Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-29-2009   #1
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1065 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans Feeling The Love!

This in from Clark Judge over at cbssports.com:

"It's almost impossible to ace the NFL Draft, but each year someone comes close -- and this year that someone was the Houston Texans. Nearly everywhere they looked they found value with their choices, with pass rusher Connor Barwin in the second round and multi-purpose tight James Casey in the fifth two examples."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/11688946

Ohhhh Yeahhhhhh! Man, I am so pumped for the season to start. I must admit that I was a little pissed about them not drafting a RB, but Rick Smith did something to "make me feel good." He went and picked up Foster and Johnson. Good job Smith. Sorry I ever doubted ya!
Old 04-29-2009   #2
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Feeling The Love!

We're good. Yup. Rick Smith = Good. I've seen several reports suggesting that we had, if not THE best draft, at least, ONE OF the best.

Look, this stuff is all speculative, but it says something about the fact that this franchise absolutely turned the corner last year and we've arrived where analysts have to take notice despite themselves that we're making the right moves, the right decisions and building the right way.... here we come...
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009   #3
valleytexfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 275 valleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respected

awesome feel good thread! I agree with the posts above...the picks made sense, plain and simple. These guys know what they're doing.
valleytexfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009   #4
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1284 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

An interesting insight into the RB situation embedded in Rick Smith's quotes that I had not noticed before. In his discussion on the Caldwell selection, he said: "We were looking at a couple of running backs we liked in this round, but those guys came off the board. So at that point we look for value." The two RBs chosen in the third round before our pick were Shonn Greene (taken 65 by the Jets in a trade-up) and Glen Coffee (taken at 74 by the Niners).

I doubt Smith was referring to any of the other four RBs taken before that point. Moreno, Wells and Brown were destined to be gone long before the third round. Shady McCoy went in round two after our pick, but I don't think he was on our list because his best asset--shiftiness--would be useless in a one-cut-and-go system. So Greene and Coffee were evidently our guys.

But what a fun read that was.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009   #5
Texsker
Rookie

Rep Power: 49 Texsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooston Texan View Post
An interesting insight into the RB situation embedded in Rick Smith's quotes that I had not noticed before. In his discussion on the Caldwell selection, he said: "We were looking at a couple of running backs we liked in this round, but those guys came off the board. So at that point we look for value." The two RBs chosen in the third round before our pick were Shonn Greene (taken 65 by the Jets in a trade-up) and Glen Coffee (taken at 74 by the Niners).

I doubt Smith was referring to any of the other four RBs taken before that point. Moreno, Wells and Brown were destined to be gone long before the third round. Shady McCoy went in round two after our pick, but I don't think he was on our list because his best asset--shiftiness--would be useless in a one-cut-and-go system. So Greene and Coffee were evidently our guys.

But what a fun read that was.
Greene is a hell of a back. I was really hoping that he would fall to the Texans in the 3rd, but the Jets killed that dream pretty quickly.
Old 04-29-2009   #6
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 179775 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll wait and see what Richard Justice says .
Old 04-29-2009   #7
jjohns1
Rookie

Rep Power: 152 jjohns1 is a quality contributor and well respectedjjohns1 is a quality contributor and well respectedjjohns1 is a quality contributor and well respectedjjohns1 is a quality contributor and well respectedjjohns1 is a quality contributor and well respectedjjohns1 is a quality contributor and well respectedjjohns1 is a quality contributor and well respectedjjohns1 is a quality contributor and well respectedjjohns1 is a quality contributor and well respectedjjohns1 is a quality contributor and well respectedjjohns1 is a quality contributor and well respected

good to see national outlets giving us respect for what our FO has done
jjohns1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-29-2009   #8
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I think you forgot the sarcasm smilie Earl! At least I hope so!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009   #9
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Always glad to see anything positive about the Texans, and I did say I was alright with this draft (and that I wouldn't know anyway), but I'm still going to keep some healthy skepticism about it all. For instance, it wouldn't take much going wrong to simply keep these guys from having an immediate impact. Ryans, Daniels, and Robinson are the only guys I can think of off the top of my head who had a serious impact in their rookie seasons for this team. 2 of them have yet to better their rookie seasons....and, coincidentally or not, relevant or not, all 3 have made varying noise about wanting more money.

