Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-30-2009   #1
joedinkle
Veteran

Rep Power: 60 joedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respected
Default It's 3rd and long...

How does our front 7 look? Although I think that Cushing will have the most impact on our defense of all the rookies, I think Barwin gives us the most flexability of all our defensive rookies. The question that we don't know the answer to, is who will start as the weak-side linebacker. Diles? Adibi? June? Also, how many 3-4 looks will we show? We've got the personnel to run this occassionaly. Here's what I envision for a 4-3 and a 3-4 on obvioius passing downs.

4-3, 3rd and long

Barwin------Smith------Okoye---------Williams

------Cushing-------Ryans--------Diles/Adibi/June

3-4, 3rd and long(I think this look will generate more of a pass rush)

--------Smith--------Okoye-------Williams

Cushing-------Ryans--------Diles-------------Barwin

How do you guys see us coming out?
joedinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009   #2
whiskeyrbl

Default Re: It's 3rd and long...

Not in a 3-4.
Old 04-30-2009   #3
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I like the first way but i was thinking Smith would be next to Mario.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009   #4
joedinkle
Veteran

Rep Power: 60 joedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyrbl View Post
Not in a 3-4.
Why? Come on, it's the off season and I'm bored. Give me a little more than "no."
Old 04-30-2009   #5
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 97142 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedinkle View Post
How does our front 7 look? Although I think that Cushing will have the most impact on our defense of all the rookies, I think Barwin gives us the most flexability of all our defensive rookies. The question that we don't know the answer to, is who will start as the weak-side linebacker. Diles? Adibi? June? Also, how many 3-4 looks will we show? We've got the personnel to run this occassionaly. Here's what I envision for a 4-3 and a 3-4 on obvioius passing downs.

4-3, 3rd and long

Barwin------Smith------Okoye---------Williams

------Cushing-------Ryans--------Diles/Adibi/June

3-4, 3rd and long(I think this look will generate more of a pass rush)

--------Smith--------Okoye-------Williams

Cushing-------Ryans--------Diles-------------Barwin

How do you guys see us coming out?
If Barwin's on the field in the 3-4 set-up you have, he'll likely be the DE opposite Williams with Smith kicking inside...Okoye's the odd man out imo. Adibi will be the WLB.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009   #6
joedinkle
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
If Barwin's on the field in the 3-4 set-up you have, he'll likely be the DE opposite Williams with Smith kicking inside...Okoye's the odd man out imo. Adibi will be the WLB.
At 256 lbs, Barwin is a linebacker in a 3-4. Okoye, Smith and Williams all have the weight and pass rushing skill to be our DL in a 3-4. I like this formation because it will confuse the offense(since we play most downs in a 4-3) and it puts our 7 best pass rushers on the field.
Old 04-30-2009   #7
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I fully expect hybrid looks in situations. Use the bullets you have, you know?

43/pass downs
Barwin Smith Okoye Williams
Cushing Ryans Adibi

34hybrid
Smith Okoye Bulman
Barwin Cushing Ryans Williams
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-30-2009   #8
joedinkle
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
I fully expect hybrid looks in situations. Use the bullets you have, you know?

34hybrid
Smith Okoye Bulman
Barwin Cushing Ryans Williams
Ooooo, I like.
Old 04-30-2009   #9
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 97142 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedinkle View Post
At 256 lbs, Barwin is a linebacker in a 3-4. Okoye, Smith and Williams all have the weight and pass rushing skill to be our DL in a 3-4. I like this formation because it will confuse the offense(since we play most downs in a 4-3) and it puts our 7 best pass rushers on the field.
He's said that he's gonna put on a little more weight to gear his body to play football full time... that puts him at 260-265 lbs minimum.

He's also a hand-in-dirt pass rush guy & his self-proclaimed best attribute rushing the passer...speed, is taken away from him a little b/c he's 2-3 yards off the LOS. in addition to this, i'd venture to say that Adibi is better in coverage than he is right now b/c Adibi's been at it longer. Not to say that Barwin wouldn't be able to do it as effectively or better later in his career though.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009   #10
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 22796 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

I think Mario would definitely play OLB in the 3-4. I don't see anybody having a chance at stopping him that way.
Old 04-30-2009   #11
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think in passing situations, the DL will be something like:
Barwin--Smith--Okoye--Mario

I think one of the LBs leaves the field and we put on an extra DB.

I think SLB=Cushing, MLB=Demeco but the battle for WLB=Adibi/June. I think Diles is relegated to backup.

Question: In passing downs, if a LB leaves the field who will it be? I figured our LBs out there would be like Demeco and June. But from what Kubiak/Smith/etc are saying is that they see Cushing as an everydown LB.

Do Cushing and Demeco stay on the field no matter what? I thought June's strength was his pass defense.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read