Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-29-2009   #1
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1065 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans Defense Switching To Tampa 2?

This is a thread I've been meaning to post ever since they signed Cato June, Buster Davis, and Shaun Cody. It seems to me that Frank Bush's approach will be tailored around a 4-3 Multiple/Tampa 2 scheme. It makes all the sense in the world. June thrived in the system while in Indy. Tampa Bay had him playing the strong side which did not fit what he does well. That is why his production dropped sharply. Both Davis and Cody know the scheme well also, with Davis learning in Indy under Dungy and Cody in Detroit under Marinelli.

My theory fits what they've been talking about all offseason in creating a more aggressive, get up the field approach to defense. The Tampa 2 is perfect for this. That is why draft picks like Connor Barwin, Glover Quin, and Troy Nolan make a ton of sense to me. Barwin can get after the QB off of the edge. Quin and Nolan aren't blazers, but they're smart and above average tacklers. Amobi Okoye will thrive in this type of scheme because it will allow him to shoot the gaps. Bennett will also do better in this type of defense because it allows him to use his size to play physical against WRs which is his strength. It's just my opinion, but don't be surprised if we see the defense playing a lot of Tampa 2 next season.
Old 04-29-2009   #2
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx
Default Re: Texans Defense Switching To Tampa 2?

Its possible, however i think Bush, Kubiak, or Smith would've mentioned it before.....

While affective...the tampa 2 isnt necessarily aggressive.
Old 04-29-2009   #3
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1065 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipTraxx View Post
Its possible, however i think Bush, Kubiak, or Smith would've mentioned it before.....

While affective...the tampa 2 isnt necessarily aggressive.
That's not true. The Tampa 2 isn't aggressive as far as blitzing, but it is very aggressive as far as pressuring the QB with the front four. That's why drafting a guy like Connor Barwin makes sense, because pressuring the QB is his specialty.
Old 04-29-2009   #4
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan JBZ View Post
That's not true. The Tampa 2 isn't aggressive as far as blitzing, but it is very aggressive as far as pressuring the QB with the front four. That's why drafting a guy like Connor Barwin makes sense, because pressuring the QB is his specialty.
by agressive i meant blitzing i shoulda been clearer.....i know what you mean tho.
Old 04-29-2009   #5
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 108483 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Their personnel moves would make a lot more sense if they were moving to a Tampa 2(Indy 2 since Tampa is dumping it?). Glover Quin is a poor man corner, but an aggressive play maker in zone coverage.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009   #6
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

The Tampa 2 scheme sounds like an improvement over the Give-up-lots-of-yards-and-points scheme we've been employing the past couple seasons.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009   #7
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209676 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

We may play SOME Tampa 2. BUT, if we try to go mostly Tampa 2, we will have just wasted the main strength of our 1st round pick. And that would almost mean that we would have the equivalent of 2 GREAT free safeties covering 1/2 of the ball field. Last time I looked we don't even have one free safety we would bet the farm on. Ain't gonna happen.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-29-2009   #8
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
The Tampa 2 scheme sounds like an improvement over the Give-up-lots-of-yards-and-points scheme we've been employing the past couple seasons.
They said it was a kind of "bend but don't break" defense but I think it was more of a "bend and get ****ed".

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
We may play SOME Tampa 2. BUT, if we try to go mostly Tampa 2, we will have just wasted the main strength of our 1st round pick. And that would almost mean that we would have the equivalent of 2 GREAT free safeties covering 1/2 of the ball field. Last time I looked we don't even have one free safety we would bet the farm on. Ain't gonna happen.
That's my thinking. I think it will be a hybrid kind of 4-3 where we impliment a lot of different approches. The main being aggressiveness/athletecism/versatility/speed etc. did we hear those words enough the past few days?
As for the safety... I hope Troy Nolan develops into that kind of FS! I know it may be wishful thinking but look at our FO's success in 6th/7th rounders so far!
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009   #9
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

I dunno about full blown tampa 2 but Looks like we're looking like we could continue to move away from more man up coverage to zone in the secondary. Makes sense with the personnel we have and what we've added.

