Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-22-2005   #1
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP
Default Hard to believe............

But next year will be year 4 for David and all he has been doing is laying on the ground soaking up the sky through the roof of Reliant. I wonder if that is getting just a little bit old. With all of the talk of no upgrade to the O-line I wonder if he might be thinking about moving on? Hasn't been a real satisfying experience in Texas. I have stated many times that we have a lot more to do next year to make it a successful one and I have a feeling its just not in the cards. I don't think changes will happen until the stadium begins to take on the empty look like the last game of the season. That didn't bother them, because the seats were already paid for. Its true the NFL is always a delicate balance, but quite frankly we had a lot of pluses going for us this year and we wound up with a lot of negatives. I will say till I'm blue in the face that injuries a year ago have set this team back at least 2-3 years. The biggest problem is not that injuries occurred is how we reacted to those injuries. We have simply not recognized the limitations of the players involved and moved on to shore up those positions. I think age has been a big factor in some of those injuries and the players probably will never fully recover. Glenn is one of those. I think he's on the down side, because of injuries, age and changes in the defensive rules. Now, don't misunderstand. I'm not saying Glenn isn't any good, but rather he has peeked and he's on the downside with people like Coleman, Payne, Wiegert and Walker. If the plan was to have a group of experience and inexperienced contenders, I think the plan is down the drain. At this point I will say I'm pessimistic, but I will reserve judgement until free agency. If we make no substantial moves in the FA market, then I would say kiss next year off. Is Casserly putting up smoke screens? McNair said they were going to protect David. How does that happen without some new personnel? Seems to me there are a number of contradictory statments being made.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005   #2
MIGHTYTEX
Veteran

"McNair said they were going to protect David. How does that happen without some new personnel?"

Give the O-line personal one more year. They were set-back this year in 2 ways. First was cause they had players playing in new positions and I think the most visible and real reason is cause of the new zone blocking zone. If you look at the stats from year 1 to year 2 the O-Line improved and would most likely have improved this year as well, but with adding Wade, Wand and moving Pitts inside is enough to cause some inconsisentency for a few weeks cause of having to learn to play next to new people. Now you add in a new blocking scheme and that means that they for the most part through caution to the wind last year in part hoping that it will pay off in this up coming year.
Old 01-22-2005   #3
astrofan
Veteran

we've got BJ
let Carr go play in Green Bay or Oakland or somewhere else
Carr has said he wants to retire early and I believe him
BJ will hold us until the kid from Ennis is ready to go
12,532 yards and 167 touchdowns...
astrofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005   #4
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

yeah we also have banks and ragone did you see the numbers the red raiders put up this year. BJ is a product of the system he played in and is comming off a major knee injury and is unproven as a nfl qb. That move would pretty much destroy this franchise. We would turn into the dallas cowboys- always searching for the franchise qb.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 01-22-2005 at 05:44 PM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005   #5
astrofan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bomb
did you see the numbers the red raiders put up this year.
yes I did, and they sucked
59 TDs vs. 32 TDs
nice try
Old 01-22-2005   #6
LiveForTheGame
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to LiveForTheGame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bomb
yeah we also have banks and ragone did you see the numbers the red raiders put up this year. BJ is a product of the system he played in and is comming off a major knee injury and is unproven as a nfl qb. That move would pretty much destroy this franchise. We would turn into the dallas cowboys- always searching for the franchise qb.
BJ and the team he was playing with set records all over the NCAA and school record books. You can't say it's the system when one season is so much more dominant than the rest. The kid is good, but as you said he is an unproven NFL Qb. Once he's healthy we'll see the truth
LiveForTheGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005   #7
astrofan
Veteran

just what is a "product of a system"?
you hear this all the time from horn and aggie fans

is it LaDainian or Peyton or Cedric Benson?
how about Farve or Culpepper or McNair?

I am curious is to what would define a guy as "not a product of a system"
I know small schools play either six-on-six or seven-on-seven
but it seems in american football (11-on-11) that everybody is the product of the system

Pflugerville was awesome this year. Was it the "system" or because they had one of the baddest players in the country playing quarterback?

maybe you don't know what it means and just repeat little catchphrases you hear. if anyone can define "product of a system" in a negative light (and without using Tech in the answer), please respond.
Sponsored links
Old 01-22-2005   #8
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Denver RBs = product of the system
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005   #9
astrofan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Denver RBs = product of the system
I see...
system=offensive line

well I guess that clears it up
Old 01-22-2005   #10
texans
Veteran

50 pass atemps a game=huge numbers
texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005   #11
astrofan
Veteran

well, at least we can take Cedric Bong-san off the top of the big board
after all, university of austin runs it more than 50 times a game
must be the system
thanks for clearing that up
Old 01-22-2005   #12
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

If you need an example of a system QB, look no further than Danny Weurfell (SP?) or any other Florida QB during the Spurrier years...Most were marginal talents with bloated stats based on the coach's "system", or scheme of play-calling...

