Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-26-2009   #1
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected
Default "Other ways to acquiring a player besides free agency and the draft". . .Rick Smith

During the press conference, after the draft, when asked about not drafting a running back, Rick Smith stated , "There are other ways to acquiring a player besides free agency and the draft".

Any chance he could be talking about a trade? Also, they mentioned that they took James Casey because he was the highest rated player on their board at the time....Maybe a piece of trait bait?

Thoughts?

Mods, sorry if this isn't in the right spot. . .

Last edited by Texans Pride; 04-26-2009 at 05:53 PM.
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009   #2
Ckw

Default Re: "Other ways to acquiring a player besides free agency and the draft". . .Rick Smi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Pride View Post
In the press conference after the draft, Rick Smith stated, "There are other ways to acquiring a player besides free agency and the draft".

Any chance he could be talking about a trade? Also, they mentioned that they took James Casey because he was the highest rated player on their board at the time....Maybe a piece of trait bait?

Thoughts?

I hope not. I am pumped about Casey. He gives us some much needed versatility. He could really end up being the steal of the draft.
Old 04-26-2009   #3
Lucky

Rep Power: 141386 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "Other ways to acquiring a player besides free agency and the draft". . .Rick Smi

Quote:
In the press conference after the draft, Rick Smith stated, "There are other ways to acquiring a player besides free agency and the draft".

Any chance he could be talking about a trade?
Free agency, draft, trades...what else is there? Cloning?

If you clone Mario and AJ, would you have to give the copies the same contracts? Food for thought...

They must have deal with someone for a RB. They must. Speculation has been some of the excess Bronco backs. We shall see.
Old 04-26-2009   #4
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post
I hope not. I am pumped about Casey. He gives us some much needed versatility. He could really end up being the steal of the draft.
I am too. The SI article got me to hoping we implement the Wild Bull as a large part of our offense.
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009   #5
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 46692 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

We might sign someone as an UDFA or work a trade. That's about all that's left
Stemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009   #6
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Free agency, draft, trades...what else is there? Cloning?

If you clone Mario and AJ, would you have to give the copies the same contracts? Food for thought...

They must have deal with someone for a RB. They must. Speculation has been some of the excess Bronco backs. We shall see.
Sign and trade #23? I dunno. I do think they have something up their sleeves.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009   #7
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
During the press conference, after the draft, when asked about not drafting a running back, Rick Smith stated , "There are other ways to acquiring a player besides free agency and the draft".

Thoughts?

Nope. I don't think its trade bait. As I have said in another thread, the Broncos have too many rbs and will cut at least 1 if not two. I think we will sign one or both.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-26-2009   #8
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherstang84 View Post
I do think they have something up their sleeves.
Kind of sounds that way doesn't it.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009   #9
Lucky

Rep Power: 141386 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherstang84 View Post
I do think they have something up their sleeves.
I don't know about trading Dunta. But with the Jets drafting Shonn Greene, Thomas Jones might be available.
Old 04-26-2009   #10
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 29181 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
I am too. The SI article got me to hoping we implement the Wild Bull as a large part of our offense.
If there is a Wild Bull, I fully expect it to be a set of 10 olinemen and 1 bruiser
gg no re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009   #11
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemp View Post
We might sign someone as an UDFA or work a trade. That's about all that's left
keep an eagle eye on the waiver wire...
...or is that considered free agency?
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009   #12
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

UDFA is another option.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009   #13
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 77922 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I would have considered waiver wires and UDFA to be free agency so he must be thinking trade..... who do we have to shop though? (that would want #23 huge ego and paycheck)
Old 04-26-2009   #14
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

some around here would hate us talking to Denver, but I think LaMont Jordan would be a great fit here, instead of the crowded backfield in Denver. If Rick has any friends left there, a phone call is appropriate at this time.
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009   #15
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21867 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Since Al loves speed, speed, & more speed, I say we send JJ to him in exchange for 1 of his 7 RB's. I'll take that bench warmer named Michael Bush, if you don't mind.

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009   #16
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

off the streets

Iam going to be the texans next RB ......

or maybe they will get a player from the euro/canada leauge
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009   #17
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81923 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Signed 2 UDFA's in Oregon RB Jeremiah Johnson & Tennessee RB Arian Foster.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009   #18
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

I think travis is trade bait. no one keeps 5 dt's on their roster. Also, either bentley or thompson might be gone also.
Old 04-27-2009   #19
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I would not be surprised to see Dunta Robinson, David Anderson, Travis Johnson and Owen Daniels being mentioned in trade discussions. David Anderson or Travis Johnson to the Broncos makes the most sense for one of their RBs in my opinion.
Old 04-27-2009   #20
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Signed 2 UDFA's in Oregon RB Jeremiah Johnson & Tennessee RB Arian Foster.
I saw this in todays Chron with the tag 1000 yard rushers "hampered by injuries."
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6393184.html

Quote:
Smith hopes the Texans solved the issue with two undrafted free agents — Oregon’s Jeremiah Johnson (5-9, 209) and Tennessee’s Arian Foster (6-1, 226), both of whom were 1,000-yard rushers hampered by injuries.

Johnson rushed for 1,201 yards and 13 touchdowns last season. Foster ran for 1,193 yards and 12 touchdowns as a junior, but after undergoing knee surgery after the season, he was limited to 570 yards as a senior.

The Texans believe the free-agent backs fit in their one-cut zone system.

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 04-27-2009 at 10:15 AM.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read