Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-26-2009   #1
New_Texans
All Pro

Rep Power: 29 New_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Draft Grades

Already? Time will tell.

Link

Quote:
Houston

Several teams told me that the Texans picked some very athletic players, starting with USC outside linebacker Brian Cushing. Cincinnati defensive end Connor Barwin is a converted tight end who led the Big East with 11 sacks in his senior season. Barwin sounds like the next Mike Vrabel. Alabama's Antoine Caldwell started 34 of his 48 career games at center. He's a great long snapper and can also play guard.

New Mexico cornerback Glover Quin had a record 40 3/4-inch vertical jump while also squatting 500 pounds; he may be the strongest athlete at the position. Quin could end up being a free safety. Anthony Hill is a blocking tight end from North Carolina State, while everyone will be curious about Rice's James Casey, who had 111 receptions last season. Casey is a former baseball player who is a very special athlete. Grade: A
Old 04-26-2009   #2
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Draft Grades

i kind of have a bias against anything the Fox Network puts reports on but i'm starting to come around.
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009   #3
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81420 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I would give us . . .

A- for Cushing. We needed a starting SLB and we got one.

B+ for Barwin. We needed a pass rusher and we got one in Barwin.

A for Caldwell. We needed interior O-Line depth and we maybe got a starter in Caldwell.

B- for Quin. He will play FS for us and while I like him as a prospect I thought we should have gone with a more impactful DB at that point.

B- for Hill. I admit I was completely pissed when we made this pick, but that's because I wasn't thinking about the grand scheme of things. He really gives us some options now on the goalline.

B for Casey. He is a clone of OD in my mind and should be an excellent recieiving option for us. I see a lot of 2 TE sets for us now.

C+ for McCain. We needed a CB, but unfortunately we waited too long to take one. I don't see him contributing much beyond a dime back.

B for Nolan. We needed a SS and I thought we should have addressed it earlier, but we still got a good player in Nolan.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009   #4
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3rm0nt3r View Post
i kind of have a bias against anything the Fox Network puts reports on but i'm starting to come around.
LOL.

Come on now. This is Fox Sports we are talking about here.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009   #5
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoMan View Post
LOL.

Come on now. This is Fox Sports we are talking about here.
Better than the Reggie Bush Sports Network...
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009   #6
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 187579 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Better than the Reggie Bush Sports Network...
that's not really saying much
kinda like comparing crap from a cow to crap from horse
it all stinks
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009   #7
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 150814 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
that's not really saying much
kinda like comparing crap from a cow to crap from horse
it all stinks
About a week ago Mel Kiper was still trying to justify Reggie .
Old 04-26-2009   #8
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1518 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
About a week ago Mel Kiper was still trying to justify Reggie .
Saw that and couldnt believe he still thinks he should have went #1.
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009   #9
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81420 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frak The Jags View Post
Saw that and couldnt believe he still thinks he should have went #1.
Well he did say that the day he got drafted Reggie would be the best RB in the NFL outside of LT. He also said that Bush was the best RB prospect to come out since Barry Sanders and that he was Sanders, Walter Payton, & Gale Sayers all rolled into one player.

Yea I wouldn't want to look like that much of an ***** either and would probably still be defending the pick although it is a mute point now.

I saw that Outside the Lines story and could only laugh at his defense of Bush as the pick.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 04-27-2009   #10
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Well he did say that the day he got drafted Reggie would be the best RB in the NFL outside of LT. .
Whats funny is that
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009   #11
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
Whats funny is that
Slaton is better.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009   #12
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81208 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm still not high on the Barwin pick.....just don't like using a mid 2nd rounder on a project player, just because he has "potential" (potential can get you fired). I would've liked to see them get a player who can come in from day one and contribute as a starter type player.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009   #13
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
I'm still not high on the Barwin pick.....just don't like using a mid 2nd rounder on a project player, just because he has "potential" (potential can get you fired). I would've liked to see them get a player who can come in from day one and contribute as a starter type player.
What does it matter if he starts as long as he contributes. Make no mistake he will contribute immediately for us.

