Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-27-2009   #1
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Learning about the Texans new players

I think instant draft grades are garbage.

Most of all I'm interested in learning and understanding a draft.

So, I've collected a ton of interesting info about the 2009 Draft Class in two blog posts:

Brian Cushing and Connor Barwin

A little on those guys and a draft wrap up including hot topics

I tried to summarize as much information as I could from the draft in two blog posts. To create a time capsule and an informational reading library for the draft in one area. It probably has a lot of stuff you already know, but maybe some stuff you hadn't thought about.

If you have cool links about the Texans draft class or have comments you think that go with the discussion, I ask you to put them in the second blog post.

I guess I'm one of those people that really finds it fascinating to look at old MB threads and old blog posts. And I love those threads where I read stuff and learn things I didn't already know.

Like for example, the Chronicle has said recently that Slaton wasn't familiar with the ZBS when he was at WV. That's not true, and I know that because of information I received from someone who talked about that.

Besides, what else are you going to do in the offseason. Dance like a banana?
Old 04-27-2009   #2
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Learning about the Texans new players

Thanks TC ... the beer I offered you yesterday was payment for this post .

Round Dan

Last edited by Honoring Earl 34; 04-27-2009 at 01:23 AM.
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009   #3
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Thanks TC ... the beer I offered you yesterday was payment for this post .
I like being paid in beer.
Old 04-27-2009   #4
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
I like being paid in beer.
I should be going to bed but right now I'm cramming Texans info and I don't have a test ... strange .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009   #5
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Well you would TC. If you don't understand something, you dismiss it out of hand. Want to impress the hell out of me....Tell me where is summit Mississippi. That would be right up your Alley.

It's a wise police to stay away from things you do not understand. But it is a fool who criticize things they have no feel for.
Old 04-27-2009   #6
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Like for example, the Chronicle has said recently that Slaton wasn't familiar with the ZBS when he was at WV. That's not true, and I know that because of information I received from someone who talked about that.
This is not the point of the thread but I laughed a little at this. WVU ran a zone blocking scheme when Slaton was there, pretty sure they still do. For the majority of the time that Slaton was there Rick Trickett was the o-line coach and he is known for the ZBS.

Interesting that the Chronicle would not have known that.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009   #7
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
This is not the point of the thread but I laughed a little at this. WVU ran a zone blocking scheme when Slaton was there, pretty sure they still do. For the majority of the time that Slaton was there Rick Trickett was the o-line coach and he is known for the ZBS.

Interesting that the Chronicle would not have known that.
The Chron was probably trying to differentiate between our ZBS and the spread offense they ran in West Virginia. While the oline used zone blocking techniques, so much space was created by the spread formation that it was very different that what we ask Slaton to do for us.

Still, you're right that the Chron is lazy and sloppy and really doesn't concern itself with simply factchecking.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-27-2009   #8
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
The Chron was probably trying to differentiate between our ZBS and the spread offense they ran in West Virginia. While the oline used zone blocking techniques, so much space was created by the spread formation that it was very different that what we ask Slaton to do for us.

Still, you're right that the Chron is lazy and sloppy and really doesn't concern itself with simply factchecking.
Hmm, I dunno, you judge from context:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/6372113.html

Quote:
The Texans drafted Slaton even though he hadn’t played in their zone blocking system, in which the back gets the ball, makes one cut and takes off.

“You don’t see many colleges running the zone scheme, so you have to project,” Kubiak said. “We were fortunate that Steve became an every-down back and was able to stay on the field, but there were a few things that really stood out to us.

“First, he was so productive in college. Second, he was real bright. We figured he’d be able to pick up the system pretty fast. He also had good hands, and we were looking at him as a third-down back starting off.”
Steve Slaton's best year at WVU was when he was behind a ZBS line coached by Rick Trickett. Trickett copied the exact ZBS from Gibbs.

In any event, if any of you have any good links about the players, I'd really appreciate you dumping them in my second blog post. It's nice to gather them for the *library.* People have been putting links in various places over here, but it's nice to have them gathered in one place.
Old 04-28-2009   #9
~crash~
noob

I am a broncos (well kind of sort of I don't like the new head coach at all )fan but I have followe the texans since gary came here ....

