Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-25-2009   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default TC:Texans and the NFL Draft: Are we there yet?

Quote:
Sometimes I think the NFL draft is like Christmas. I love Christmas, but pretty much by the time Christmas rolls around, I couldn't be any more done with the pre-Christmas hype of shopping, specials, to-do lists, music played since before Halloween etc.

Most of the pre-Christmas junk has nothing to do with Christmas.

And now we are at the time of year where I'm pretty burnt on draft talk. There's little being talked about I haven't already heard five milliondy times already.

The draft I love. Best year ever was when I was stuck sick in bed both days of the draft. The endless full of themselves experts pre-draft talk however eventually gets like this to me. (WARNING: Do not click on that last link if you are pregnant, nursing, have a compromised immune system, shortness of breath, a heart condition or any other serious medical condition. May cause diarrhea, runny stools, and/or constipation because just about every medication out there does, and that link is much much worse).

For me, the joy of the draft doesn't come until after I know what players my team selected. Opening the presents so to speak. (I know that opening the presents isn't what Christmas is all about, but tell that to a kid, and they will nod sagely while hoping that they got their favorite Wii game under the tree).

My approach to the draft
http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2...aft_are_w.html
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009   #2
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: TC:Texans and the NFL Draft: Are we there yet?

Twas the night before draft day and all through the house...

It's Christmas in April! Did everyone remember to leave a hot dog and a mug of beer for Draft Claus tonight?

He sees you when your 2-14, he knows when you're 8-8, he knows if your GM is good or bad...so trade back for goodness sake.
Old 04-25-2009   #3
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213051 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

That Matt Millen vid with the crawl on screen was priceless. Absolutely spot-on priceless.

How does she find these things?

Genius. ....absolute genius
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009   #4
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
That Matt Millen vid with the crawl on screen was priceless. Absolutely spot-on priceless.

How does she find these things?

Genius. ....absolute genius
Thank you.

Fans want the Rockem Sockem Robots, but sometimes the presents that aren't advertised the most on TV are the most fun.

I think I pegged this draft pretty well (from the blog post).

Quote:
What the Texans value higher than some other teams

We talked about this some in the previous post comments about what the Texans value as a team. If you see the Texans make some choices that don't correspond to the "experts" overall NFL draft boards, here's a few things that the Texans may value higher than draft poobahs might.:

1. They Know What They Want on Offense. On offense, they have a very specific things they are looking for to make their system offense run well. What they value in positions throughout the offense may be very different than someone who is doing an overall draft board for the entire league.

2. They Value Versatility. They are very interested in whether a player has special teams ability. All teams value this to some degree, but I think the Texans value it more. Special teams play has had to be a priority for a team scrambling to get wins any way they can.

3. They Value Football Character. This is what I wrote in the comments on the previous post:

"If you are looking for a prototypical Texan player from an overall perspective based on what they have done in the past, they highly value the following: smarts, love of football, hard worker, leadership, coachable, versatile, good lockerroom guy, team first guys, no divas. Most teams want those things, but the Texans put a higher value on those things than some teams do and what a lot of draft expert boards do.

This isn't to say they get all Boy Scouts for the team, but the guys they've gotten for the team that don't match those things, tend not to fit in well and get gone. The Texans have had to value those things highly because they don't have guys on the team who have been with the franchise for 10 years or so to tell young players the Texans way of doing things.

Sort of like Bagwell, Biggio and Ausmus did for the Astros and the players that went before them. The Texans are trying to get that culture together from pretty much scratch, and that means putting a premium on football character."

The Texans also try to build football character. They go out of their way to praise examples of it that they see on their team. It was the first thing that the new staff worked on when they came to the team because they saw a lockerroom that didn't have good preparation habits as a group. When you hear Gary Kubiak use the phrase, "________ is learning to prepare like a pro," that's what he is talking about. Some players already "get it" and some players learn to "get it" and the players who don't "get gone."
This explains the variations between what the big boards say the Texans should have done and what they do.

As I recall, back in 2006, there were a bunch of people freaked out that the Texans took that Owen Daniels guy in the 4th round. (Wha? Injury history, not that great a TE, blah blah blah).

If they have more needs than draft picks, they still have a lot of time to get guys for the upcoming season.
Old 04-26-2009   #5
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213051 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

ummm... don't go to the warroom threads with this type of logic.
It may not be we received

saw you at the Draft Party but you were busy talking with N.D., LoneStar, AnnaMegan, and some others...
Old 04-26-2009   #6
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
ummm... don't go to the warroom threads with this type of logic.
It may not be we received

saw you at the Draft Party but you were busy talking with N.D., LoneStar, AnnaMegan, and some others...
You should have come by to say hi! We are going to try bringing ND Kalu by the Platinum lot next season.
Old 04-27-2009   #7
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
You should have come by to say hi! We are going to try bringing ND Kalu by the Platinum lot next season.
I sat there - at the 610 remote setup - and took in all the "ambiance" for about an hour but I had to leave before we made our pick. the only msg board members I know by sight are you, Vinny, and Gary.
Although, I think that was TedC and his dad sitting on the first row...
Sponsored links

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read