Regardless, we'll be doing good if just ONE of these guys makes an immediate difference. The first 2 would be awesome. A little bad luck and only one is still around in a few years. Just a little.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009   #10
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I forgot about a couple of RBs, but they usually are immediate or bust.

Old 04-29-2009   #11
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1518 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

I think after the media flamed us immediately after (and during) the 2006 NFL Draft, they learned their lesson. Now theyre willing to give us the benefit of the doubt that Smithiak knows what theyre doing.
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009   #12
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll admit I was very meh about this draft. I was also very furious that a RB was not taken especially when Rashad Jennings, who I believe is the perfect back for our system and what we are looking for as a back up, was there still in the 7th.

However, after looking at the most common thread about all the players drafted being that they are multi-faceted (Cushing can play all 3 LB spots, Barwin DE/TE athletic, The C being able to swing at both guard spots, Casey being able to play RB, FB, TE, LS, WR, and all the DBs being able to contribute to special teams) I began to see that this team is trying to put talented athletes on the field and is doing what they can to be more inventive with what they do on offense and defense. I like that as opposed to years passed with the vanilla stuff.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009   #13
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Truth is I really want this team to get some high round DBs. I particularly want a highly touted, ball-hawking FS. This is something that's been bugging me for at least 3 years now. I was happier when I thought they were going to stick....uh, heck, the tall CB we just got....back there, but looks they ain't gonna do it. I really can't pick any one draft and get too upset about it, though. It's a, "Hey, guys, do it sometime this decade!" kind of thing.

Old 04-29-2009   #14
sakebomb
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1859 sakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respected

Even Trey Wingo had to give us some props. It wasn't much and you could tell he didn't want to but he did. If memory serves correct I believe they had the Texans at a B+ and the rest of the division at a C+. Nice start. It is good to see us starting to get positive marks nationally. Now it's time for the coaches and players to take it to the next level with a double digit win total.
Old 04-29-2009   #15
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
I think you forgot the sarcasm smilie Earl! At least I hope so!
Probably looking to go with the exact opposite of what she writes.
Old 04-29-2009   #16
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89849 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakebomb View Post
Even Trey Wingo had to give us some props. It wasn't much and you could tell he didn't want to but he did. If memory serves correct I believe they had the Texans at a B+ and the rest of the division at a C+. Nice start. It is good to see us starting to get positive marks nationally. Now it's time for the coaches and players to take it to the next level with a double digit win total.
Well he is a part of the ESPN conspiracy against the Texans so . . .

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009   #17
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 25091 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Always glad to see anything positive about the Texans, and I did say I was alright with this draft (and that I wouldn't know anyway), but I'm still going to keep some healthy skepticism about it all. For instance, it wouldn't take much going wrong to simply keep these guys from having an immediate impact. Ryans, Daniels, and Robinson are the only guys I can think of off the top of my head who had a serious impact in their rookie seasons for this team. 2 of them have yet to better their rookie seasons....and, coincidentally or not, relevant or not, all 3 have made varying noise about wanting more money.

Regardless, we'll be doing good if just ONE of these guys makes an immediate difference. The first 2 would be awesome. A little bad luck and only one is still around in a few years. Just a little.
How bout Slaton last year?
Old 04-29-2009   #18
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I am as optimistic as each of you BUT I see nothing that says our Dline however it will eventually look will be any better at stopping the run. Smith will be better than Weaver but nothing to make me go Wow! We now have two undrafted free agents, a maybe recovered Chris Brown(that we do not know anything about) and Ryan Moats. We do know that Moats can handle himself facing a stupid cop with a gun but can he score in the red zone or get you sumpin sumpin when it is 3rd and short?

J Johnson can be a Slaton and get us down the field and maybe just maybe Foster or Brown can be the power. Now if just had a free safety...
Old 04-29-2009   #19
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 26409 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaayteetx View Post
How bout Slaton last year?
AJ and D. Davis, too...
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009   #20
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1518 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
AJ and D. Davis, too...
Owen Daniels didnt slack off much either. And he had Carr throwing him the ball.
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read