That being said, I wouldn't say Symons was a "product of Tech's system" because he clearly played better than Kingsbury and Cumbie...When records are broken that handily, you can't credit "the system" for all of it...

However, I am somewhat skeptical that Symons can be the QB that leads this team to prominence...It's possible, but I wouldn't bet on it...
Old 01-22-2005   #13
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 28360 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected

What NCAA record? The only one Symons broke is passing yards, and as everyone knows, passing yards=nil, null, and void, especially when we're talking about 50-60 attempts a game.

That's like taking today's Emmitt Smith, rush him 40 times a game @ 3.3 ypc for 2112 yards over 16 games, and proclaim him to be the greatest 2,000 yard rusher ever.

Symons isn't capable of being starter quality..... no other QB out of the Big 12 other than Chris Simms and Kordell Stewart has become NFL starter quality.
gg no re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005   #14
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

If your reply was directed at me, I was talking more about school records, not NCAA records...

But here is Symons' list of records from his HoustonTexans.Com profile...

Quote:
started for the first time as a senior and set NCAA single-season records for passing yards (5,833), most games with 400 yards in total offense (9), most yards in total offense (5,976), most passing yards per game (448.79), and most yards in total offense per game (459.69)…ranks fifth on school’s career record list with 6,378 passing yards…completed 529 of 822 attempts with 59 TDs and 25 INTs…only Kliff Kingsbury (95, 1999-2002) had more career TD tosses…gained 6,586 yards in total offense to rank fourth in school annals…threw an astounding 52 TDs as a senior…
D-ReK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005   #15
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrofan
yes I did, and they sucked
59 TDs vs. 32 TDs
nice try

I'm not talking about tds I'm talking about the philosophy or system as in passing atempts. I wasn't arguing who was the better qb at TT so you can go ahead and threw your little stats out the window NICE TRY though. I liked the draft pick of BJ as a solid backup, but theres a reason why he fell so low in the draft. He was put in a system that allowed him to put up gaudy numbers and he's comming off a major knee injury. I'm sorry call me stupid but that does not sound like someone that I want to hand the keys to my franchise over to.

oh and by the way someone putting up 32 td drives in their first full year of college ball does not suck. agian NICE TRY

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 01-22-2005 at 10:58 PM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005   #16
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

it all boils down to "whats more impressive".. a QB with a buttload of passing touchdowns in a run dominant offense.. or a QB with a buttload of passing touchdowns in a pass dominant offense? that is where the "product of the system" comes into play.

It doesnt mean that BJ is a bust.. as some people are trying to imply.. all it means is that you cannot judge his talent based on his stats or even necessarily his play on the field. You have to put him in the game, on an NFL level, and see what he does when he isnt being given every opportunity to succeed.

I know what ive got in David Carr.. and I want to keep that. BJ can ride the pine and learn the ropes.. ill be happy to have someone that at least has potential behind carr.. but I wouldnt even put a nickle on him being a better QB.. there is just absolutely no way to tell.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005   #17
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

I don't care who the QB is right now, because he will be flat on his Bxx a good percentage of the time. The O-line has been less than great. Manning would be a basket case if he were playing for Houston. That's how bad the O-line is. David really does a lot when you consider what he's playing behind. I'm not certain how others would perform in the same position, but I think everyone would have a lot of trouble. Am I saying David is great, no! I'm saying we know David has talent, but I think we have only seen glimpses of what he can do. Will David be a Manning? Probably not, as Manning is a very gifted person. But David could be a whole lot better than we are seeing right now. I continue to worry about the management of this team and continue to say the the talents of AJ and DC are being wasted by the coaching staff.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005   #18
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Ibar, all you ever do is bash the team and it sure gets old. I wish some of you Carr-only-fan fresno guys wouldn't troll us so hard. We are on pace to do big things and all you can do is complain about a style of football you will see in todays Championship game. Over and over its the same bashing, and for the last 3 years....same thing. Very old stuff by now.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005   #19
astrofan
Veteran

as Spike Dykes would say: the most popular player on the team is always the backup quarterback

speaking of coach Spike, he would be a good advisor for the Texans. After all, how many coaches in history have produced multiple Doak Walker winners?
He did play for Rice so hopefully he has a little H-Town loyalty

the only negative thing is his five years at university of austin
Old 01-23-2005   #20
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Ibar, I agree with Vinny . . . I'm absolutely sick to death of your negative rants. You've never said one single positive thing about this team ever since you got on this MB. Granted, you're entitled to an opinion just like anyone else, but some objectivity would be nice once in awhile. And you are schitzophrenic when it comes to criticizing. On one hand you say that offensive line is the reason why Carr is not coming along, and then on the other, it's all about the management again. It's just a constant, while at the same time, inconsistant broken record.

I just wish you would quit being a fan of the Houston Texans, and consider switching allegiance to the Washington Redskins or the Cleveland Browns. They both have a management style a lot more suitable to your tastes.

Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read