Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-22-2009   #1
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Rick Smith presser quotes

Our buddy Scurf has updated video and transcript...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nscurfield View Post
The video and transcript are up. Check 'em out.

We'll have a story with analysis up shortly.

Thanks,
NS
Quote:
(on if he considers drafting a situational pass rusher a luxury or a necessity) “No, I know the nature of your question because you’re looking for value, particularly where we’re picking at 15 is what you’re talking about? I think that what you try to do is, obviously the earlier in the first round, you’re looking for an impact player – a player that’s going to be a starter and is going to contribute to your team as much as possible. So that’s where you get into the debates and the discussions about how valuable is that if he is just a pass rusher – if it’s just a guy who’s just a pass rusher and not an every down player, how valuable is that? And that certainly has been a big part of the conversations and the discussions that we’ve had because you’ve got to try to figure where the guy is valued relative to how important that is on your team.
much, much more if you click the link.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009   #2
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon
Default Re: Rick Smith presser quotes

great link. its nice to hear that he has a plan and seems to have a pretty good grasp on what this team needs to take the next step.

i may be in the minority but I love the fact that he mentions Chris Brown by name as someone who could come in and be that 2nd back. He isn't counting on it but I think subtle messages like this can be just the type of message a player needs sometimes. A little pick me up, if you will. It's just letting Chris know that they still believe in him as a Texan and that the team hasn't forgot about the guy.

i liked his potrayal of Cato June as a steadying influence amongst our young LB corps and I agree with his assessment that he still has some football left in him.

i wish he would have said something more positive regarding Dunta's future, but I am sure its real sensitive right now. I think its a prudent course of action myself. yeah, dunta is pissed but he is getting paid but just doesnt have the long term security..but given his recent injury he can't expect much more. sadly, it probably means he is gone in 2010.

i can't freaking wait for the draft Saturday. I am finished calling my last baseball game at 4:00pm CST so hopefully I won't hear who we picked by the time I get to Nick's Place.
Old 04-22-2009   #3
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104642 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Sounds like Justice was there. He was really dissing somebody. LOL!
Old 04-22-2009   #4
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Smith
Everybody’s talking about the fact that we need another back with (RB) Steve (Slaton), a bigger back, a third-down back, and they forget that we’ve got a guy walking around in our building right now that could fill that role, and that’s (RB) Chris Brown
Fixed it for him....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Smith
Everybody’s talking about the fact that we need another back with (RB) Steve (Slaton), a bigger back, a third-down back, and they forget that we’ve got a guy sitting in a hot tub right now that could fill that role, and that’s (RB) Chris Brown
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009   #5
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70215 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Sounds like Justice was there. He was really dissing somebody. LOL!
Check out the video. It is kind of a strange start to a press conference.

Here's my short version of the press conference for those who don't like reading long transcripts.

Interestingly, I just saw the Redskin transcript. They had their GM talking, Owner and Coach. They didn't say much of anything but it was a mess. Makes their GM look like a no power figurehead, which is what he is.
Old 04-22-2009   #6
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Again, in preparation for draft day, that’s who we’re talking to. We’re looking at the different ways that you value picks and so we’re trying to anticipate where those opportunities may come from, what teams, and so how much movement. But on draft day as it relates to just trade value, I really pretty much rely on Chris Olsen and Brian Gardner and Bobby Grier.”

(on what Olsen, Gardner and Grier do during the draft) “Well, they field calls. I’ve got a phone in front of me; Bobby does; Chris does; (head coach) Gary (Kubiak) does. And then we get a call from a team. ‘Team A’ calls and says, ‘Hey, if our guy is there, we may want to come to your spot.’ And at that point, we look and then we’ve got to value where their spot is, where our spot is, and then what the corresponding compensation is that might be fair. And so we’re running those numbers and we’re trying to figure out what we’re going to ask for in return. And then once we figure out and get an idea of what we want, then I’ll call the general manager back and we’ll start to talk about what it will take for us to do that and move, and so that’s kind of what the process is.

“And so that’s what we’re doing now. We’re running mock drafts and so we’ll come up with, yesterday we did maybe 10 different scenarios, OK, and so we’re here and ‘Team A’ calls and wants to move to this spot and here’s what we would get and here’s who is left on the board at this particular time in this mock draft and who would be willing to do this? Who would be willing to move here? So we just practice those scenarios just to get the thought process and the actual logistics of how it works down, because it’s not like we’re predicting exactly what’s going to happen because you can’t, but if you practice the process enough, then on draft day you have that confidence that John (McClain) is talking about to execute a trade where you feel good about what you’re doing because you don’t have a lot of time on draft day to make that decision.”

