Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-28-2009   #1
Texsker
Rookie

Rep Power: 50 Texsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Sirius NFL Radio Interview w/Rick Smith

Rick Smith Interview Transcript

Rick Smith was interviewed today on ‘Movin’ the Chains’ on Sirius NFL Radio by Ross Tucker and Pat Kirwan. I tried to transcribe it as best I could.

MTC: Brian Cushing – I would guess he’s going to SAM, which seems to be his natural position?

RS: You’re exactly right, that’s his natural position. We feel he can be an immediate contributor. We love his versatility, and feel that he can play all three positions. We’ve heard people say that he’s not valuable in the passing game, but on film he showed great instincts in underneath zone coverage. He’s athletic enough to be a nickel. We love his athleticism.

MTC: I feel that he has Romanowski-type skills.

RS: Yes, his temperament and size are similar. He’s very intense that way, has long levers.

MTC: You used Romanowski (in Denver) as a great force player, turned him inside. I could see Cushing in some form of tilt, rushing the passer.

RS: Yes, he could be in that force position and is athletic enough to stack off the line. He has versatility that way.

MTC: A guy I loved coming out—Connor Barwin. Talk about an athlete! Where do you see him fitting in schematically?

RS: He’s going to come in and go behind Mario at the RDE position. I’m excited. He’s extremely athletic, explosive, long, has great pass rush ability. He played basketball at Cincinnati. You have to be a great athlete to do that, but he’s not just a height/weight/speed guy—he’s a football player. He was highly productive in one year at DE and has shown some great instincts. Schematically, it’s going to allow us, on third down, to put a package on the field where Antonio Smith kicks down inside, with Okoye, and Connor and Mario chasing the QB from the outside.

MTC: I could see Connor dropping into coverage and have Cushing come off the edge too.

RS: Yes, we have some flexibility that way.

MTC: Caldwell—I love a guy coached by Nick Saban. You know he’s been coached hard and can handle criticism, and he has a ton of starts at Alabama.

RS: We like those attributes as well, and those things are important to us. He’s a smart guy, versatile, a captain, graduated in 3 ½ years. We were fortunate last year that our starting OL group was relatively healthy the entire year, which is usually not a reality. It’s great to have a versatile guy who can back up a couple of interior OL positions. We feel like he can come in and be a versatile guy that way for us. We believe he can be a productive starter in this League at some point in his career.

MTC: There’s a lot of speculation that you wanted to get a RB in the draft to pair with Steve Slaton. It didn’t happen. You signed Arian Foster as an undrafted free agent from Tennessee. Where do things stand right now at the RB slot? Are you in the market for a free agent?

RS: We’ll be looking. Arian had a productive career. He’s a bigger back, 6-0, 225 lbs. We also signed Jeremiah Johnson, 5-9, 210 lbs. Good feet shifty runner, good hands out of the backfield. We feel great about adding both of those guys. We let our process run itself. There was a need at running back, but we had guys rated with higher value in those rounds, so we went in that direction. Chris Brown is also here. He was injured last year, but he can be a contributor as well.

MTC: Do you ever get tired of taking TEs [LOL]? Anthony Hill is a big inline blocker. Casey played five different positions.

RS: Anthony can be effective at blocking 3-4 OLBs, anchoring that edge. You need a TE who can block and control those edges if you want to be successful in the running game. He’s a big man who can do that. You can do so much with James in the offense. Gary and the offensive staff have been working hard to figure out ways to get him onto the field.

MTC: You took three DBs. Were any of those a reaction to Dunta Robinson’s contract situation?

RS: No, I’m an ex-DB coach. I think that it’s an important position. You can never have too many guys who are tough, fast, who can run, cover and hit. Some projected Quin as a safety, but we see him as an edge guy who can play the nickel back. Brice McCain is a little undersized, but very fast and tough, and he can tackle and run. The final pick (Nolan) – we like the way he operates. He has good ball skills, good size, and will tackle. We feel they can come in and compete.

MTC: The Draft is over. Tell the listeners about your schedule for the next few weeks.

RS: We’re cleaning up the whole draft process. The scouts are about to take off again. Now we’re taking a look at the roster and looking toward training camp, looking to see if we have enough numbers at each position, looking at other teams and what they’re doing, looking at our process, how we improved from a year ago, and how we can keep growing as a group. It’s a constant grind. You’re always trying to make sure that you’re evaluating yourself and trying to get better.

MTC: What is the situation with DeMeco Ryans and Owen Daniels? Where do they stand? I guess a byproduct of drafting well is that, in a few years, those guys are going to want more money.

RS: It’s a part of the philosophy of building through the draft. Success leads to having to lock players up long term. DeMeco is back working with his teammates. We’re happy that he decided to come back in. DeMeco has another year left on his contract. Both Ryans and Daniels are here working hard, and we expect them to continue to do that.
Old 04-28-2009   #2
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sirius NFL Radio Interview w/Rick Smith

Moving the Chains is by far the best Sports radio show I have ever heard. I'm pissed that I didn't have it on today. Thank you for the transcription!
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009   #3
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow, thanks Texsker. I sent you some Rep points.

That was a great read. Very informative; a look at the draft from the GM's perspective. And, a glimpse at the plans they have for the guys they drafted.

That was some A+ stuff. Thank you for the contribution.
Old 04-28-2009   #4
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Great stuff. Thank you! rep!
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009   #5
Texsker
Rookie

Rep Power: 50 Texsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Moving the Chains is by far the best Sports radio show I have ever heard. I'm pissed that I didn't have it on today. Thank you for the transcription!
Movin' the Chains, to me, is the greatest sports show on any medium, including television. It's just an incredible show for any football fan. I've learned more from that show about football than I have from any other source. Just an awesome show.
Old 04-28-2009   #6
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Good read and why must Sirius always interview the Texans while I'm at work?

