Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-22-2009   #1
RagingBull
Hall of Shame

Rep Power: 3847 RagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 2006 Draft Redo

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/30227842

Interesting. The Texans have the equivalent of 3 Top 20 draft picks from this year according to these guys. They have Mario going #2, Demeco going #6, and Daniels going #17

Thoughts?
RagingBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009   #2
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2006 Draft Redo

pretty cool. here are a couple thoughts-

would anyone trade Mario Williams for Jay Cutler? I know I wouldn't

Singletary wasn't entrenched enough yet to get his LB yet (DeMeco Ryans) had to wait one year (Patrick Willis)

Daniels to the Vikings? guess that means they're looking @ Pettigrew because they still haven't found one

you know it gets harder the later you pick but the Texans need to reproduce similar results year in year out to leap-frog the competition
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009   #3
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd take Williams > Cutler
No way would I take Vernon Davis or Leinart in round 1 in retrospect
Old 04-22-2009   #4
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 83169 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
I'd take Williams > Cutler
No way would I take Vernon Davis or Leinart in round 1 in retrospect
Vernon Davis.... now that's what you call a bust. I remember people saying he would be the next Shannon Sharpe.

Its cool to see our 06 draft get some props from a national standpoint.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009   #5
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18944 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
would anyone trade Mario Williams for Jay Cutler? I know I wouldn't
That's not really a fair question. The question should be, would you trade Mario Williams for Jay Cutler, moving up 2 spots in the 2007 first round, and your 2007 and 2008 second rounders? Because, had we drafted Cutler, the Schaub trade would have never happened.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009   #6
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd rather have a dominant DE and top 10 QB on the roster today than one of the two and a bunch of picks that might get us the other.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009   #7
Spike
Veteran

Rep Power: 20 Spike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of Famer

I remember this draft so well. This is the year I that I really switched from a casual fan, to someone who really followed the team and sought ought each news clip and article regarding the Texans.

As a fan of the organization, this was such a horrible time. We were coming off a horrendous season and I just wanted to get excited about the future. After the draft, it was hard to be anything but negative. All of the "experts" on TV and in the paper blasted the pick - Only a fool would pass up on Reggie AND Vince. Living in Austin, I would have several Dallas Cowboy fans pass by my office daily for the opportunity to give some glib remark about the team or the pick.

For me, it was never about Vince v. Reggie v. Mario - I always thought we addressed the greatest need. I always just wanted Mario to succeed - and am glad that he is now considered by all to be a solid pick.

It is an interesting time of year to think back to this time. After this weekend passes, it will be fun to come on the board and read the opinions, but there shouldn't be so much to get worked up about until all of these guys step on the field.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-22-2009   #8
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
That's not really a fair question. The question should be, would you trade Mario Williams for Jay Cutler, moving up 2 spots in the 2007 first round, and your 2007 and 2008 second rounders? Because, had we drafted Cutler, the Schaub trade would have never happened.
Mario+Schaub > Cutler and 2 2nd round picks and 3 spots.

Regaurdless of how you look at it, Cutler isnt a huge improvement over Schaub. Even though stats don't tell the whole story, theirs were very similar. Were as Mario is a total beast, and could be the best defensive player in the NFL in a year or two.
Old 04-22-2009   #9
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18944 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
Regaurdless of how you look at it, Cutler isnt a huge improvement over Schaub.
Cutler is younger, a better fit for our system, has a better arm, and has an infinitely higher ceiling. Cutler is also capable of playing 16 games in a season.

Whether Schaub and Mario are more valuable than Cutler + picks is certainly debatable. But, Cutler versus Schaub really isn't.
Old 04-22-2009   #10
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 258627 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Cutler is a type 1 diabetic. It's entirely possible his career could be cut short by that. I've known type 1 diabetics (friends and family both), and the type of physical activity that NFL players goes though can wreak havoc with controlling diabetes. Diabetes can also kill you suddenly. In the last five years I've lost two friends who've died before their time because of it. Sorry, but I'll take Schaub over Cutler because of that.

I wish Cutler all the luck in the world though. Living with diabetes and playing in the NFL he is a role model that everyone living with diabetes can look up to.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009   #11
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Cutler is a type 1 diabetic. It's entirely possible his career could be cut short by that. I've known type 1 diabetics (friends and family both), and the type of physical activity that NFL players goes though can wreak havoc with controlling diabetes. Diabetes can also kill you suddenly. In the last five years I've lost two friends who've died before their time because of it. Sorry, but I'll take Schaub over Cutler because of that.

I wish Cutler all the luck in the world though. Living with diabetes and playing in the NFL he is a role model that everyone living with diabetes can look up to.
http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/jay.cu....2.714009.html
Quote:
Denver Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler has been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes, he told CBS4's Vic Lombardi Thursday.

CBS4 medical editor Dr. Dave Hnida said Cutler may actually see improvement in his play now that he has a diagnosis and is getting treatment.

"He should look for a long and healthy [life]," Hnida said. "New things are popping up every day and the disease will one day be curable. It's just a blessing he caught this one early and I bet his advice to you would be to get screened if you have any signs or symptoms. You don't need to be an NFL quarterback to beat diabetes."

He said Cutler was managing his disease and "in no way is his football career jeopardized."

Three other notable NFL pros have played with Type 1 diabetes. Jay Leeuwenburg played for the University of Colorado Buffaloes and went on to have a 9-year NFL career. Wade Wilson, currently a quarterback coach for the Dallas Cowboys, played in the pros for 17 years. Cornerback Mike Echols of the Tennesse Titans also has the disease.

Other athletes who have competed with diabetes include Hockey Hall of Famer Bobby Clarke, Charlotte Bobcats forward Adam Morrison, golfers Scott Verplank, Michelle McGann and Kelli Kuehne and Olympic swimmer Gary Hall Jr.
Old 04-22-2009   #12
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 335478 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
Cutler is younger, a better fit for our system, has a better arm, and has an infinitely higher ceiling. Cutler is also capable of playing 16 games in a season.

Whether Schaub and Mario are more valuable than Cutler + picks is certainly debatable. But, Cutler versus Schaub really isn't.
When is the bold going to die the death it deserves? Say stronger arm all you want, but until Cutler starts completing passes downfield at a better rate than Schaub, his arm isn't better. Better is completing passes whether they look like incredibly accurate ugly duck Peyton Manning passes or not.

And yes, it really is debatable at this point.
Old 04-22-2009   #13
Bronco Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 29 Bronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Bronco Texan Send a message via Yahoo to Bronco Texan

Being both a Texans and Broncos fan I think I can justify this a little. Okay lets look at it like this. Both the QB and DE positions are really something special in this league. Teams will spend years looking for a franchise player at both. So what do we know about all three players? We know that both Cutler and Schuab both have the tools and skills to be a franchise QB, but both are not their yet. However Mario is an elite franchise DE already so he should be the constant. So if we would have drafted Cutler we would still have a question mark on if he were our franchise QB and who knows if we would have found anyone close to what Mario has given us. So the situation we are in now is better. We have our constant in Mario and our unknown, but capable Schuab. Instead of just unknown but capable Cutler.

Mario + Schaub >>> Cutler any day of the week.
Bronco Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read