I really like the fact that they practice running through trade scenarios to see if they would do a trade down or not based on different mocks. Sounds kind of like this place.

A question I wish someone would ask...

Do they use established draft value charts, and do they change each year based on the talent level/depth of the draft?

Last edited by Señor Stan; 04-22-2009 at 05:17 PM.
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009   #7
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

That was awesome, especially since I have been parched for some real Texan content since December.

It was a nice reminder that the guy is sharp and fresh, but to lead with the dig and to say he had nothing to open with for the beginning of the press conference was interesting - and had me asking myself, who called the press conference?

Really liked hearing him provide overviews on processes and then wander into philisophical draft talk.
Old 04-22-2009   #8
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
That was awesome, especially since I have been parched for some real Texan content since December.

It was a nice reminder that the guy is sharp and fresh, but to lead with the dig and to say he had nothing to open with for the beginning of the press conference was interesting - and had me asking myself, who called the press conference?
Really liked hearing him provide overviews on processes and then wander into philisophical draft talk.
Not quite 100% positive, but I think the teams are required to give some pre-draft press conference.

that said, while nothing earth-shatering there are some nuggets about the texans overall draft philosophy and what they think of the talent currently on the time.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009   #9
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Right, he didn't really tell us anything did he ? Not that anybody expected him to.
One thing makes me a little nervous though. With all of this talk aout drafting a starter - surely they wouldn't pass on a superior player for a lesser one who could start sooner ? Get the guy who's the most valuable, the guy who has the highest impact even if he dosen't start Day 1.
Nah, they wouldn't do that. Nobody wants, needs to win more than Smith & Kubiak.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009   #10
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70215 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Right, he didn't really tell us anything did he ? Not that anybody expected him to.
One thing makes me a little nervous though. With all of this talk aout drafting a starter - surely they wouldn't pass on a superior player for a lesser one who could start sooner ? Get the guy who's the most valuable, the guy who has the highest impact even if he dosen't start Day 1.
Nah, they wouldn't do that. Nobody wants, needs to win more than Smith & Kubiak.
I think some of the discussion gets into that with the situational pass rusher stuff.
Quote:
(on if he considers drafting a situational pass rusher a luxury or a necessity) “No, I know the nature of your question because you’re looking for value, particularly where we’re picking at 15 is what you’re talking about? I think that what you try to do is, obviously the earlier in the first round, you’re looking for an impact player – a player that’s going to be a starter and is going to contribute to your team as much as possible. So that’s where you get into the debates and the discussions about how valuable is that if he is just a pass rusher – if it’s just a guy who’s just a pass rusher and not an every down player, how valuable is that? And that certainly has been a big part of the conversations and the discussions that we’ve had because you’ve got to try to figure where the guy is valued relative to how important that is on your team.

"There are so many variables and factors that come into that decision. It’s not just a black-and-white issue whether you’re going to assign that certain number or a certain round that you take the guy who is just a position player versus a guy who is a specialty player, like you put it. There’s your situation with your football team and the complexion and makeup of your team as well as, ‘What is he going to do? Is he going to help you on special teams? Is he going to play 40, 45, 50 percent? If you’re going to be in a package, what is your defensive philosophy and scheme? Are you in that package more where maybe you’ve got more value on a guy like that?’ So there are all these things that you think about and talk about when you’re trying to make that decision.”
Old 04-22-2009   #11
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
I think some of the discussion gets into that with the situational pass rusher stuff.
"how valuable is that if he is just a pass rusher – if it’s just a guy who’s just a pass rusher and not an every down player, how valuable is that?"
Smiths remarks are not definitive on the issue but I'm still uncomfortable with the way he seems to be leaning ?
Obviously I'm of the opinion that an effective edge-rusher across from Mario on thirds/passing-downs is more valuable to the team than, oh I dunno say a LB, who starts early but represents no more than a marginal upgrade over the guy he replaced, if that.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009   #12
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
"how valuable is that if he is just a pass rusher – if it’s just a guy who’s just a pass rusher and not an every down player, how valuable is that?"
Smiths remarks are not definitive on the issue but I'm still uncomfortable with the way he seems to be leaning ?
Obviously I'm of the opinion that an effective edge-rusher across from Mario on thirds/passing-downs is more valuable to the team than, oh I dunno say a LB, who starts early but represents no more than a marginal upgrade over the guy he replaced, if that.
well put nunu.

