Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-27-2009   #41
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "Other ways to acquiring a player besides free agency and the draft". . .Rick Smi

Here's something to think about. I've never been a big guy on trading away draft picks for players. I love the idea of building through the draft. I also think it's very rare to trade for young players that were just drafted in the last few years.

With that said, I'd like to use Hillis as an example. The Broncos have new people in charge and may be getting rid of the previous regime's guys. Heck, they already have! Now, Hillis was drafted in the 7th round last year but completely outplayed his draft position. The guy averaged 5 yards a carry on 68 rushes with 5 TDs. Avg. reception was almost 13yards off 14 catches with 1 TD. Never fumbled the ball. Has proven he can play in the system we run and in the NFL. Is still young- only 23!

I don't know what draft pick it would take to get him... but please remember this is purely hypothetical. Kubiak/Smith wanted Shonn Green/Glen Coffee with our 3rd round pick. Who knows where they had Andre Brown rated. But if you compare Player A (Hillis) to players in the draft and where we would have taken them- 3rd/4th/5th/6th... couldn't you argue that your getting a known quantity that's arguably better for the same price? Only difference is we're giving away a future pick and we don't know who would be on the board at that time. But we'd have a "better" RB that's needed for this year.

Just something to think about.. Thoughts?
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009   #42
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "Other ways to acquiring a player besides free agency and the draft". . .Rick Smi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Here's something to think about. I've never been a big guy on trading away draft picks for players. I love the idea of building through the draft. I also think it's very rare to trade for young players that were just drafted in the last few years.

With that said, I'd like to use Hillis as an example. The Broncos have new people in charge and may be getting rid of the previous regime's guys. Heck, they already have! Now, Hillis was drafted in the 7th round last year but completely outplayed his draft position. The guy averaged 5 yards a carry on 68 rushes with 5 TDs. Avg. reception was almost 13yards off 14 catches with 1 TD. Never fumbled the ball. Has proven he can play in the system we run and in the NFL. Is still young- only 23!

I don't know what draft pick it would take to get him... but please remember this is purely hypothetical. Kubiak/Smith wanted Shonn Green/Glen Coffee with our 3rd round pick. Who knows where they had Andre Brown rated. But if you compare Player A (Hillis) to players in the draft and where we would have taken them- 3rd/4th/5th/6th... couldn't you argue that your getting a known quantity that's arguably better for the same price? Only difference is we're giving away a future pick and we don't know who would be on the board at that time. But we'd have a "better" RB that's needed for this year.

Just something to think about.. Thoughts?
I agree totally. Getting a proven commodity is always better. The only problem is that sometimes guys who seem like "proven commodities" in one system just don't produce in other systems. This isn't something we'd have to worry about with Hillis, though.

This is why I think its much better to draft bpa for your system than to reach and draft on need. Draft guys you know you can work with and then sell high if you can

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read