Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-29-2009   #1
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1518 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns
Default [Battle Red Blog] Connor Barwin Interview

Pretty decent interview with Connor Barwin over on Battle Red Blog. Didnt see it posted. Enjoy!

http://www.battleredblog.com/2009/4/...-newest-texans
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009   #2
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: [Battle Red Blog] Connor Barwin Interview

Hmm, he's still in School and won't be available until June-ish. I sure hope we gave him some type of regimen to follow. I'd like to see him add about 10-15 lbs before camp.
Old 04-29-2009   #3
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

This was my favorite question and answer.

TT: One thing the Texans lacked last year was a consistent pass rush. How many pass rush moves do you have in your repertoire, and which ones do you think you have the most success with and why?

Connor: I have a number of different moves. I think my speed rush is my best move, just getting a jump off the ball and using my speed. After you’ve got a guy worried about your speed it sets up everything else; you set up your inside spin move, and you set up your speed bull rush. I think those are my three top moves, but after you set them up with your speed, you open the door for a lot of other things.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009   #4
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
This was my favorite question and answer.

TT: One thing the Texans lacked last year was a consistent pass rush. How many pass rush moves do you have in your repertoire, and which ones do you think you have the most success with and why?

Connor: I have a number of different moves. I think my speed rush is my best move, just getting a jump off the ball and using my speed. After you’ve got a guy worried about your speed it sets up everything else; you set up your inside spin move, and you set up your speed bull rush. I think those are my three top moves, but after you set them up with your speed, you open the door for a lot of other things.
Well, there's a flip side to that.

Quote:
TT: On the flip side of that coin, what style of blocker gives you the most trouble?

Connor: The blocker that maybe gives me the most trouble are the faster, more athletic tackles, the ones that can match some of their athleticism with mine.
There are many of these types of OT's in the NFL.
Old 04-29-2009   #5
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 6461 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Well, there's a flip side to that.

There are many of these types of OT's in the NFL.
Yep you are right, thats why it would be smart to put him up against the right tackle on 3rd down. Those are usually the less athletic Tackles.
Old 04-29-2009   #6
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I think this guy is really going to light it up and take attention away from Mario (if that's even possible)

I think he and Samson give our D a chance to get really, really creative. These are guys who actually possess the ability to be effective dropping in zone blitzes.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009   #7
TexanAddict
Texan 'til I Die

Rep Power: 77 TexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
I think this guy is really going to light it up and take attention away from Mario (if that's even possible)

I think he and Samson give our D a chance to get really, really creative. These are guys who actually possess the ability to be effective dropping in zone blitzes.
I'm going to agree that with Barwin at DE, I'll be less likely to cuss at my TV when I see the ex-TE dropping back into coverage than I was when said DE was Weaver.
TexanAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-29-2009   #8
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

The boy is LONG!

76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009   #9
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

This is early, but he might become my favorite Texan. I was a huge fan of his in college, now he is here. I am pumped!
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009   #10
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
This is early, but he might become my favorite Texan. I was a huge fan of his in college, now he is here. I am pumped!
I'm hoping the coaches let him drop back some in the zone blitzes.

He had a hand on a pass each from Bradford (OU) and Taylor (VTech), each was close to be a qwik pik six!
Old 04-29-2009   #11
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
I think that Cushing and Barwin are good enough athletes to be on the field at the same time as LBs . This would be especially for the Titans and Jags who want to run .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009   #12
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I think that Cushing and Barwin are good enough athletes to be on the field at the same time as LBs . This would be especially for the Titans and Jags who want to run .
I think we'll see lots of pre-snap movement to throw off offenses too. Imagine, you've seen LBers dance around the line and such but have you ever seen two guys actually switch positions? I want the opposing O saying, "WTF!?" as much as possible.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009   #13
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I agree that Barwin really has the flex hips to play LB, but it seems they want him to concentrated on being a rush DE at the moment. Especially if he's going to get to 260-265, I don't think we'll see him at LB.
Old 04-29-2009   #14
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I think we'll see lots of pre-snap movement to throw off offenses too. Imagine, you've seen LBers dance around the line and such but have you ever seen two guys actually switch positions? I want the opposing O saying, "WTF!?" as much as possible.
You haven't watch much Fulmer's football, have you?
Too bad, he's done retired from UT.
Sometimes he had that front seven running around in circles pre-snap.
First time I saw it, I say, WTH? LOL!
Old 04-29-2009   #15
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8706 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree. We have an opportunity to run a 3-4 / 4-3 hybrid defense where players can move around as much as possible.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009   #16
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114716 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMexVato View Post
I agree. We have an opportunity to run a 3-4 / 4-3 hybrid defense where players can move around as much as possible.
I think he will do a lot of hand down pass rushing, but don't be suprised to see him in there next to Mario doing some stand up blitzing. Now that would be effective!

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009   #17
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMexVato View Post
That's what I've been thinking. Rick Smith has been using "versatile" a lot to describe some of our picks. I think we're going to see something other than a standard 4-3 defense.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009   #18
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 201896 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I commented prior to last season that defensive lines would be scratching their helmets when Slaton blew past them. Now offensive lines may have same feeling when they are blocking Mario and hear a wind (Barwin) go blasting by and then hear their QB crying like a baby "Get him off me!" So next time they only put one man on Mario and then hear the QB whimper "mama mia, it's Mario".
Old 04-30-2009   #19
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's a sort of a 'different' video of Connor that I was watching yesterday. I didn't think this deserved it's own thread, but you kinda get to see the personal side of him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KjU4gVQupI

(^Can anyone post the embedded link? it won't work for me.)
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009   #20
TexanAddict
Texan 'til I Die

Rep Power: 77 TexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Barwin kinda looks like David Schwimmer:

TexanAddict is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read