Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-27-2009   #21
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 53673 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Draft Grades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Beware of the one hit wonder....that's what I'm talking about. Players like him bust more than they hit.

If it works out GREAT! I'll be the first to say, "WOW I was wrong about that guy" and will be glad to do so.....hell I hope so
I understand where you are coming from and agree with you in general. However, with Barwin, he wasn't a struggling TE that salvaged his career by making the switch. He caught 31 balls as a junior and was a special teams standout.

I would suggest you look at these to get a sense of the guy. I think we got a special player:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u79CJdrxZbo

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/556598

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QeKW...eature=related
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009   #22
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 23727 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

Houston Texans: GRADE: B+
This was a very productive draft, as the Texans' first five picks (Brian Cushing, Connor Barwin, Antoine Caldwell, Glover Quin and Anthony Hill) will all contribute quickly. These are solid football players and I really like the Barwin pick. Look for sixth-rounder Brice McCain and seventh-round selection Troy Nolan to also compete for playing time.

From ESPN - - don't have insider, but we made the first section of draft grades.
Old 04-27-2009   #23
Gymrat2005
Rookie

Rep Power: 27 Gymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinstone18 View Post
but but but we didn't draft rashad jennings. F-.

we had a nice draft.
Rashad jennings,was available in the 7th round with our pick and we didint take HIM!,this was the onlt problem with our entire draft,he was a 3rd round talent in the 7th,will know if he was a bust or impact player,we will be playing him twice a year with the Jags.
Gymrat2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009   #24
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1283 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

On Rashad Jennings: every team in the league turned their nose up at this supposed third-round talent until the Jags finally ended his ordeal with the 250th pick.

Either he was not really a third-round talent or--this is admittedly pure speculation--his name might have showed up on the league's list for either character issues or drugs. Unless there are some hard-core Liberty Flame fans on this board, I'm pretty sure nobody here has seen anything except carefully-selected highlights on him. You could probably make a two-minute highlight reel that depicts Travis Johnson as an epic DT.

As with everyone else, I am puzzled about the lack of RB picks, too. Surely there was someone who could have helped us, but the Foster/Johnson pickups ameliorate that situation somewhat.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009   #25
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 103337 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Brian Cushing - C : Not a pick I like. I don't see him as a huge upgrade over Diles except as a 3rd down pass rusher. His medical records are thicker than his potentially artificially produced shoulders. Then on top of it all, I think he's already reach 90% of his full potential. I give them credit for not taking a project in the first. They needed a guy who would give them an immediate impact. He's going to be a quality starter, maybe even a good starter, but I don't see him as anything really special.

Connor Barwin - B+ : You have to like a kid with versatility. To be able to switch from TE to DE in one season and dominate with a pass rush repertoire of "run fast and push people out of your way" is exceptionally rare. He has only begun to scratch the surface of his potential, and once he adds the full bag of tricks I think he has a Ware level ceiling. Of course as a project he could also be a terrible bust; so they don't get an A.

Antoine Caldwell - B+ : Despite mini Shanny's claim to the contrary I think we will see him win a starting role sooner rather than late. I like his physical nature, and ability to fight it out at the point of attack. Once he gets into the lineup the interior line will be much more stout.

Glover Quin - C- : For where we took him, and who we passed on this isn't a great pick. Unless we're changing to a primarily zone scheme I don't think he fits here with his less than amazing man to man skills. They could still use his ball skills in certain zone packages where he should be more effective. He has potential to move to safety, but Smith told him he will be a CB.

Anthony Hill - C- : They have a ton of targets in the red zone that they already under utilize. If you're drafting a guy to be an extra tackle... why not just use a tackle?

James Casey - C+ : I can't fault them too much for going BPA, but they had some serious issues they needed to fix in this draft and didn't over a luxury pick.

Brice McCain - F- : He runs really fast. Yeah that's all I got. To paraphrase Spence from ABC; There are some guys flying under the radar, but I don't think that's the case here. He's really just not that good.

Troy Nolan - B- : There were better players on the board, but I like the position and the player. I like Nolan better than our other young safeties already on the roster. He brings some skills to the table they don't have. I would expect him to win a roster spot with the weak bunch we have back there.

Over all Grade - C- : For the players they got, and the ones they didn't.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009   #26
phantom17
#1 Fan in RGV!

Rep Power: 1292 phantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respected

I really like the picks! It seems like the FO did their homework, very methodical. They want to get faster on D with high football IQ guys to get to the QB- Cush, Barwin, Nolan, & Quin! Address their return team with a speed merchant-B. Mcain (4.2-4.3 in the 40)! Address their RED ZONE problems with Hill (a big blocking TE), Casey, & Caldwell, again high character guys with high football IQs! And they got Jason Watkins, RBs- J. Johnson & Arian Foster via UDFA way. My DRAFT GRADE B+!!!!!! Now, I really can't wait till football season!
Old 04-27-2009   #27
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 57275 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Ive got insider. Some other interesting grades:

Texans B+ (5th highest)
Colts and Jags and Titans C+

McShay said the draft was solid, credits Casey as best pick, Quin as worst pick.
Old 04-27-2009   #28
hobie
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 5549 hobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's wait 2 years !!!
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009   #29
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 57275 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie View Post
Let's wait 2 years !!!
What will we do for the next 4 months??
Old 04-27-2009   #30
Texaninlild
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4558 Texaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Texaninlild

I am going B+ to A-. We will not know for a few years out, but we got high energy, strong character and super athletic kids. They spoke a lot about locker room chemistry during the press conference. I see that attitude in every player I have seen interviewed. Ask the Cowpies if chemistry matters.

