Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-22-2009   #21
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 128249 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NFL Top 10 Rookies of 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
1. Matt Ryan
2. Ryan Clady
3. Matt Forte
4. Steve Slaton
5. Chris Johnson
6. Joe Flacco
7. Jake Long
8. Jarod Mayo
9. DeSean Jackson
10. Eddie Royal

That's how I would rank them.
I can agree with this. Clady should definitely be in the top 5.
Old 04-23-2009   #22
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
To be fair, I think Michael Turner's 1700 yards and 17 touchdowns helped the Falcons and Ryans a ton. No way would Ryans have been that successful without a running back workhorse like Turner
true but CJ was able to hide behind a defense that allowed just one RB to rush for 100+ yards this season. albeit they let him do it twice but still.
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009   #23
jjohns1
Rookie

Rep Power: 152 jjohns1 is a quality contributor and well respectedjjohns1 is a quality contributor and well respectedjjohns1 is a quality contributor and well respectedjjohns1 is a quality contributor and well respectedjjohns1 is a quality contributor and well respectedjjohns1 is a quality contributor and well respectedjjohns1 is a quality contributor and well respectedjjohns1 is a quality contributor and well respectedjjohns1 is a quality contributor and well respectedjjohns1 is a quality contributor and well respectedjjohns1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
1. Matt Ryan
2. Ryan Clady
3. Matt Forte
4. Steve Slaton
5. Chris Johnson
6. Joe Flacco
7. Jake Long
8. Jarod Mayo
9. DeSean Jackson
10. Eddie Royal

That's how I would rank them.
this one is better than original.
jjohns1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009   #24
Aaron
Rookie

Rep Power: 160 Aaron is a quality contributor and well respectedAaron is a quality contributor and well respectedAaron is a quality contributor and well respectedAaron is a quality contributor and well respectedAaron is a quality contributor and well respectedAaron is a quality contributor and well respectedAaron is a quality contributor and well respectedAaron is a quality contributor and well respectedAaron is a quality contributor and well respectedAaron is a quality contributor and well respectedAaron is a quality contributor and well respected

Whatever happened to Chris Long?
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009   #25
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

i think slaton should be 3rd or 4th on the list. i think the 2 qbs, especially ryan, should be above him.

imo slaton is on a par with johnson. both are electrigying. slaton gets the nod from me because he had to be more of a workhorse but its pretty close.

what i dont get is the forte love. hes a decent rb that has lived off that colts game last yr. hes nowhere near the playmaker slaton or cj are. he does everything well but nothing great

clady should be up there with ss and cj too
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009   #26
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8759 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
Whatever happened to Chris Long?
He was a 3-4 D End taken 2nd overall. Big shock the Rams pick 2nd overall again. He was'nt a very good pick.
Old 04-23-2009   #27
sakebomb
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1859 sakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respected

Ryan and Flacco have to be ahead of Slaton. Come on now. Rookie QB's who start for playoff teams have to be listed ahead of RB whose team finished 8-8.

I'd put Slaton third.
Old 04-23-2009   #28
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8759 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakebomb View Post
Ryan and Flacco have to be ahead of Slaton. Come on now. Rookie QB's who start for playoff teams have to be listed ahead of RB whose team finished 8-8.

I'd put Slaton third.
But there is room for the argument that Turner/the Baltimore defense had alot to do with those two making the change. Clady stepped in at one of the hardest positions in football and dominated. I put Steve around 5 ish.
Old 04-23-2009   #29
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Clady is the biggest error. He's way too low.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009   #30
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 357040 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakebomb View Post

I'd put Slaton third.
I'll never understand this Heisman attitude of ranking the best players based on (a) team record and (b) position. Maybe if it was the rookie MVP award but not just as best.
Old 04-23-2009   #31
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I'll never understand this Heisman attitude of ranking the best players based on (a) team record and (b) position. Maybe if it was the rookie MVP award but not just as best.
It's the old, " All the credit when you win, All the blame when you lose" mentality.
Old 04-23-2009   #32
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
1.) Steve Slaton - How many times has he bailed us out of games?
to be fair.....there is no doubt that Steve Slaton is a great back. But he has not been the lead back for a full season. And shaking the third down tag is going to take him a season, seventeen touches a game....for sixteen games, to prove it to everyone. I have no problems with the ranking.

We'll see Saturday if what Kubes said in December was true or not. He may have believed it in December when he said it. Might of changed his mind in March on second thought. Always been one guy in the Denver WCO system getting a majority of carries. They take a back Day one....the Steve Slaton comments in December were just talk. And he's decided to walk the walk in September with somebody else. There can be one , only one, four million plus RB on the roster. I'm pulling for Steve Slaton. He's convinced me.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 04-23-2009 at 02:39 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009   #33
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 357040 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
to be fair.....there is no doubt that Steve Slaton is a great back. But he has not been the lead back for a full season. And shaking the third down tag is going to take him a season, seventeen touches a game....for sixteen games, to prove it to everyone. I have no problems with the ranking.
Slaton actually had one more start than CJ. But you are right it is hard to shake the third down back tag.

Quote:
They take a back Day one....the Steve Slaton comments in December were just talk. And he's decided to walk the walk in September with somebody else. There can be one , only one, four million plus RB on the roster. I'm pulling for Steve Slaton. He's convinced me.
Not advocating this, but a mid 2nd like the Texans is going to get a contract that averages about a mil a year.
Old 04-23-2009   #34
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

And I could see them doing it.....if they wanted to be sure. But....down the road, as i posted...there can only be one. I can't see one in the first....unless they get a tremendous offer....i.e, somebody losses their mind and offers up a Rickie Williams type deal to move back.....then maybe. I don't think Slaton has three hundred carries per year in him. But I think with the right compliments on the squad he can give seventeen per game and have a nice long career....seven plus years... for us. I see no reason to rock the boat as it were. I guess I believe in chemistry more than I believe in potential.
Old 04-23-2009   #35
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He was a 3-4 D End taken 2nd overall. Big shock the Rams pick 2nd overall again. He was'nt a very good pick.
Give him some time, and when the Rams put some guys to play around him he will play much better.
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009   #36
Rush23
Rookie

Rep Power: 73 Rush23 is a quality contributor and well respectedRush23 is a quality contributor and well respectedRush23 is a quality contributor and well respectedRush23 is a quality contributor and well respectedRush23 is a quality contributor and well respectedRush23 is a quality contributor and well respectedRush23 is a quality contributor and well respectedRush23 is a quality contributor and well respectedRush23 is a quality contributor and well respectedRush23 is a quality contributor and well respectedRush23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Ryan, Forte, and Slaton all come to mind
Rush23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009   #37
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 269943 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

These guys all did good and lists are all just mental masturbation anyway.
Old 04-23-2009   #38
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39337 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Matt Ryan not number one total over look IMO. Steve and Matt Forte should higher up on that list than CJ. Unreal.
Old 04-23-2009   #39
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frak The Jags View Post
List is crap, in my opinion...

I would have Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco AND Steve Slaton before Chris Johnson.

But thats just me...
I like Joe Flacco better than Matt Ryan tbh

Matt had more talents around him than Joe did.
And plus Joe won 2 playoff games, Matt didn't.
Old 04-23-2009   #40
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Give him some time, and when the Rams put some guys to play around him he will play much better.
2nd overall for a 3-4 end when you run a 4-3 isn't a good idea. I think he'll be an ok player, but he wasn't the wisest pick for that team. As long as the guys arond him are 4 lb's, another end, and a nose, they will be fine. He's playing out of position.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read