Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-27-2009   #1
Gymrat2005
Rookie

Rep Power: 27 Gymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Connar Barwin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u79CJdrxZbo

watch this and skip to 1:24-1:30

this is why we drafted this kid,we need this opposite of mario on 3rd downs while smith shifts inside.

best draft since 06
Gymrat2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009   #2
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72205 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Talking Re: Connar Barwin

We didn't get a 250 lb RB so I give it a F...
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009   #3
superdave532
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 superdave532 was voted MVPsuperdave532 was voted MVPsuperdave532 was voted MVP
Default Re: Connar Barwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
We didn't get a 250 lb RB so I give it a F...
Why did you want another speed back?

I don't know how I feel about the draft as a whole, but I'm excited about the Barwin pick - this guy could be real exciting.
superdave532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009   #4
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave532 View Post
Why did you want another speed back?

I don't know how I feel about the draft as a whole, but I'm excited about the Barwin pick - this guy could be real exciting.
He was being sarcastic Superdave. He doesn't think that Slaton needs a back up.

Yeah, I liked the Barwin pick a lot myself. At first I thought WTF!? But then I watched his game film and learned more about him, and he's actually my favorite pick in this entire draft for the Texans.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009   #5
InterestedJeff
Rookie

Rep Power: 7 InterestedJeff is on the Pro-Bowl ballotInterestedJeff is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

that's a pretty solid highlight montage. I really like the push he gets on the Rutgers RT at the begining of the video. I think he'll do a solid job for us. I just have a small issue with drafting a situational player with our 2nd round pick when there are so many holes that are needed to be filled.
InterestedJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009   #6
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14190 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll be the first to admit that I saw this dude and immediately thought Jason Babin but that is what I saw of him. It wasn't until later that I saw this dude's burst off the ball. I think he is going to bring a good amount of speed to our DL and will excel on our team. The athleticism is pretty darn good too. May I eat crowe his entire career.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009   #7
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

He's got good awareness that after he blows by whoever is in front of him he's able to react to a run or deflect a pass. Speedy guy....hehe...you can't run away from Mario AND Barwin, much less if Okoye, ASmith, Adibi, Ryans or cushing is coming too!!!!!!!!!!
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-27-2009   #8
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Connor Barwin

Fix the name, please

Last edited by alphajoker; 04-27-2009 at 11:26 AM.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009   #9
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 195074 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
He's got good awareness that after he blows by whoever is in front of him he's able to react to a run or deflect a pass. Speedy guy....hehe...you can't run away from Mario AND Barwin, much less if Okoye, ASmith, Adibi, Ryans or cushing is coming too!!!!!!!!!!

As long as the secondary can handle the situation if the QB manages to get the ball off.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009   #10
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 85909 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post

Yeah, I liked the Barwin pick a lot myself. At first I thought WTF!? But then I watched his game film and learned more about him, and he's actually my favorite pick in this entire draft for the Texans.
Wow he said that Slaton needed a backup, but that it didn't have to be a big bruiser like everybody was enamored with. That was pretty much the entire point of that conversation last night. As I recall he said that grabbing Johnson & Foster as UDFA's was as good as drafting a backup.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009   #11
Texaninlild
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4558 Texaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Texaninlild

We just got a hell of a lot more athletic from this draft. This kid has speed and power. He won those battles based on instinct and athleticism. Wait till this kid really learns technique and the game. I see a very disruptive force.

I am a Christian

Philippians 4:13
Texaninlild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009   #12
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd like to see 5 DL front sometimes with Mario, Amobi, Smith, Barwin and Bulman. Let's get out there and say "Hey, we're going to rush these 5 right here... try and stop it."
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009   #13
valleytexfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 275 valleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak: "KID's got a motor."
valleytexfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009   #14
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I'd like to see 5 DL front sometimes with Mario, Amobi, Smith, Barwin and Bulman. Let's get out there and say "Hey, we're going to rush these 5 right here... try and stop it."
How about throwing Cushing in that as well for an exotic blitz.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009   #15
valleytexfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 275 valleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How about throwing Cushing in that as well for an exotic blitz.
now THAT's sexy....
valleytexfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009   #16
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

One thing thats great about Barwin is he's got good, active hands. As a former basketball player, he puts his hands up when he knows he can't get to the QB. In that highlight real I think i saw 3 excellent tipped passes that could have been INTs at the NFL level and resulted in missed opportutinies during his game. Thats the kind of thing our DL really struggles with and I think is an excellent example of getting added value
Old 04-27-2009   #17
Spike
Veteran

Rep Power: 20 Spike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterestedJeff View Post
that's a pretty solid highlight montage. I really like the push he gets on the Rutgers RT at the begining of the video. I think he'll do a solid job for us. I just have a small issue with drafting a situational player with our 2nd round pick when there are so many holes that are needed to be filled.
I had the same initial reaction, but while he is not slated to be a starter, I do think think that this is a player that can be on the field for approximately 30%of the snaps during a game - which I think would make him more than just a situational player. I think the value the franchise placed on him has to do with the type of defense that the team is going to run this year. This is evident with the Cushing pick as well.

I think we are going to see a lot of rotation with the front 7 players. We are going to be six deep at LB and I think we should have a solid rotation of 3 DEs and 3 DTs, with our free agent DE being placed at DT for a good amount of snaps - which will create a lot of opportunities for Barwin to play.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009   #18
Seņor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Seņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
I had the same initial reaction, but while he is not slated to be a starter, I do think think that this is a player that can be on the field for approximately 30%of the snaps during a game - which I think would make him more than just a situational player. I think the value the franchise placed on him has to do with the type of defense that the team is going to run this year. This is evident with the Cushing pick as well.

I think we are going to see a lot of rotation with the front 7 players. We are going to be six deep at LB and I think we should have a solid rotation of 3 DEs and 3 DTs, with our free agent DE being placed at DT for a good amount of snaps - which will create a lot of opportunities for Barwin to play.

Not to mention the fact that the other teams will be passing alot because they will be playing from behind the whole game.
Seņor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009   #19
superdave532
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 superdave532 was voted MVPsuperdave532 was voted MVPsuperdave532 was voted MVP

Quote:

I was being sarcastic too - when would a 250 pound back ever be considered a speed back?

If Amobi takes a step forward this year, Smith can provide SOME pass rush, and Mario is Mario, then I think Barwin could have an impact pretty quickly here. He'll depend on those other guys though in my opinion.
superdave532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009   #20
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41207 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I like that idea. Barwin gives the Texans a player who can drop back in coverage on a scheme like that. You have Mario, Amobi, Smith & Bulman at the line... and you have Barwin at linebacker, or you can even show some 3-4 looks with Barwin being both a 4-3 DE and 3-4 linebacker on some plays. The more I think about it, the more I like the Barwin pick.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read