Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-22-2009   #1
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1028 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Lions have backup deal with Curry, working on Stafford as first choice...

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf...ron_curry.html

According to a league source, the Detroit Lions have completed contract terms with Wake Forest linebacker Aaron Curry and the team is now waiting to see if it can reach an agreement with their No. 1 target, Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford. The source said the Lions will not allow a decision to go beyond Friday and if a deal isn't done with Stafford by then, the team will sign Curry and take him with the first overall draft pick.

The source said he believes that Stafford's agent, Tom Condon, will eventually agree to a deal with the Lions but probably won't do it until it gets closer to the Friday deadline. The price of the contract can only go up in the final hours so Condon will likely push the issue as far as he feels he has something to gain.

The Lions, according to the source, aren't budging and are just waiting to see if Stafford accepts their deal before they move to Curry. The Lions have been adamant that they want to get their draft pick signed before the draft starts at 4 p.m. on Saturday.

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009   #2
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 15877 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Aaron Curry, Lions Have Deal In Place

If they sign Aaron Curry, I expect him to make an immediate impact and he will most likely switch over to the MLB spot, if he is selected. That being said having Ernie Simms, Aaron Curry, and Julian Peterson makes there LB corps even better.

Last edited by Texan4Ever; 04-22-2009 at 05:41 PM.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009   #3
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58770 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Personally, I think this is a better move than Stafford. I dont trust any of the top name QB's in this draft. Curry will not be Hall of Fame material, but he will be a very good player for a long time.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009   #4
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

I would rather have Curry than Stafford
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009   #5
djohn2oo8
Veteran

Rep Power: 5520 djohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respected

This will shake up the draft for sure....teams will be trading up left and right to get sanchez, or freeman, so maybe texans can get some extra picks.....Or, Malcolm Jenkins will still be there
djohn2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009   #6
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Any word on if the Lions are negotiating with any of the tackles?
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009   #7
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194572 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I think the lions have crashed & burned on so many QBs, they need to focus on another aspect of their team. Namely Defense. They need to become the Minnesota Vikings/Chicago Bears/Baltimore Ravens.... If they had a dominating defense when Kitna was their, I think they could've gone all the way.

I think Curry should be their pick, and later in the first, they need to go after Perry, or Davis.
Old 04-22-2009   #8
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15877 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

According to NFL.com, the Lions have a plan in place to sign Aaron Curry but are negoiating with Matthew Stafford, because if Stafford doesn't sign he coud drop out of the top 10.

Link: http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80fec654
Old 04-22-2009   #9
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 130554 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

If I was Stafford I'd consider this good news. I'd tell my agent to ask for 100 mil guaranteed...from the Lions only though.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009   #10
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2409 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

From what I understand from PFT, Jason Smith and Stafford are with the same agency so it causes some conflict of interest. I'm really curious as to how they are handling that. One of the clients is probably getting screwed and not promoted to their full potential.

Curry and his agent are trying to undercut both of them knowing he'll make more money than if he were just to be drafted #3. Pretty good move.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009   #11
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran04 View Post
From what I understand from PFT, Jason Smith and Stafford are with the same agency so it causes some conflict of interest. I'm really curious as to how they are handling that. One of the clients is probably getting screwed and not promoted to their full potential.

Curry and his agent are trying to undercut both of them knowing he'll make more money than if he were just to be drafted #3. Pretty good move.
That's what I would hate if I were a top prospect. The agency could very well be looking at their "bottom line" and coming up with their own mock drafts to see what kind of money they're going to make depending on which player goes where. Stafford has a better chance of dropping lower than Smith. So just from that standpoint if they could negotiate Stafford at #1, they're probably pretty confident Smith goes in the next few selections.

That's unfair to Smith since he could potentially be the best selection for the lions at #1. But it doesn't sound like he's a major player right now anyways.
Old 04-22-2009   #12
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Default Breaking News - Stafford A Lion...

Matthew Stafford is a Lion...well almost. According to sources, the Lions well probably have this deal done by Thursday, if not, they have a tentative deal with Aaron Curry just in case.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns

Detroit Lions =
Old 04-22-2009   #13
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

This would be better off for both sides. and the league for that matter. Stafford drops to 4 and the Seahawks draft their QB of the future the Lions build their team up as Culpepper is apparently in shape (probably good for 1-2 seasons) and, because Curry undercut Stafford for the number one pick GMs across the league have something to wave in front of players faces and the price tag attached to unproven rookies doesn't rise too much (maybe i'm getting a little too optimistic with that last one).
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009   #14
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Default Re: Breaking News - Stafford A Lion...

This doesn't confirm that a deal has been reached. Just that they're meeting in hopes of finalizing something. Nothing's concrete though.

I do expect the Lions to come to terms with Stafford and Condon though.

Per the link, nfldraftbible.com reported Stafford that the lions and stafford had reached terms on an $80 million deal. Aren't these the same guys that bogusly said Matthews and Cushing tested positive for steroids and that Raji tested positive for marijuana?
Old 04-22-2009   #15
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Someones broken out their jump to conclusions mat.

kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009   #16
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

There was another web site I was at that was reporting that a deal had been made and that the Lions are just waiting on Stafford and his agent, so its either Stafford or Curry as of now.
Old 04-22-2009   #17
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
There was another web site I was at that was reporting that a deal had been made and that the Lions are just waiting on Stafford and his agent, so its either Stafford or Curry as of now.
It wasn't nfldraftbible was it?

I thank god that we had some great players to choose from after out putrid season. For the record, I would pick Jason Smith. They have enough picks to get some good d later on.
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009   #18
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68163 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
This doesn't confirm that a deal has been reached. Just that they're meeting in hopes of finalizing something. Nothing's concrete though.

I do expect the Lions to come to terms with Stafford and Condon though.

Per the link, nfldraftbible.com reported Stafford that the lions and stafford had reached terms on an $80 million deal. Aren't these the same guys that bogusly said Matthews and Cushing tested positive for steroids and that Raji tested positive for marijuana?
If that is who is reporting it then I don't believe it.

I'll wait until someone else reports it.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009   #19
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 90531 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Lions have backup deal with Curry, working on Stafford as first choice...

They should be concentrating on one of the OT's.

I'm not going to say it's all on their Oline (cuz we went through that), but the Lions gave up 52 sacks last season. BUILD FROM THE INSIDE OUT!!

Good grief!
Old 04-23-2009   #20
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Lions have backup deal with Curry, working on Stafford as first choice...

I think taking Curry is the best pick the Lions can make, especially if he is willing to take less money. Even if he isn't I take him.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read