I hope the new additions on defense help us dictate the LOS rather than hold it like in Dick's read, react and give up a ton of yardage scheme.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009   #10
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 84240 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Its better than the go-ahead...... go ahead and let em' score so we can get the ball back.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009   #11
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Well put....Cush doesnt fit the mold of a Tampa 2 OLB.
Old 04-29-2009   #12
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I just want a good defense. Shoot, I'll even settle for average. Just give us something better than what we've had in the past.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009   #13
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87841 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipTraxx View Post
Well put....Cush doesnt fit the mold of a Tampa 2 OLB.
Not necessarily. He may not be a prototype Tampa 2 OLB, but his abilities do lend itself to the SAM position in a 43 Tampa 2.

I do agree that he would be better in a different scheme, but I think he would still be successful in a Tampa 2.

Adibi is pretty close to the prototype WILL in a Tampa 2. June is as well.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009   #14
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87841 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
They said it was a kind of "bend but don't break" defense but I think it was more of a "bend and get ****ed".

That's my thinking. I think it will be a hybrid kind of 4-3 where we impliment a lot of different approches. The main being aggressiveness/athletecism/versatility/speed etc. did we hear those words enough the past few days?
As for the safety... I hope Troy Nolan develops into that kind of FS! I know it may be wishful thinking but look at our FO's success in 6th/7th rounders so far!
These are integral approaches to the Tampa 2 defense.

Vinny started a thread similar to this one before the draft and I have to admit that the way we drafted on defense has sorta convinced me that we will play a significant amount of Tampa 2.
Old 04-29-2009   #15
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 97142 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, you're refering to the "zone dog" look. I can't see us running it full time b/c we're a 4-3 defense & we don't have the FS's just yet. But you're right, with Smithiak placing emphasis on versatility in the draft with Cushing & Barwin as well as the speedy lb's we already had, we could certainly flash it for a couple of series' a game.

I think Kubiak gave bush a chance to showcase this look last year during that run of games we won beginning with Cleveland when our defense "miraculously" started putting it together at the end.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009   #16
pbat488
gig 'em

Rep Power: 12913 pbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respected

The read and react defense was a bore and a pain to watch sometimes, but we never really got burned by a big play, at least from what I can remember. Now, going to an aggresive, high pressure defense, we are opening the door for teams to get more long plays on us, but that is a risk I'm willing to take in order to increase the chance of sacks/QB pressure's/INTs instead of offenses walking through us.

With that said, I am excited to see how we implement and execute running a Cover-2. I think we have the players up front to be able to do this in certain situations, but it all depends on our secondary and playing smart in the system.
pbat488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009   #17
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 97190 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Pretty nice analysis, however it works out. We are definitely getting the talent and high motor players to run some interesting schemes and blitz packages. I can see us doing a Steelers type of blitz package by coming from just about anywhere on any down and distance. Yeah, I know they're 3-4 and were 4-3, but, on paper, we have the raw talent to do that now. Maybe even do a Patriots style hybrid. I absolutely cannot wait for TC. DAMN the offseason!!!!
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009   #18
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
DAMN the offseason!!!!
Right! That's why I made this thread. It's just something interesting to think about while we all bide our team until football season is back again.
Old 04-29-2009   #19
bah007
Hall of Fame

A common misconception is that you need great safeties to play a Tampa 2. You don't.

Great safeties help any scheme but they aren't integral to the Tampa 2 because it is basically a Cover 3 shell. You need smart safeties who can diagnose routes quickly and make plays on the ball, but they don't necessarily have to be fast or playmaking ball hawks.

You need to have CB's that can tackle in the open field (Robinson and Bennett).

You need OLB's that excel in coverage (Adibi and June).

You need DT's that can shoot gaps and collapse the pocket (Okoye and Cody).

You need DE's that can consistently put pressure on the QB (Mario and Barwin?).

The key is the MLB. Ours is pretty good.
Old 04-29-2009   #20
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95075 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

If so we should of drafted Victor Harris. I dont beleive we are though. The kind of defensive back we have been looking for the last couple of years are the exact opposite of what the Tampa 2 calls for right?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read