I am a Christian

Philippians 4:13
Texaninlild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009   #31
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 148234 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Sporting News gives us a B.

I give it a B+. I'm not as upset at not drafting a RB after reading that Jennings isn't good up the middle. We've already signed two rookie RBs, both sound interesting.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009   #32
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 192752 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Ive got insider. Some other interesting grades:

Texans B+ (5th highest)
Colts and Jags and Titans C+

McShay said the draft was solid, credits Casey as best pick, Quin as worst pick.
seeing your post made me go check

Mercy, even Mel-HairGel gave us a B+...

Quote:
This was a very productive draft, as the Texans' first five picks (Brian Cushing, Connor Barwin, Antoine Caldwell, Glover Quin and Anthony Hill) will all contribute quickly. These are solid football players and I really like the Barwin pick. Look for sixth-rounder Brice McCain and seventh-round selection Troy Nolan to also compete for playing time.
props from bspn?!? Its a sign of the Apocolypse, I tell ya!!
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009   #33
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

i am not a huge fan of the Cushing pick but its not like i am saying he is a bad player, i just don't think he is special enough to be picked where he was selected. he seems to be a self-made player and although I respect that, dollars to donuts I would rather have a born talent that works hard. make sense? I would much rather have drafted Oher. You can never have too many OL in this league and Oher is elite and just a wonderful human being that obviously has incredible character, determination, and pride. The Ravens made out like bandits and were more than happy to move up a few slots to get him once he started dropping.

Looking at Cushing from a more optimistic angle, I like the fact that he looks like he is going to fill out some more and has some more physical maturation forthcoming. In other words, he looks like a manchild. Lets see what he looks like in a few years, has he already hit his ceiling? I actually feel it may be the opposite. Most importantly, I love the fact that he loves the game, is from a winning program, and is ultra competitive on and off the field. His competitiveness probably had more to do with the Texans selecting him so early.

There are lots of things I like about Cushing, but at the end of the day he has shown himself to be too much of an injury risk for my taste. Once Jenkins was gone, he was probably the best fit for the Texans but the injury history just scares me too too much.

The rest of the draft was pretty nice and I like them FINALLY really trying to address the Center position. We have had scrubs at that position since Day One. Casey was a nice selection and he could be the short yardage element that we all are looking for.

I'll give the boys at Reliant a B grade because Cushing looks good at face value but if Cushing turns out to be injury prone, that grade plummets.

fwiw - i am not a cowboys hater, but you gotta give their draft an F no matter how you slice it. to give up so much for Roy Williams is just ignorant and you gotta hold him to task for screwing the pooch on that one....and the raiders...well they were worse than ever and was probably...no easily...the worst draft in the history of the league. Davis must have no concept of value and probably has a hard time counting to 10 nowadays. Once such a great great football mind, its just sad to see someone fall so far into senility.

Last edited by Second Honeymoon; 04-27-2009 at 01:23 PM.
Second Honeymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009   #34
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

My thoughts.

Cushing

As far a Cushing goes, it took me a little while to get over us passing on Mathews. I guess there is a lot of Oiler still left in me and the idea of drafting one of our best players of all times son had some sentimental meaning to it. But that is not why I fell in love with Mathews as a player. He just seemed to always be around the ball and come up with big plays. To me that is one of the biggest needs this defense has. I still think he will become a great player.

However after standing back and looking at the big picture I realize that we just drafted pretty much the consensus 2nd best LB in the entire draft. No one has been complaining about our weak ass OLB's here longer than me. That is why I was willing to draft Adibi with a 1st round trade down last year.

Barwin

I really like that when he is rushign the passer he has good body lean when he engages the blockers. Alot of these edge speed rushers blow out of their stance and stand straight up. They can get away with that in college becuse they are so athletic. That doesnt fly in the pro's. I dont know if he's going to be any good or not but I like idea of having his athleticism and what little skillset I have seen on the edge compared to anything we have had at that spot.

I still wish we would of drafted Max Unger here but I can live with Barwin.

Caldwell

When I watched him he was really good at the POA but he wasnt really used like a ZB OL. By that I mean he didnt pull or go downfeild much. I love that he wont get pushed back like Myers but wonder if he will be able to handle getting to the second level. According to the scouting reports he can but I didnt see it. I guess we wouldnt of drafted him if Gibbs didnt think he could. I'll defer to the man on that one. Overall if he can do the things I havent seen him do he will be well worth a 3rd round pick.

Glover Quin

I really dont know enough about him to make a judgement. There were some pretty good players left that I really wanted but oh well.

Anthony Hill

Didnt really see the need to take this kind of a player this high. For those who say he is Bruners replacement I say....wasnt Breuner only activated for 2 games last year? Whatever if he helps our redzone problems he will have been worth a 4th. We will see.

James Casey

I love Casey's versatility but this was a total luxury pick. Thats still fine by me. A fith round pick on a guy like this is well within reason. I sure hope Shanny JR can figure out a way to utize his talents.

Brice McCain

Im still scrathing my head on this one just like last year. I guess this is something we are all going to have to get used to. Us taking players that we arent familar with in the 6th and 7th rounds.

Troy Nolan

This guy dont look bad from his highlights but like I said above.

Overall I give this draft a B-. If I knew anything about the secondary players we drafted I would feel alot better about this draft. As far as us not getting a backup RB, Im not really worried about that to much at this time. After the 3rd round the talent that was left was no better than what we have picked up as UFA so far and I expect some more players to be brought in before we go to training camp.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read