Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-23-2009   #21
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith presser quotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
Sounds to me like Rick Smith is saying if we can't trade down for Moreno we'll stay put and take Wells at 15....
Yep, that's it. You've broke the code
Old 04-23-2009   #22
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Yep, that's it. You've broke the code
You know, as long as whatever it is that they do helps the team get to the playoffs, who cares what it is?

I voiced some concerns about taking certain positions in the 1st round, and I stand by those comments, but if they go against my thinking and make the playoffs, well, all that does is show why I'm not working for the Texans but here on these boards making crazy predictions. LOL

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009   #23
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2678 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Of course. I don't think anyone would sit back and say: "well we made the playoffs with our league leading rushing attack but I still say drafting that RB was a huge mistake. I'm not going to the playoff game at Reliant."

I think we all enjoy trying to figure out what we think the Texans should do but it's the results that we're rooting for here. It's not being trying to be right. If we're dead wrong and the Texans make the playoffs then great! We're a bunch of dolts. Woohoo!

Things I was pleasantly wrong about:
David Carr
Ephraam Salaam
Morlon Greenwood
Joel Dreesen
Charley Casserley
Duane Brown
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009   #24
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not big on body language, maybe the show "Lie to Me" has me looking for it more now, but when Rick Smith was asked about a defensive end his body language went from open to closed. Watch the video. This is not something I usually put much weight into but it was something that really jumped out at me when I watched the video. He answered the DE question with a longer answer than the other questions as well. He sounded excited about moving Smith to the inside on some plays, but honestly we don't have the personnel at this time to do that so it makes me wonder.

I do notice that during that DE conversation his arms are crossed for the majority of the time but during the rest of the interview he doesn't cross his arms at all. After the DE conversation, he has his arms down in front of him parallel to each other, but they are not crossed.

It really starts when the question "You talk about moving Antonio Smith to the inside on rushing situations, so maybe you could use another outside guy". Right after that question and when he starts to answer it he folds his arms together for the first time in the interview. He also rubs his fingers against his arm a little bit, perhaps a soothing gesture. Usually when somebody rubs their hands together or rubs a part of their body they are trying to self-sooth, perhaps calm themselves down a little bit.

Sometimes small movements and gestures can speak volumes but maybe I am looking too much into it.

Last edited by TexansSeminole; 04-23-2009 at 12:17 PM.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009   #25
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
You know, as long as whatever it is that they do helps the team get to the playoffs, who cares what it is?

I voiced some concerns about taking certain positions in the 1st round, and I stand by those comments, but if they go against my thinking and make the playoffs, well, all that does is show why I'm not working for the Texans but here on these boards making crazy predictions. LOL
Honestly, I feel the same way, Thorn. I've never been one to knee-jerk on draft day. I've just been going on vibes from the organization and past trends of the current regime.

Now if we chose a long snapper or a punter at 15..............
Old 04-23-2009   #26
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Now if we chose a long snapper or a punter at 15..............

But.....if the punter could consistently kick it out of bounds on the other teams 1 yard line from any place on the field, how much would he be worth?

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009   #27
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
I disagree, I thought he did say one definitive statement in regards to trading up. I believe he said "I don’t think that that’s going to be the case". So it's not all lies. Unless this means we're definitely trading up.

Seriously though, I think he's made it very clear over the last few years that one of his strengths as a GM is his preparedness in regards to the draft. You can see that they have a clear plan, a system, and a method for their decision making that enables them to get more for their money than alot of teams in the league do. I love how prepared Smith appears. I love the approach and it's focus on value.

Rick Smith : Good.
I thought the same thing. My fascination with jumping New Orleans to take Malcolm Jenkins just flew out the window and I can't catch back up with it.

