Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-21-2005   #1
Bayern
Veteran

Default Derrick Johnson

Just from surfing mocks around the net and listening to the opinions of everyone here, it seems the general consensus is that a lot of teams are going to be looking to move down this draft. That is try and find the less well known talent later in the 1st and early 2nd. Obviously with teams wanting to move down there will be teams wanting to move up.

Now I've seen mocks having DJ go as high as the 3rd pick to the Browns, but more realistically I'd see him going around 5th or 6th. Statistically what would Houston have to give up to MOVE UP from the 13th pick and take the one sure fire awesome linebacker in this years draft? Our 2nd and maybe one of our 3rds? Both of our 3rds? More?? I know it is a bold move but in a weak draft, it doesn't seem to crazy. That would take Houston's linebacker corp from pretty good to freaking scary instantly.

BTW, I am aware of Houston's other glaring needs, but a consistent pass rush is one of the biggest IMO!

Please voice your opinions! Thank you for your time.

Last edited by Bayern; 01-21-2005 at 02:00 PM.
Bayern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005   #2
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 22903 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

We'd have to give up our second round pick,our forth and our fifth.

#6 (1700 points); #13 (1150); #47 (440); #109 (78) and #140 (39)

#13 + #47 + #109 + #140 = 1707 points
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005   #3
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 158703 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Those charts are just a guide...just like all people do not get the same interest rates when a loan is taken out (prime rate is just a guide). It's relative to supply and demand, quality of the relative talent in the draft and team needs. If Johnson is "the" best linebacker on the board and nobody is close to him he will demand more than that in a trade up.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005   #4
KeithBulluck53
Rookie

we want derrick i read fish likes johnson and if available will probaly get him. Imagine bulluck sirmon johnson even you guys have to say thats a great trio
KeithBulluck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005   #5
J-Man
Veteran

Number19...which value chart are you using? I do agree with your assesment but the one I have is a bit different, ie. not giving up the 5th rounder.

Eat 'em Up, KATS!
J-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005   #6
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

This is the draft pick trade value chart - http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/6330687...

According to this, in order to get the #6 pick, where DJ may be available, we'd have to give up our 1st, 2nd, and 3A...

In order to get the 3rd overall pick, we'd probably have to give up all of our picks or trade one of our better players along with a few picks...
Old 01-21-2005   #7
Bayern
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK
This is the draft pick trade value chart - http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/6330687...

In order to get the 3rd overall pick, we'd probably have to give up all of our picks or trade one of our better players along with a few picks...
Well yeah thats taking it too far IMO, if we have to give up established talent and possibly all of our picks. If there is one thing I have confidence in more than anything, its casserly's ability to find the not-so-easy-to-see talent deep in the later rounds. If Houston could somehow get away with losing our second, one of our thirds and maybe one more pick it would be interesting. I don't think its worth trading up if we have to go as high as the 3rd pick.
Sponsored links
Old 01-21-2005   #8
Bayern
Veteran

If Houston does make a go at Derrick, I don't see the Titans as being competition. I can see Tennesse going after Alex Barron more than anything.

On a side note BTW, we are a 3-4 defense, and I'm of the opinion you can never have enough talent in the linebacker spots for this team. As Vinny has posted many times, the best 3-4 teams go after a prospect linebacker every year.

Last edited by Bayern; 01-21-2005 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-21-2005   #9
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 22903 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Man
Number19...which value chart are you using? I do agree with your assesment but the one I have is a bit different, ie. not giving up the 5th rounder.
I'm using a chart from nfldraftview.com; but it's hardcopy from last year. Based on other comments, it seems there are multiple charts, or maybe they change from year to year. And as Vinny says, these charts only represent a starting point for the wheeling and dealing.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005   #10
astrofan
Veteran

regardless of what chart you use I think the general rule of thumb is that the team moving up usually gives up a little more than the team moving down
astrofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005   #11
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72917 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrofan
regardless of what chart you use I think the general rule of thumb is that the team moving up usually gives up a little more than the team moving down
keyword: usually.

If a team wants to move down bad enough, they can get taken.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005   #12
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_ROCK
keyword: usually.

If a team wants to move down bad enough, they can get taken.
That could be the case this year if the top 5 teams wanted to move down.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005   #13
Wild Bill
Rookie

Let's be real. There is no way that Houston will make a run for Derrick Johnson. Would they love to have him, absolutely!! Is it realistic, NO!! Derrick Johnson probably should be the first pick in the draft. He will be a franchise Linebacker and a future Hall of Famer, in my opinion, of course. San Fran. should use their first pick on the real thing and then take Lienart next year. But, their not going to do that. They will make Alex Smith or Aaron Rogers the first pick.

Houston is looking closely at DT's such as Shaun Cody and Marcus Spears as well as the nosetackle from USC - Patterson. They are going to address the defensive line first only because there are not any O-Lineman in this draft worthy of a high first round pick. (Not even A. Barron)

For all of us who like to waste time reviewing other people's wild guesses in the Mock Draft forums, and have fun speculating who the Texans will take with their first pick, the reality is Derrick Johnson will not be a Houston Texan....unfortunately.
Wild Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005   #14
shinerbock_girl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 shinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVP
Send a message via MSN to shinerbock_girl Send a message via Yahoo to shinerbock_girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Bill
Let's be real. There is no way that Houston will make a run for Derrick Johnson. Would they love to have him, absolutely!! Is it realistic, NO!! Derrick Johnson probably should be the first pick in the draft. He will be a franchise Linebacker and a future Hall of Famer, in my opinion, of course. San Fran. should use their first pick on the real thing and then take Lienart next year. But, their not going to do that. They will make Alex Smith or Aaron Rogers the first pick.

Houston is looking closely at DT's such as Shaun Cody and Marcus Spears as well as the nosetackle from USC - Patterson. They are going to address the defensive line first only because there are not any O-Lineman in this draft worthy of a high first round pick. (Not even A. Barron)

For all of us who like to waste time reviewing other people's wild guesses in the Mock Draft forums, and have fun speculating who the Texans will take with their first pick, the reality is Derrick Johnson will not be a Houston Texan....unfortunately.
It doesn't seem like he will be available anyways....

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/fo...7669600.htm?1c
shinerbock_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005   #15
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

That article is from January 2004. He played the 2004 season with the Horns as a senior.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005   #16
shinerbock_girl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 shinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVP
Send a message via MSN to shinerbock_girl Send a message via Yahoo to shinerbock_girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD
That article is from January 2004. He played the 2004 season with the Horns as a senior.
OK, i didn't look at the date...my bad..lol
shinerbock_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005   #17
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 304671 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Bill
And the crystal ball season has officially arrived.
Old 01-26-2005   #18
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

I love how some folks speak as though they and CC are communicating daily on what the team needs to do in the draft. Maybe they are just hearing voices. LOL

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005   #19
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansgal8
OK, i didn't look at the date...my bad..lol

Don't worry about it....I still write 2004 and probably will until March! Honest mistake on your part...I call mine senior moments.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read