Some things that stood out to me:

Schematically, it’s going to allow us, on third down, to put a package on the field where Antonio Smith kicks down inside, with Okoye, and Connor and Mario chasing the QB from the outside.

I could see Mario moving over to where Smith is and bringing Barwin and Cushing on the same side. This makes me feel better about this draft.

You can do so much with James in the offense. Gary and the offensive staff have been working hard to figure out ways to get him onto the field.

I am very interested to see how we do here. I recall Putzier was pretty successful in Denver because of the schemes they created for him in Denver. I am only imagining what they could do for Casey.

Either way I'm noticing that there are changes going on with this team. On defense, versatile players with a mean attitude. On offense, skilled players and lots of depth.

I think it is safe to say that Richard Smith being fired was only the beginning of getting rid of the vanilla. Looks like we are adding all kinds of flavors now.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009   #7
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks for the transcript!

Just curious. How did you do it?
You have voice recognition software?
I certainly hope you didn't have to record it, play back, and type all that down!
76Texan is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-28-2009   #8
Texsker
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Thanks for the transcript!

Just curious. How did you do it?
You have voice recognition software?
I certainly hope you didn't have to record it, play back, and type all that down!
I type over 100 WPM. I typed it as it aired live, and then cleaned it up afterwards.
Old 04-28-2009   #9
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
I think it is safe to say that Richard Smith being fired was only the beginning of getting rid of the vanilla. Looks like we are adding all kinds of flavors now.
I agree totally and perhaps we are starting to develop an identity on this team. We made a huge jump in our offensive prowess last season and we look to have improved through the draft with our 2 TEs and Caldwell, who is probably my favorite draft pick of ours in the entire draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texsker View Post
I type over 100 WPM. I typed it as it aired live, and then cleaned it up afterwards.
I would double rep you if I could.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009   #10
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
76Texan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009   #11
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

MTC is really good with PK and T-Rock. That's me Eric in houston that call the shows.
Old 04-28-2009   #12
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
MTC is really good with PK and T-Rock. That's me Eric in houston that call the shows.
Oh, hey... Aren't you a Michael Vick guy and an Atlanta Falcon fan? and only a mild Texan fan?
Old 04-28-2009   #13
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37218 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree.. Moving the chains is great show. No nonsense intelligent football talk.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009   #14
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
Even though it's better than 90% of what is out there, I can't tolerate the show with Adam Schein and Solomon Wilcox... they are very stubborn and Solomon is probably the most obnoxiously arrogant person I've ever heard on radio. The man loves his own voice!
Old 04-28-2009   #15
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

They keep talking about how Hill is going to be used to block the OLB in a 3-4. We don't have any 3-4 teams in our division, so we'll only be playing a few per season max. I can't imagine that they would spend a fourth round draft pick on someone to use a few times a season.

Is this a jab at Brown's struggles against 3-4 OLBs? And, I know the possibility of Hill beefing up and moving to T has been mentioned, do you think these comments suggest that if Brown continues to struggle against 3-4 OLB, Hill could be there to take his place?
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009   #16
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
They keep talking about how Hill is going to be used to block the OLB in a 3-4. We don't have any 3-4 teams in our division, so we'll only be playing a few per season max. I can't imagine that they would spend a fourth round draft pick on someone to use a few times a season.

Is this a jab at Brown's struggles against 3-4 OLBs? And, I know the possibility of Hill beefing up and moving to T has been mentioned, do you think these comments suggest that if Brown continues to struggle against 3-4 OLB, Hill could be there to take his place?

I've heard Kubiak talk about the SAM in a 3-4. I believe that is reference to the ILB that is lined up on the strong side of the formation and not the OLB that is lined up on the edge... I'm not sure though.

Regardless, they think Hill will be able to win battles against defensive players that weigh between 240 and 260 lbs. So, on run plays against Indy, I'm sure we'll see Hill firing off on Mathis and/or Freeney quite a bit, who are essentially the same type players doing similar things.

I think the point being made was that the team struggled running the ball near the goalline against 3-4 alignments because of limitations with our TEs. I don't think it says anything about DBrown.
Old 04-29-2009   #17
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24551 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks so much for transcribing this. Any interview with R. Smith is helpful. Thanks. So far they have been very consistent from a F.O. / Coaching standpoint about what they project these players to do. I think there was one quote which mentioned Hill doing one thing in the coaches mind and another for Smith. Inevitably, the coaches have the final say of course but it just goes to show that the F.O. and the coaches are clearly aligned. We're good.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009   #18
Texsker
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post

He has emphasized this in every interview he's done, but obviously, a dominant blocking TE is very useful against a 4-3 as well. Pat Kirwan was talking today on MTC about the fact that if you don't have a TE who's a legitimate force as a blocker, you really don't have a strong side to your formation. You need a TE who can double team a DE in a 4-3 with your OT and seal the edge in the run game.

If Hill can represent a legitimate receiving threat in addition to being a great in-line blocker, it will really enhance his value.
Old 04-29-2009   #19
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If Hill can represent a legitimate receiving threat in addition to being a great in-line blocker, it will really enhance his value.
Hill is a very capable receiver. He just isn't the same kind of receiver as Daniels, Dreesen, or Casey. He isn't as fast and it would be strange to see him split wide. For example, Daniels and Casey could be split wide or put in motion as they have been used in this way in the pros and college respectively. On the other hand, Hill has been used as a receiver lined up as a more traditional inline TE, where he will initially engage a defender at the line then release and run a short to intermediate route. In conclusion, don't be surprised to see Hill used in goalline and short yardage formations as both a blocker and a receiver.
Old 04-29-2009   #20
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks for the work, rep inc!

Good read also

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read