Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 04-30-2009   #1
Texsker
Rookie

Rep Power: 49 Texsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Selvin Young Released by the Broncos

The Broncos have officially released Selvin Young.
Old 04-30-2009   #2
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Selvin Young Released by the Broncos

http://cbs4denver.com/sports/nfl.den....2.998524.html

Quote:
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (CBS4) ―
Click to enlarge
Running Selvin Young #35 of the Denver Broncos heads upfield on a run against the Kansas City Chiefs in the third quarter of the football game at Invesco Field at Mile High Dec. 9, 2007 in Denver, Colo.

The Broncos began thinning its stable of running backs on Thursday. After two seasons with the Broncos, Selvin Young was released by the team after he failed his physical.

Young's chances of remaining in Denver were lessened considerable when new head coach Josh McDaniels signed several running backs in free agency and used the team's number one pick in the recent draft to select Georgia running back Knowshon Moreno.

Young started the first five games in 2008, rushing for 303 yards on 61 carries. But injuries would sideline him for much of the rest of the season. The Broncos eventually placed him on injured reserve in late December due to a neck injury.

Today, his Broncos career officially came to an end.

Young grew up in the Houston area and starred for the University of Texas. There's been speculation that he could wind up with his hometown Houston Texans.

CBS4 Broncos Insider Reggie Rivers communicated with Young on Thursday after news of his release. He told Reggie that going to the Texans..."would be a dream come true. But I have to get healthy first."
He may be a nice fellow, but I have never liked him as a football player.
Old 04-30-2009   #3
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post

And I presume that an injured Selvin Young would rate even lower with you right? He's never really impressed me much either.

The thing about these guys from Denver is that we have coaches who know what they're looking at where these players are concerned. They can see what these guys did and look at the play and know what they maybe should have done. Nobody is going to hide anything there.

If any of them are worth bringing over I expect we'll bring them over but if we ignore one of them then it will be like the kiss of death for that player. Everyone around the league already suspects that if you wracked up a thousand yards in Denver you probably did it because of the system. When they see running back refugees from the old Denver regime fail to attract any attention from the one team in the NFL that would most likely be able to plug them in and keep rolling then that will speak volumes.

It's not even much of a topic if he's still recovering from an injury. I don't think we're in the market for an injured back right now. Chris Brown fills that role on our team nicely now that Ahman Green is retired.
Old 04-30-2009   #4
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The only problem I have with him is his ability to stay healthy.....I can't argue against his career 5.1 YPC average in this system. If he can stay relatively healthy he'll be a hell of a backup to Steve Slaton. Young RBs (he's only 25) who have starting experience and average 5.1 yards per carry don't just fall out of the sky everyday.

I say sign him up, if he stays healthy Steve Slaton and Selvin Young is a hellava backfield and that would solve all our RB needs.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009   #5
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
The only problem I have with him is his ability to stay healthy.....I can't argue against his career 5.1 YPC average in this system. If he can stay relatively healthy he'll be a hell of a backup to Steve Slaton. Young RBs (he's only 25) who have starting experience and average 5.1 yards per carry don't just fall out of the sky everyday.

I say sign him up, if he stays healthy Steve Slaton and Selvin Young is a hellava backfield and that would solve all our RB needs.
We already have an injured backup and Brown is more talented.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009   #6
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
We already have an injured backup and Brown is more talented.
Brown isn't more talented and it's been 4 years since the last time he was a productive RB. Selvin Young is still young and has a better chance at staying healthy than Brown does.

I say sign him to a cheap contract (he isn't going to cost that much) and bring him to camp......if he all of a sudden becomes a healthy player (there have been players who struggled with injuries early in their careers and then they all of a sudden were able to stay healthy) he'll become a boom FA signing. When Healthy he's a talented player in this system.

