Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

View Poll Results: Do you like thursday or keep it saturday
Thursday 2 10.53%
Saturday 17 89.47%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-29-2009   #1
Polo

Default NFL draft could get prime-time TV slot in 2010

Didn't see this posted...

Quote:
NEW YORK – The NFL draft is big.

It could be getting bigger. Much bigger.

The NFL inched its annual draft toward prime time last weekend, starting the first round at 3 p.m. Dallas time. Next April, the NFL is considering giving the first round its own day – and a prime-time television slot.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said Monday the league was discussing the possibility of staging the first round of the 2010 draft on a Thursday evening, the second and third rounds Friday evening and the final four rounds Saturday.

The event would remain the cable television domain of ESPN and the NFL Network.

"We're more confident now, with the timing of the first round, that it can fit a 3˝-hour window," Goodell said. "We think it can be very appealing from a fan's standpoint and an audience standpoint.

"We'll talk to our teams about it. We have to see what impact this would have on them. But I think it has potential."

The NFL has been pondering such a move for a few years, but there was one major obstacle – those cumbersome six-hour first rounds. Goodell and the league had to figure out a way to shrink the opening round to fit into an abbreviated prime-time window.

In 2007, teams were given 15 minutes apiece to make their first-round selections. The round lasted six hours and eight minutes. Too long.

Last year, the NFL reduced the time in the first round to 10 minutes per pick, shaving almost 2˝ hours off the round. This year, the first round lasted three hours, 23 minutes, fitting the targeted 3:30 time frame.

The NFL is ratings gold for television networks, so prime-time has been beckoning the draft all along. The opening day of the draft is fast becoming the second-biggest sports day of the calendar year after the Super Bowl.

That's logical. Not only does it attract the interest of the 32 NFL fan bases in the nation's largest cities, it attracts the fan bases of hundreds of colleges that play football. It's their players who are drafted, so fans of Florida, Ohio State and Southern Cal also have a vested interest.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...1183d684a.html
Old 04-30-2009   #2
Polo

Default Re: NFL draft could get prime-time TV slot in 2010

No comments about possible changes to the draft?
Old 04-30-2009   #3
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Good. That way everyone will know (part of) what made the Texans a juggernaut.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009   #4
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Good. That way everyone will know (part of) what made the Texans a juggernaut.
Personally, I haven't made up my mind if I like it or dislike it...

I kind of like having a whole weekend to see the draft...I like waking up on that saturday morning and knowing whats on the schedule for the day...It's like draft day has become my new Christmas...
I also tend to have a lot of stuff to do on weekdays...Rockets might be playing....

On the other hand...the draft would happen sooner and it'd help the week go by faster...

I guess it doesn't really matter though....
Old 04-30-2009   #5
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 561 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

why can't they leave good enough alone?

the draft is one of my designated home party events, and moving it to a weeknight wouldn't be the same. what they should be doing is looking at moving it around the country and get away from the asshat NYJ fans booing every other teams picks.
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009   #6
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125690 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
Personally, I haven't made up my mind if I like it or dislike it...

I kind of like having a whole weekend to see the draft...I like waking up on that saturday morning and knowing whats on the schedule for the day...It's like draft day has become my new Christmas...
I also tend to have a lot of stuff to do on weekdays...Rockets might be playing....

On the other hand...the draft would happen sooner and it'd help the week go by faster...

I guess it doesn't really matter though....
Yeah, I agree with this only I was mad this year because it wasn't until 3 in the afternoon. I had thought it was a lot earlier before. THey need to have it really early so they can do at least 3 rounds.

Like you said Polo it's like the feeling when you were young on Christmas.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009   #7
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125690 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post

the draft is one of my designated home party events, and moving it to a weeknight wouldn't be the same. what they should be doing is looking at moving it around the country and get away from the asshat NYJ fans booing every other teams picks.
Totally agree there. It shouldn't have to be in freaking NY every year. They should move it around the country.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-30-2009   #8
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

They are destroying everything I like about draft weekend. Taking one pick away from day one was a mistake. Moving day one to prime time on Thursday would be a bigger mistake.

Frankly I hate Roger Goodell. He's done nothing but make the NFL worse since the day he arrived. At least Tags knew (mostly) to not screw with all the great things Rozell got right. Goodell thinks he's got to leave his imprint on the league. He's wrong.
Old 04-30-2009   #9
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
They are destroying everything I like about draft weekend. Taking one pick away from day one was a mistake. Moving day one to prime time on Thursday would be a bigger mistake.