I kinda got a strange feeling with him talking that we might end up taking one of those DE/OLB hybrid guys. Everrette Brown mabye. just a funny feeling though.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-23-2009   #28
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I kinda got a strange feeling with him talking that we might end up taking one of those DE/OLB hybrid guys. Everrette Brown mabye. just a funny feeling though.
Ya, to me it is that body language change. It really had me thinking maybe he is looking at Brown or Maybin to be available.

Check that out guys and tell me what you get out of it. Compare that body language to the rest of the interview. The big moment to look for is right when he starts to answer the question and initially crosses his arms and starts to rub his arm a little.

Last edited by TexansSeminole; 04-23-2009 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-23-2009   #29
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I hope you're right, we need that play-maker whoever he is.
I read someplace the other day that 2 of Antonio Smiths 3.5 sacks (big-deal !) he got in all of last years regular season came in a Seattle game when he was going against a resevve or injured player. Bulman did better than
Smith, and for the life of me I still don't know why we picked him up ?
But I wanta see us get somebody like Brown, Micahel jackson, English,
Barwin, Brown, whoever and be prepared to expend atleast our #2 to get him.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009   #30
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I'm not big on body language, maybe the show "Lie to Me" has me looking for it more now, but when Rick Smith was asked about a defensive end his body language went from open to closed. Watch the video. This is not something I usually put much weight into but it was something that really jumped out at me when I watched the video. He answered the DE question with a longer answer than the other questions as well. He sounded excited about moving Smith to the inside on some plays, but honestly we don't have the personnel at this time to do that so it makes me wonder.

I do notice that during that DE conversation his arms are crossed for the majority of the time but during the rest of the interview he doesn't cross his arms at all. After the DE conversation, he has his arms down in front of him parallel to each other, but they are not crossed.

It really starts when the question "You talk about moving Antonio Smith to the inside on rushing situations, so maybe you could use another outside guy". Right after that question and when he starts to answer it he folds his arms together for the first time in the interview. He also rubs his fingers against his arm a little bit, perhaps a soothing gesture. Usually when somebody rubs their hands together or rubs a part of their body they are trying to self-sooth, perhaps calm themselves down a little bit.

Sometimes small movements and gestures can speak volumes but maybe I am looking too much into it.
I thought that was the whole point?
Cjeremy635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009   #31
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjeremy635 View Post
I thought that was the whole point?
What do you mean?
Old 04-23-2009   #32
Polo

Quote:
Ya, to me it is that body language change. It really had me thinking maybe he is looking at Brown or Maybin to be available.

Check that out guys and tell me what you get out of it. Compare that body language to the rest of the interview. The big moment to look for is right when he starts to answer the question and initially crosses his arms and starts to rub his arm a little.
Maybe he is thinking about trading up for Orakpo if he is within reach; Maybe like if he fell to 11 or so......That'd be a big splash that would get people energized...I'd have no problem with that at all...
Old 04-23-2009   #33
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
Maybe he is thinking about trading up for Orakpo if he is within reach; Maybe like if he fell to 11 or so......That'd be a big splash that would get people energized...I'd have no problem with that at all...
Yea, you may be right.

What do you think about my body language observation? You guys see the same thing I am seeing?
Old 04-23-2009   #34
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yea, you may be right.

What do you think about my body language observation? You guys see the same thing I am seeing?
Where in the clip does he talk about this? I'll go back and rewatch it. But from what I remember when I watched it yesterday, I felt like he was kind of uncomfortable or trying to choose his words real carefully. He seemed to kind of skirt the issue a little and that to me made me feel like there's more to it. From what I gathered, he seemed to talk in more general terms for 'a football' team and not the Texans. It made me think that they've had a lot of discussions about the guys like Brown, Maybin, etc.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009   #35
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Of course. I don't think anyone would sit back and say: "well we made the playoffs with our league leading rushing attack but I still say drafting that RB was a huge mistake. I'm not going to the playoff game at Reliant."

I think we all enjoy trying to figure out what we think the Texans should do but it's the results that we're rooting for here. It's not being trying to be right. If we're dead wrong and the Texans make the playoffs then great! We're a bunch of dolts. Woohoo!