And that's another thing, unlike any other back we can get right now......we KNOW that he can produce in this system and he knows the system, so he could come in from day one and be the backup or start if need be.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009   #7
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 173167 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The Broncos eventually placed him on injured reserve in late December due to a neck injury.
neck injury...?
how bad? Anyone know?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-30-2009   #8
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144920 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I would sign him for the right money ... why ... he's proven . Of course I'm having visions of Ahman Green .
Old 04-30-2009   #9
JWarren14
Beer Me

Section: 516 Row B
Rep Power: 844 JWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to JWarren14

Jersey Village kid, I went to middle school with him as well...shop class @ Campbell Jr High. I am biased in saying that we should give him a shot, he has played well in the system as the numbers indicate, but being injured is a concern. What running back didn't get injured last year?
Old 04-30-2009   #10
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

It's not like we have a whole lot of depth at RB. Two UDFA, Ryan Moats, and Chris Brown behind Slaton. Chris Brown didn't play at all last season, and in the two seasons prior he played a total of 17 games (he missed games in both seasons). That's 17 games in 3 years.

Selvin Young has played in 23 games over the last 2 years. I'd bring him in, and if he can get back to 100% I don't see any reason why he can't make this team.

The only thing I am wondering about is if his neck injury is going to be around for his whole career, or even this next season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I would sign him for the right money ... why ... he's proven . Of course I'm having visions of Ahman Green .
Chris Brown is even worse than Ahman IMO. He has only played in 17 games over 3 seasons. The guy is a letdown waiting to happen.

Last edited by TexansSeminole; 04-30-2009 at 06:06 PM.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009   #11
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Last off season I would have been very happy to have Selvin Young, but after seeing him go through injuries for yet another season then it would be a waste of time. He didn't run the ball near as well as he did as a rookie and then got hurt again.

He was always hurt at Texas as well.

I don't want a guy right now that was always injured at Texas and in his first two seasons as a rookie suffered with a bunch of injury problems in his first two seasons.

I think we're fine with Jeremiah Johnson if we really wanted to go that route.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009   #12
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

Has anyone seen any good information on his current health status?
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009   #13
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Last off season I would have been very happy to have Selvin Young, but after seeing him go through injuries for yet another season then it would be a waste of time. He didn't run the ball near as well as he did as a rookie and then got hurt again.

He was always hurt at Texas as well.

I don't want a guy right now that was always injured at Texas and in his first two seasons as a rookie suffered with a bunch of injury problems in his first two seasons.

I think we're fine with Jeremiah Johnson if we really wanted to go that route.
Selvin Young played in 15 of 16 games in his rookie year and ran for 5.2 yards per carry at a little over 9 carries a game. Doesn't really look to me that injuries prohibited him from producing that year.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009   #14
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

I would sign him. We need bodies, and he's got the talent for this level.
Old 04-30-2009   #15
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm waiting for what is not very likely to happen............the release of Hillis.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009   #16
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

He failed a physical, so I can't think he'll be useful for us.

Who's the fast RB they had? Was it Hall? I don't think Hillis could give us much that Casey couldn't do anyway.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009   #17
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I'm waiting for what is not very likely to happen............the release of Hillis.
I'm hoping for Torain.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009   #18
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Quote:
CBS4 Broncos Insider Reggie Rivers communicated with Young on Thursday after news of his release. He told Reggie that going to the Texans..."would be a dream come true. But I have to get healthy first."

This was not a chronic neck problem. He sustained an acute herniated disc last December. He is now still alluding to getting healthy. Significant discussions earlier in the year were had concerning the possible need for surgery. This type of injury (acute) typically involves a prolonged recovery if the conservative route is an option. If surgery is necessary, it many times involves fusion of cervical vertebrae which usually leads to the recommendation that basket weaving would an appropriate career change.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009   #19
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1517 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

Id rather keep the youngsters in Foster & Jeremiah and see how they look in camp. Tired of RB's with too much wear and tear.
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009   #20
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frak The Jags View Post
Id rather keep the youngsters in Foster & Jeremiah and see how they look in camp. Tired of RB's with too much wear and tear.
He doesn't really have that much wear and tear, just a lil bad luck. I'd give him a shot. Hillis would be really nice.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read