Frankly I hate Roger Goodell. He's done nothing but make the NFL worse since the day he arrived. At least Tags knew (mostly) to not screw with all the great things Rozell got right. Goodell thinks he's got to leave his imprint on the league. He's wrong.
LOL...

I feel ya'....

And I didn't realize what it was until you said something, but it does feel a little incomplete without that third pick on day one...
Old 04-30-2009   #10
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I feel the same way about the draft. I still don't really understand taking a round from day 1. They shortened the selection time, so why not leave rounds 1-3 on Saturday? Goofy!

I like how Goodell is making an attempt to clean up NFL players that are asshats. As a matter of fact, I'd like to see him become even more strict with his policy. IMO, he's allowed the Ass-man Jones saga to go much further than it needs to.

I'm not a fan of overseas games, but if it is making the NFL stronger as a whole I'm good with it.

I'm not really a fan of all the love the QB receives either.

I'm good with going with the 2 preseason games and 18 regular season games also.
Old 04-30-2009   #11
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I sometimes think the only reason the 3rd round pick was moved to day two was to create a "gulf" between the first two rounds and everything after that to keep salaries of 3rd rounders down. I think that once we've seen a decade or so of this format (assuming it stays as it is) somebody should look at average salaries of 2's and 3's and see if the space between them has widened.
Old 04-30-2009   #12
SF49erFaithful
Crabtree FTW

Rep Power: 41 SF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post

LOL. I actually like it in NY: Big city, media madhouse, and the Radio City Music Hall is an extremely nice venue. Remember how ghetto the one in Tennessee was?

I love it where it was, even if the NYJ fans boo every pick (including their own 3/4 of the time).
Old 04-30-2009   #13
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I sometimes think the only reason the 3rd round pick was moved to day two was to create a "gulf" between the first two rounds and everything after that to keep salaries of 3rd rounders down. I think that once we've seen a decade or so of this format (assuming it stays as it is) somebody should look at average salaries of 2's and 3's and see if the space between them has widened.
They're already looking at changing the format. That's the purpose of this thread. 1st round on one day, 2nd and 3rd on another, and then the rest on the final day.

So, they're already putting the 2nd and 3rd rounds back together.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009   #14
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't care too much about the format, but I wish NYC wouldn't continue to get to monopolize the location. I'd love to have it in Vegas, or somewhere in our region wouldn't be bad either.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009   #15
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 561 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I don't care too much about the format, but I wish NYC wouldn't continue to get to monopolize the location. I'd love to have it in Vegas, or somewhere in our region wouldn't be bad either.
the city of the #1 pick would generate some great excitment I think. all jokes aside as to which teams would perpetually be in the rotation, I believe every NFL city has a venue to host this event.
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009   #16
Giant Tiger
Hall of Fame

Location: Smiths Falls, Heart of the Rideau Canal-UNESCO World Heritage Site
Rep Power: 10634 Giant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respected
Post Re: NFL draft could get prime-time TV slot in 2010

Well, if the draft is on a Thursday in primetime, I get to see the whole thing, so I'm for it. I worked this year on Saturday. I got home just in time to see New Orleans pick Jenkins. Good thing the draft didn't start at noon. I'd like to see it move around the country, though. Maybe the Super Bowl champion should host it.
Old 05-01-2009   #17
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
They're already looking at changing the format. That's the purpose of this thread. 1st round on one day, 2nd and 3rd on another, and then the rest on the final day.

So, they're already putting the 2nd and 3rd rounds back together.
Yep....
Old 05-01-2009   #18
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I would not mind them partitioning out the draft like this.
Old 05-01-2009   #19
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
I would not mind them partitioning out the draft like this.
What is it that you like about it?

Or are you just 'meh' on the issue?
Old 05-02-2009   #20
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 81427 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Agreed. Nothing worse than a new guy coming in and making changes just to make changes, to put his stamp on it. You don't try to reinvent the wheel.

I think more people tune in because of draft parties and such. Moving it to prime time will not get these people at draft parties, who would normally not tune in otherwise, to tune in. They're not going to miss their Daincing with the Stars, or Idol or whatever, to tune into the long, slow NFL draft.

NFL fans are going to watch regardless. But you're going to lose all those people who pay attention because someone's having a draft party, who otherwise wouldn't give a flip about it.

Dumb move Badell. Dumb move. That would be like moving the Pro-Bowl to the week BEFORE the Super Bowl. Oh, that's right, Badell did that too.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read