Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-21-2009   #1
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce

Rep Power: 4281 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected
Default NFL Top 10 Rookies of 2008

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80fe75cc

Guess where Steve Slaton ends up. Do you think this is right, or maybe he deserves to be higher on the list?

Discuss.
Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009   #2
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 58645 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NFL Top 10 Rookies of 2008

I like their rankings, but think Chris Johnson should be a lot lower. How is he 1st when Slaton had more rushing yards and receiving yards than he did?

I think the tackles got rated too low also

I'd probably rate them:

Matt Ryan
Matt Forte
Steve Slaton
Jarod Mayo
Ryan Clady
Chris Johnson
Joe Thomas
Eddie Royal
Joe Flacco
DeSean Jackson

i don't remember who i left off
Old 04-21-2009   #3
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1518 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

List is crap, in my opinion...

I would have Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco AND Steve Slaton before Chris Johnson.

But thats just me...
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009   #4
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

What's the list? I can't view this video.
Old 04-21-2009   #5
TexansMVP
Probowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
What's the list? I can't view this video.
1. Chris Johnson
2. Matt Ryan
3. Joe Flacco
4. Matt Forte
5. Eddie Royal
6. Steve Slaton
7. Jarod Mayo
8. Ryan Clady
9. Jake Long
10. DeSean Jackson

Last edited by TexansMVP; 04-22-2009 at 09:06 AM.
TexansMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009   #6
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Nitro,

Chris Johnson 1
Matt Ryan 2
Joe Flacco 3
Matt Forte 4
Eddie Royal 5
Steve Slaton 6
Jarod Mayo 7
Ryan Clady 8
Jake Long 9
DeSean Jackson 10
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009   #7
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17176 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansMVP View Post
1. Chris Johnson
2. Matt Ryan
3. Joe Flacco
4. Matt Forte
5. Eddie Royal
6. Steve Slaton
7. Jarod Mayo
8. Ryan Clady
9. Joe Thomas
10. DeSean Jackson
Joe Thomas was 2007. I'm thinking it should be Jake Long in there. I like seeing a 3rd round pick in there with all those 1st rounders. Nice steal with Slaton.
Old 04-21-2009   #8
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

what i'm wondering about is the guy that claims that Johnson should've been the ROY. wait... he split carries... he didn't lead rookies in rushing yards OR total yards OR receiving yards and he didn't lead the third worse team in the league last year to the playoffs this year like Ryan did. thats mother ********** bullshit my friend.
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009   #9
TexanAddict
Texan 'til I Die

Rep Power: 77 TexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respected

Forte I can see ahead of Slaton, but Chris Johnson being ahead (and by a large margin) is total BS! I would be OK if the rest of the list was the same, except you wedge Johnson between Slaton and Mayo.
TexanAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009   #10
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81923 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Have no idea how Royal and Flacco are above Slaton. They both had good season's, but didn't Slaton finish 6th in the entire NFL in rushing yds and he only started 12 games!?

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009   #11
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's my top ten...

1.) Steve Slaton - How many times has he bailed us out of games?

2.) Matt Forte - After parting ways with Cedric Benson, the Bears got a better one for much cheaper.

3.) Matt Ryan - Great year with the Falcons and led them to the playoffs.

4.) Jake Long - Anchored there offensive line allowing them to run the Wildcat and make sure Pennington remained on his feet.

5.) Joe Flacco - Led them to 2 playoff wins.

6.) Chris Johnson - Blazing speed and earned a Pro Bowl (I think)

7.) Eddie Royal - Spectacular year receiving and had a bunch of recs.

8.) Jerod Mayo - Good future LB who stepped it up.

9.) DeSean Jackson - Aside from the bonehead play where he dropped the ball, great WR.

10.) Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie - CB who played a big role for the Cards.

