Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 04-20-2009   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Matt Millen lands yet another plum gig

Quote:
As Tony Kornheiser's continued presence on Monday Night Football so clearly demonstrates, ESPN absolutely does not care if you like or dislike the people they employ to analyze professional football.

So go ahead, Lions fans. Complain that franchise-wrecker Matt Millen's landed another high profile job as a football analyst, this time at ESPN. They won't mind a bit.

In fact, they've put together a brilliant little strategy to deflect potential criticism for hiring Millen: They've given him Emmitt Smith's old job on the Monday Night Football set. So if anyone complains, they can always just say, "Fine, you want Emmitt back?" And that should quiet people down.

Predictably, NBC took a bit of a beating when they hired Millen to do a little Super Bowl work for them early this year. Millen soldiered through it, though, and did what I thought was some decent work. I expect he'll do the same in his new studio gig at ESPN.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shu...urn=nfl,157534
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009   #2
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77616 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Matt Millen lands yet another plum gig

I think it's simply amazing that Millen, the architect of the NFL's worst team ever, and Mike Milbury, architect of the two most lopsided deals in NHL history, were both deemed in demand by major sports networks.

Needless to say, when Millen has any analysis, I will turn the channel.

Follow me @blakegk on twitter...the entertainment never stops...
toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009   #3
Spled
All Pro

Rep Power: 51 Spled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respected

In Millen's defense, most everybody had Charles Rogers rated over Andre Johnson when the Lions drafted him and his pick of Roy Williams will benefit the Lions in the upcoming draft. If I remember right, Kiper had Mike Williams rated #1 overall for the draft where the Lions took him. That's not something Kiper puts on the highlight reel.
Spled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009   #4
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

The best thing that happened to us was that Millen had a pick before Casserly did or the shoe would have been on the other foot.

Millen isn't bad in the booth (that's how he got the Lion's gig) and is a much better talking about the game than he is running a franchise. I know I'm being Mr. Obvious here.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009   #5
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14190 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I want to see that website that makes fun of Emmit just to see what good ol' Emmit's take on this is.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009   #6
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Matt Millen's drafts looked great in terms of draft grades. He always graded out highly. It was only in retrospect did you see that his picks were horrible and based solely on "analysts" rather than actual scouting. He'll fit in well with the group who think they know what they are talking about
Old 04-21-2009   #7
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
The best thing that happened to us was that Millen had a pick before Casserly did or the shoe would have been on the other foot.

Millen isn't bad in the booth (that's how he got the Lion's gig) and is a much better talking about the game than he is running a franchise. I know I'm being Mr. Obvious here.
I agree. I find it funny how so many people blast off on Millen like he can't be a good broadcaster. Being an analyst and broadcaster has nothing to do with being a GM of a football team. I don't think all of Millen's picks were bad at all on the forefront. THey just ended up being that way.

Rogers was a good pick and was a no brainer at the time. Him getting injured right away had nothing to do with Millen. He wasn't the coach. He just drafted a talented WR just like AJ was. And then he drafted Roy Williams who was just like AJ when he was drafted because after Rogers being hut they still needed a target for Harrington. ROy was sort of a bust as well, and hell Harrington was the QB over there who the Texans almost drafted as well.

Millen did a horrible job as a GM no question, but all of his drafts weren't bad draft picks.

The guy was an excellent player for the Raiders and the 49ers and knows the game very well. He'll be fine as a braodcaster.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-21-2009   #8
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I agree. He was decent on camera. His discombobulation of the Lions will definitely hinder the viewers perception of him though.
Old 04-21-2009   #9
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I agree. I find it funny how so many people blast off on Millen like he can't be a good broadcaster. Being an analyst and broadcaster has nothing to do with being a GM of a football team. I don't think all of Millen's picks were bad at all on the forefront. THey just ended up being that way.

Rogers was a good pick and was a no brainer at the time. Him getting injured right away had nothing to do with Millen. He wasn't the coach. He just drafted a talented WR just like AJ was. And then he drafted Roy Williams who was just like AJ when he was drafted because after Rogers being hut they still needed a target for Harrington. ROy was sort of a bust as well, and hell Harrington was the QB over there who the Texans almost drafted as well.

Millen did a horrible job as a GM no question, but all of his drafts weren't bad draft picks.