i don't want either of the USC Roid Brothers...allegedly. Cushing looks like another Babin to me and Matthews is a walk-on legacy at USC who just seems like a risky pick and doesn't seem worthy of being the 15th overall pick. Yeah, I know it would be cool to have an Uncle/Son dynamic with the great Oiler Bruce Matthews and his bloodline of quality, but i'd rather look elsewhere.
Old 04-22-2009   #13
Polo

Sounds to me like Rick Smith is saying if we can't trade down for Moreno we'll stay put and take Wells at 15....
Old 04-22-2009   #14
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
i wish he would have said something more positive regarding Dunta's future, but I am sure its real sensitive right now. I think its a prudent course of action myself. yeah, dunta is pissed but he is getting paid but just doesnt have the long term security..but given his recent injury he can't expect much more. sadly, it probably means he is gone in 2010.

I don't remember seeing anyone bringing up the possibility that Dunta has actually been handed his last "jackpot" with his tag label, slimly based on the Texans hoping and chancing that he attains a certain level of play. It would not be out of the question that if he tested the market, he would have encountered true approach/avoidance by other teams, with offers adding up to much of nothing. How much value do teams besides the Texans view a player who at his best was never one of the best, who had a very severe injury, who returned to an even lesser level.........and doesn't want to share the risk of his unproven commodity? Just saying..............
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009   #15
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I don't remember seeing anyone bringing up the possibility that Dunta has actually been handed his last "jackpot" with his tag label, slimly based on the Texans hoping and chancing that he attains a certain level of play. It would not be out of the question that if he tested the market, he would have encountered true approach/avoidance by other teams, with offers adding up to much of nothing. How much value do teams besides the Texans view a player who at his best was never one of the best, who had a very severe injury, who returned to an even lesser level.........and doesn't want to share the risk of his unproven commodity? Just saying..............
Dunta would have arguably been the best corner available via FA other than Asomoghu. In other words, Dunta was going to get paid. Maybe not as much guaranteed money as he wanted due to the injury question, but he would be sitting a lot prettier than he currently is.

believe me, I ain't crying for Dunta. its a business nowadays and the Texans have been burned in the past with contracts and dead money against the salary cap. tread lightly Texans.
Old 04-23-2009   #16
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84801 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Señor Stan View Post
Fixed it for him....
more like

Quote:
originally posted by Rick Smith
lie, lie, lie, lie, lie, smile and laugh, now lie some more
You can't trust one word that comes out of any of these GM's right now.

- Edmund Burke
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009   #17
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7786 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

I disagree, I thought he did say one definitive statement in regards to trading up. I believe he said "I don’t think that that’s going to be the case". So it's not all lies. Unless this means we're definitely trading up.

Seriously though, I think he's made it very clear over the last few years that one of his strengths as a GM is his preparedness in regards to the draft. You can see that they have a clear plan, a system, and a method for their decision making that enables them to get more for their money than alot of teams in the league do. I love how prepared Smith appears. I love the approach and it's focus on value.

Rick Smith : Good.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009   #18
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 58645 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

So how many picks do we have total?
We already know based on the presser wer're getting at least 1 QB and at least 1 CB
Old 04-23-2009   #19
keyser
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19314 keyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respected

There were a few points I got out of this:
  • Texans won't be fixated on defense for the draft. Smith feels they addressed those needs in Free Agency, so 1st pick could be offense. (I'm happy to hear this, as I hope we go for OL either in the 2nd or after a trade down in the 1st.)
  • Has hope for Chris Brown to contribute, but RB was the only specific position he mentioned on when asked about glaring needs. Although he said RB was not a "glaring" need, expect us to take one (no surprise there). Thinks the RB value is in the middle rounds.
  • Seems very wary of taking a pass rushing specialist too early.
  • Seems to be thinking about trading down much more than trading up (of course, so are most other teams)
  • Is likely to take a CB at some point.
  • QB will only be in late rounds, if at all.
keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009   #20
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
So how many picks do we have total?
We already know based on the presser wer're getting at least 1 QB and at least 1 CB
8. 1 in each round with 2 in the 4th. i dont think we'll def take a qb given what he said about brink
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read