*Honorable mention ~ Ryan Clady*
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009   #12
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3rm0nt3r View Post
what i'm wondering about is the guy that claims that Johnson should've been the ROY. wait... he split carries... he didn't lead rookies in rushing yards OR total yards OR receiving yards and he didn't lead the third worse team in the league last year to the playoffs this year like Ryan did. thats mother ********** bullshit my friend.
Johnson transformed that offense. It's amazing how different the meatballs are with him in the backfield. Take him out for any stretch of games and they are a plodding team with a weak wr corp and guys not quite Frank Wycheck and not quite Steve McNair and not quite Eddie George running Heimerdinger's run-N-chunk to the TE offense. This is a chump offense without him. I remember sitting at the Titans game last year and remarking to the guy next to me that everyone thought the Titans were going to pick a WR in the draft but shocked most fans and pundits by taking Johnson. The pick was mocked till he started to play. No wr would have injected what he brought to the table in that offense. It's amazing what one outstanding RB can do for an otherwise mediocre offense.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009   #13
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Johnson transformed that offense. It's amazing how different the meatballs are with him in the backfield. Take him out for any stretch of games and they are a plodding team with a weak wr corp and guys not quite Frank Wycheck and not quite Steve McNair and not quite Eddie George running Heimerdinger's run-N-chunk to the TE offense. This is a chump offense without him. I remember sitting at the Titans game last year and remarking to the guy next to me that everyone thought the Titans were going to pick a WR in the draft but shocked most fans and pundits by taking Johnson. The pick was mocked till he started to play. No wr would have injected what he brought to the table in that offense. It's amazing what one outstanding RB can do for an otherwise mediocre offense.
Yep he transformed their offense into a power running game into a speed one. Nothing loike Matt Ryan did for the Falcons.

Anyone who is not on board with him as ROY is drinking heavier stuff than Patron.
Old 04-22-2009   #14
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Yep he transformed their offense into a power running game into a speed one. Nothing loike Matt Ryan did for the Falcons.

Anyone who is not on board with him as ROY is drinking heavier stuff than Patron.
I never said that my preference is Johnson over Ryan for the rookie of the year award, but I obviously disagree with the notion that since Johnson split carries with White, and didn't lead the rookies in rushing that his season wasn't very credible.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009   #15
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I dunno was anybody else in that group taken as late as Slaton ?
Being a third-round pick likely makes Slaton the best value in last years Draft ? It also gives the Texans more latitude in picking the "companion-back" for Slaton this year. I mean don't get me wrong I don't expect the Texans to take a back in the first-round this year, but since they have such a relatively modest investment in Stevie-Wonder the Texans are freer to make a bolder move in the Draft at running-back.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009   #16
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 58645 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I do think Slaton was the best value, but if we're just going on top 10 rookies, I don't think he'd be #1. Forte completely carried that Bears team offense and Ryan took a complete mess of a team to the playoffs
Old 04-22-2009   #17
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

1. Matt Ryan
2. Ryan Clady
3. Matt Forte
4. Steve Slaton
5. Chris Johnson
6. Joe Flacco
7. Jake Long
8. Jarod Mayo
9. DeSean Jackson
10. Eddie Royal

That's how I would rank them.
Old 04-22-2009   #18
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post

Johnson transformed the offense i'll give you that. he also was able to ride his defense to the playoffs while Ryan took a team that drafted 3rd the year before, put them on his back, and got to the wild card.
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009   #19
TexansMVP
Probowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBacker93 View Post
Joe Thomas was 2007. I'm thinking it should be Jake Long in there. I like seeing a 3rd round pick in there with all those 1st rounders. Nice steal with Slaton.
My fault. Good catch.
TexansMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009   #20
gtexan02
Working?

Quote:
Johnson transformed the offense i'll give you that. he also was able to ride his defense to the playoffs while Ryan took a team that drafted 3rd the year before, put them on his back, and got to the wild card.
To be fair, I think Michael Turner's 1700 yards and 17 touchdowns helped the Falcons and Ryans a ton. No way would Ryans have been that successful without a running back workhorse like Turner

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read