David Carr
Ephraam Salaam
Morlon Greenwood
Joel Dreesen
Charley Casserley
Duane Brown
Well here's hoping the Rb early talk is trying to generate interest in a move back. There will be one and only one four plus million Rb on the team....color me homer, but I'm pulling for Steve Slaton.
Old 04-23-2009   #36
Spike
Veteran

Rep Power: 20 Spike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Sounds like Justice was there. He was really dissing somebody. LOL!
Hilarious - that was the first thing that I thought when I read that line as well. This makes me like Smith even more. I think Justice has given some unecessary criticism - which I would argue, in some circumstances, borders unprofessional. It is nice to see him give a little jab back - without naming names.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009   #37
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Where in the clip does he talk about this? I'll go back and rewatch it. But from what I remember when I watched it yesterday, I felt like he was kind of uncomfortable or trying to choose his words real carefully. He seemed to kind of skirt the issue a little and that to me made me feel like there's more to it. From what I gathered, he seemed to talk in more general terms for 'a football' team and not the Texans. It made me think that they've had a lot of discussions about the guys like Brown, Maybin, etc.
It's about a third of the way through. Maybe a fourth of the way through. If you have the time I strongly suggest you watch the entire thing and pay special attention to his body language. You can't really examine a specific instance where someone changes their body language without really understanding the normal body language behaviors of the person you are examining. Rick Smith is a confident guy and he uses his hands to help illustrate what he is talking about and usually shows confident body language. That's why this jumped out at me so much, because it was a pretty big change from the body language he was showing earlier in the interview, the body language he showed later in the interview, and what he has shown prior to this interview.

It could mean different things though. He could be closing himself up because he doesn't want to say something that may show that he is leaning in that direction or he could just be feeling the pressure to pick a pass rushing type of guy and he doesn't really want to do it. My guess would go to that he just doesn't want to say something that may show he is leaning in that direction, and naturally that showed through his body language.

But hell, it could not mean anything.
Old 04-23-2009   #38
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I know exactly what Smith will do. He will select someone @#15, trade up or trade down. I never thought about that. I did notice two fingers on his left hand seemed to be crossed. I'm not sure what that body language means?
Old 04-23-2009   #39
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
Hilarious - that was the first thing that I thought when I read that line as well. This makes me like Smith even more. I think Justice has given some unecessary criticism - which I would argue, in some circumstances, borders unprofessional. It is nice to see him give a little jab back - without naming names.
Yessir, people like him give the profession a bad name. Honestly, it seems like there are more like him nowadays than there used to be.

The good thing about it is, we can choose who and what we read. I chose to no longer read anything of his over a year ago.
Old 04-23-2009   #40
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:

David Carr
Ephraam Salaam
Morlon Greenwood
Joel Dreesen
Charley Casserley
Duane Brown
who says you were wrong about him? dude gave up like 13 sacks by himself and was spelled at times by Salaam. Brown got either Sage or Schaub killed numerous times during the season. Granted, that happens with rookies but to act like Duane Brown is something special or has solidified our LT position is probably a bit of pie in the sky thinking at this point in time. Hopefully he develops into the bookend we need need him to be but right now the jury is still out even though our offense was pretty damn good last year.

He was and always will be a reach where we selected him no matter how many times the Chargers brass said they were going to draft him if we didn't. The bottom line is that Brown showed promise but to say you were wrong in criticizing the selection of Brown is probably a bit premature. Just like it would be premature to call him a bust or failure.

Face it, Rick Smith has done a lot of good things and I like him as our GM overall, but his 2 1st Round selections have not exactly lit the world on fire (okoye and brown)

I am just being realistic and practical and if Oher or Smith fall to #15 we need to think long and hard about drafting one of those guys because both of those guys are much more talented than Duane Brown ever was.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read