made the bold move of trading up for a popular QB. But I dont really care about all that. To be honest, I think they gave up way too much for Sanchez (5 picks/players) and then they traded up AGAIN for a RB. Greene is a very good RB to have but its not a good idea to mortgage your draft on essentially two players (they had 3 picks in total). Especially since underclassmen rookie QBs dont have a great track record of success and RBs are a dime a dozen.

The actual reason that this is a tough game is because they've got one of the best defenses in football and a hell of a running game with Thomas Jones and the stout OL they've got in Jersey. Their secondary is as good as anyone's with Revis, Sheppard, Rhodes, and Leonhard. Its a good thing we've got plenty of weapons to throw to because that secondary is gonna force us to dig deep for favorable matchups other than the token Andre Johnson vs anyone. Their run defense is stout with Kris Jenkins anchoring the DL, I have a hard time not seeing Chris Meyers getting rag dolled against that NT.

We get to meet Rex Ryan again, the defensive genius has his hands on the talent with the Jets and brought quite a few guys over to help jumpstart his system. The 3-4 defenses had their way with us last season. Hopefully Anthony Hill shows his worth right off the bat in this matchup assisting the OTs in pass protection.

All in all I think its a very even matchup considering the upgrades we made on defense. The three biggest advantages we have are that its a home game, we're probably gonna get to play a rookie QB, and this is Rex Ryan's first game with the team so we catch them while they barely have their feet wet. We're gonna find out real quick how our offense stacks up against the league's best defenses, if we can score against a tough 3-4 defense like this then we're gonna find out for sure whether this offense is elite.
Old 05-01-2009   #2
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Who here is ready for opening day?!?!?!

It will be interesting to see the changes in our defense. I expect this to be a test of our run defense. I expect them to try to minimize Sanchez's decisions. If the changes to our defense work, then this game should be a cakewalk.

The only thing I worry about on the offensive side is turnovers. I think we'll be better in the red zone and I hope we eliminate the turnovers. If we do that, we win. If we don't do that, we might still win.

I think we win.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009   #3
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I just want to see Cushing taking down Sanchez.
That will be fun to watch!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009   #4
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

This will be a very good test but it sure beats playing Pittsburgh for Game 1!

I don't think Sanchez will be starting for the game, if so, we win big. Defense will be tough on our offense but I think we'll be able to move the ball as usual. We'll be practicing our red zone offense and Schaub not turning the ball over so hopefully we start off well in that regard.

Their offense will be tough to stop and we'll see how our Defense steps up. It's hard to have any sort of idea what's going to happen. I like our chances though with Clemons/Sanchez as QB right now than if Favre was still there.

I think we win the game but don't read too much into it... I've got us going 16-0
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009   #5
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Usually, an Eagles cast-off don't do so well.
I'm hoping Schaub will keep that tradition going against Lito!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009   #6
valleytexfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 275 valleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't wait!!! But I'm also glad there won't be any more "We want Sage!" chants at the game. Matt's the man and the offense should be fine, but I wanna see the new D.
valleytexfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009   #7
whiskeyrbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleytexfan View Post
I can't wait!!! But I'm also glad there won't be any more "We want Sage!" chants at the game. Matt's the man and the offense should be fine, but I wanna see the new D.
The only chant we will hear on opening day is " Mario, Mario,Mario"
Sponsored links
Old 05-01-2009   #8
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 233844 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
It will be interesting to see the changes in our defense. I expect this to be a test of our run defense. I expect them to try to minimize Sanchez's decisions. If the changes to our defense work, then this game should be a cakewalk.

The only thing I worry about on the offensive side is turnovers. I think we'll be better in the red zone and I hope we eliminate the turnovers. If we do that, we win. If we don't do that, we might still win.

I think we win.
Bingo!!
If we don't turn the ball over, I'm confident that we win!
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009   #9
Polo

If we cut down on the turnovers defense looks better too..
Old 05-02-2009   #10
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14478 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Iam rdy to see all the hot girls at relient in the parking lot .......
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009   #11
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

I am not going to read any further than the title and say I am pretty damn sure we all want 2 months of nothing ... so a lot of threads can be made all about nothing just to watch a bunch of over reaction.

I know that is what I am looking forward to over the next couple months.

Old 05-02-2009   #12
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 233844 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
Iam rdy to see all the hot girls at relient in the parking lot .......
You should have gone to the draft party.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009   #13
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 135090 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleytexfan View Post
Nah, but we WILL hear them during the Monday night pre-season game...you can BET on it! hehehe
Old 05-02-2009   #14
valleytexfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 275 valleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
Nah, but we WILL hear them during the Monday night pre-season game...you can BET on it! hehehe
you're probably right there my friend...
Old 05-02-2009   #15
valleytexfan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyrbl View Post
The only chant we will hear on opening day is " Mario, Mario,Mario"
Definitely!!!
Old 05-02-2009   #16
Texaninlild
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4558 Texaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Texaninlild

I see it as a day to shine. If we think we are as good as we should be this will be a 'W'. We are much further along than the Jet's and if Sanchez plays it will be ugly. It will be a good barometer to see where we start the season.

I am a Christian

Philippians 4:13
Texaninlild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009   #17
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39337 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

There is a long way to go.
Old 05-02-2009   #18
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Mario, Cushing, Okoye, Smith, Barwin vs. a rookie qb? I'll take it.

Welcome to the NFL Dirty Sanchez.......
Old 05-03-2009   #19
sakebomb
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1859 sakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respected

ESPN loves them some dirty Sanchez.

I hope we kill them. I would love to see all of the "experts" faces on ESPN later that night.
Old 05-03-2009   #20
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakebomb View Post
ESPN loves them some dirty Sanchez.

I hope we kill them. I would love to see all of the "experts" faces on ESPN later that night.
I like him as a QB. Detroit picked the wrong one.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read