He already has the skills, but he has the potential to be even better than that. If he had been picked by a 3-4 team then he would start at OLB as a rush LB as a rookie. It just so happens that we have finally solidified our LB and DE problems and he just doesn't have a place to start at right now. He is most certainly not a "project" player though.

Jacoby Jones & Antwaun Molden are project players, Barwin is not.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 04-27-2009   #14
hot pickle
السلام عليكم

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

barwin is one of my favorite picks... i think he will be great

i give us a B+

not so high on anthony hill pick.. but love the rest
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009   #15
rollinstone18
let it bleed

Rep Power: 2574 rollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respected

but but but we didn't draft rashad jennings. F-.

we had a nice draft.
rollinstone18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009   #16
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, I'm pretty satisfied....the monkey is definately on my back now. I tought there was no way we would take Barwin. I believed that the LB ws the best way to go.

Smith said tonight.....Every time they had the oportunity to take a back....these other guys out weighed the need for a back. we'll see. Some of them are pretty bazzar. Off my radar for sure. Scouted New Mexico for chase Holbrook and the RB....the Cb wasn't on my radar. My guess with the last two....since they seem no where near ready for prime time.....they were looking for guys who could come in and disrupt the other teams gunner in the punt return package.

I give us a solid B.....If the sack total passes thirty....B+. They get into the AFC championship game....I guess they knew what they were doing. A
Old 04-27-2009   #17
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81208 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
He is most certainly not a "project" player though.

Jacoby Jones & Antwaun Molden are project players, Barwin is not.
A player who was a TE and offensive player that was moved and played one year at DE, is all intents and purposes a project player in the NFL. Especially if you're going to mention Antwaun Molden as one...he's more polished at his position than Barwin is right now and was coming out (he just wasn't ready for the talent level he was going to face last year) Barwin is athletic as hell, but this guy is going to have to be coached up and I just don't like taking players like that in the second round...sorry, that's just my opinion. I like players that have a much higher floor than a super high ceiling, how many times have we gotten bit in the butt with those type of players? Too many to even remember, but like all those other type of players.....I'll try to stay positive and I wish him all the success in the world. Hope he pans out to be a fantastic player for us. Hopefully he can come in and blow it up on STs like Molden did, that would be great.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 04-27-2009 at 01:30 AM.
Old 04-27-2009   #18
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
A player who was a TE and offensive player that was moved and played one year at DE, is all intents and purposes a project player in the NFL. Especially if you're going to mention Antwaun Molden as one...he's more polished at his position than Barwin is right now and was coming out (he just wasn't ready for the talent level he was going to face last year) Barwin is athletic as hell, but this guy is going to have to be coached up and I just don't like taking players like that in the second round...sorry, that's just my opinion. I like players that have a much higher floor than a super high ceiling, how many times have we gotten bit in the butt with those type of players? Too many to even remember.
Bull dung....he went into a position...on the coaches say so.....and led his conference in sacks on raw phyiscal tallen. Now you could say he's a project to stand up at will. But the lad does know how to run the arc and get there.
Eleven sacks wasn't nothing. He doesn't have to be coached sheet to get a sack. The lad already knows how to do that.
Old 04-27-2009   #19
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Bull dung....he went into a position...on the coaches say so.....and led his conference in sacks on raw phyiscal tallen. Now you could say he's a project to stand up at will. But the lad does know how to run the arc and get there.
Eleven sacks wasn't nothing. He doesn't have to be coached sheet to get a sack. The lad already knows how to do that.
Beware of the one hit wonder....that's what I'm talking about. Players like him bust more than they hit.

If it works out GREAT! I'll be the first to say, "WOW I was wrong about that guy" and will be glad to do so.....hell I hope so
Old 04-27-2009   #20
hot pickle
السلام عليكم

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

ill take back what i said about anthony hill.. i think he will help us alot in the red zone...
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read