I think the teaxans had a great draft glad they did I plan on watch all the texan Games this year . I really am not to worried about watching the broncos any more I just don't like the coach at all .
~crash~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009   #10
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

It's not often reported, but perhaps the leading reason Slaton left school early was because of teammate and freshman whiz Noel Devine, who took playing time from Slaton in 2007 and I'm told was on his way to being WVUs starter at RB in 2008.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009   #11
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 188528 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
It's not often reported, but perhaps the leading reason Slaton left school early was because of teammate and freshman whiz Noel Devine, who took playing time from Slaton in 2007 and I'm told was on his way to being WVUs starter at RB in 2008.
Thank you Mr. Divine from the bottom of my heart.
Old 04-28-2009   #12
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Or, it's because his coach bailed and went to Michigan. Which would be my guess.
Old 04-28-2009   #13
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Or, it's because his coach bailed and went to Michigan. Which would be my guess.
His offensive line coach also left.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009   #14
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I should be going to bed but right now I'm cramming Texans info and I don't have a test ... strange .
I know the feeling, my wife is appalled at the amount of inane information I can spout off about our UDFAs but can't remember to wish my nephews happy birthday.......

Go Texans
Old 04-28-2009   #15
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 288222 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
I know the feeling, my wife is appalled at the amount of inane information I can spout off about our UDFAs but can't remember to wish my nephews happy birthday.......

Go Texans
Maybe if your nephews were starting WRs for Florida...
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009   #16
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Thank you Mr. Divine from the bottom of my heart.
That kid was just as good as slaton. I remember watching him.
Old 04-28-2009   #17
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 47538 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I agree, I would say it's because his coach left.

I have wondered about Noel Devine, though. I think he would be successful in the Texans system, and would be a good compliment to Slaton in next years draft.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009   #18
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
I agree, I would say it's because his coach left.

I have wondered about Noel Devine, though. I think he would be successful in the Texans system, and would be a good compliment to Slaton in next years draft.
Good luck getting him on the Texans. He has a checkered past, to say the least.

Devine had two children with two different women before he had even graduated high school (not that there is anything wrong with that, but it is going to be brought up whenever he declares for the draft).

In 2004, his best friend was shot and killed when they went to some punk's house looking for a fight (the guy had been harassing one of their female friends).

He was nearly adopted by Deion Sanders but when staying at Deion's house in Texas he stole Deion's wife's Escalade and drove it to the airport so he could go back home to Florida (Deion didn't press charges and continued to try to mentor Devine and help him turn his life around).

His grades were so poor out of high school that he nearly had to go to prep school for a year but he just barely managed to qualify for West Virginia.

In February of last year, he and some WVU teammates were arrested for beating and stomping on two students outside a club. They all pleaded no contest.

The kid is a hell of a football player, but I wouldn't expect to see him anywhere around here.

Last edited by bah007; 04-28-2009 at 08:18 PM.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009   #19
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 47538 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Good luck getting him on the Texans. He has a checkered past, to say the least.

Devine had two children with two different women before he had even graduated high school (not that there is anything wrong with that, but it is going to be brought up whenever he declares for the draft).

In 2004, his best friend was shot and killed when they went to some punk's house looking for a fight (the guy had been harassing one of their female friends).

He was nearly adopted by Deion Sanders but when staying at Deion's house in Texas he stole Deion's wife's Escalade and drove it to the airport so he could go back home to Florida (Deion didn't press charges and continued to try to mentor Devine and help him turn his life around).

His grades were so poor out of high school that he nearly had to go to prep school for a year but he just barely managed to qualify for West Virginia.

In February of last year, he and some WVU teammates were arrested for beating and stomping on two students outside a club. They all pleaded no contest.

The kid is a hell of a football player, but I wouldn't expect to see him anywhere around here.
I didn't know any of that. I've watched him play a few times, and he seems like he's a good RB that would fit the Texans system. He spelled Slaton pretty good at WVU, so he seemed like a good fit to me.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009   #20
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Anyone with NFL network might be interested in the Draft Journey show that's on right now. It follows Cushing, Stafford, and Crabtree as they prepare for the draft. Pretty interesting stuff.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read