The guy was an excellent player for the Raiders and the 49ers and knows the game very well. He'll be fine as a braodcaster.
I disagree. My problem is one of credibility.

It's one thing to hear a blowhard like Kornheiser and know he's just a commentator, but another thing get a take from a guy whose football analytical ability was put to the ultimate test as a GM. Not only did he fail at that he failed epically.

http://www.detroitlions.com/document...cont_id=100095

You're only mentioning first round talent but fail to mention he bombed the rest of each draft. If you're not going to be a player in FA you've got to develop your own talent and each coaching staff HE picked failed. Not to mention how he'd go after players in public like the slur at then one of the better players on his team Johnnie Morton.

Meet the Nfl's version of this guy:
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009   #10
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72205 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Controversy creates cash right?...

People will watch. That's all they care about.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009   #11
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
I disagree. My problem is one of credibility.

It's one thing to hear a blowhard like Kornheiser and know he's just a commentator, but another thing get a take from a guy whose football analytical ability was put to the ultimate test as a GM. Not only did he fail at that he failed epically.
And so did Casserly who did real well in Washington for years, and Casserly failed just as bad as Millen did so a successful GM could turn around and have some bad luck with draft picks and do just as bad.

Quote:
You're only mentioning first round talent but fail to mention he bombed the rest of each draft. If you're not going to be a player in FA you've got to develop your own talent and each coaching staff HE picked failed.
Well Mariiuchi was a good coach in San Fran and wasn't a bad choice in my opinion. It just didn't work out well.

Quote:
Not to mention how he'd go after players in public like the slur at then one of the better players on his team Johnnie Morton.
He did that once, and Morton was no longer on the team. Morton was on another team and Morton started up with Millen in the hallway, and Millen responded. He shouldn't have said what he said, but Morton was never that good of a player any way.

Quote:
Meet the Nfl's version of this guy:

If I want to listen to a broadcaster, I want to listen to a guy that speaks well and talks about the game and the different situations in and around the game. All the GM does is make decisions on personel. He drafted some nice talent over in Detroit but none of the coaches did that well with the personell that they had. I like Millen a lot as a broadcaster, but just not as a GM.

The biggest problem the Lions have had under Millen was the same problem tons of teams have had, and it's not having a QB. Harrington stunk it up and so did the WR's that Harrington was able to work with other than Roy Williams who still wasn't what they drafted him to be. THe biggest problem Millen made was not making Detroit a defensive minded team since they had a poor QB. That is about the only way you can win with a bad QB, is to have a good running game and really good defense. Millen kept drafting WR's and offensive players that didn't work out. Calvin Johnson was a great pick for them though.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009   #12
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1065 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected

People - Casserly has a job as an analyst on Path to the Draft!

I don't see why it's such a surprise that Millen landed a job as a commentator. To be honest, Millen does a damn fine job as a commentator. Always has.
Old 04-21-2009   #13
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14190 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

He was a pretty good player on the 49ers too.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009   #14
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

This year i wouldnt even turn to CBS until right before since that A$$hat Casserly would be on......

I still dont think i've forgiven him for trading up to get Babin.......

Old 04-21-2009   #15
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipTraxx View Post
This year i wouldnt even turn to CBS until right before since that A$$hat Casserly would be on......

I still dont think i've forgiven him for trading up to get Babin.......

Same here, but he did give us a going-away-forever-present...OD, Mario, DeMeco.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009   #16
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Charley Casserly and Matt Milen should call a game together.
Old 04-21-2009   #17
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan JBZ View Post
People - Casserly has a job as an analyst on Path to the Draft!

I don't see why it's such a surprise that Millen landed a job as a commentator. To be honest, Millen does a damn fine job as a commentator. Always has.
Millen would have easily become John Madden's replacement, but now with the mess he left in Detroit...it's going to be an uphill battle to overcome public perception of his previous failures.

Madden had success before becoming a broadcaster, which gave him credibility behind the microphone and camera.

I'll tell you who I think could take over Madden's spot: Mike Golic. He has credibility as a player, and has a great sense of humor. He isn't afraid to laugh at himself, and he's good at keeping things simple and to the point. Collinsworth just goes on and on and on and on, lecturing and laboring a point to death.

But Golic? He's got the goods, IMO.
Old 04-21-2009   #18
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Millen would have easily become John Madden's replacement, but now with the mess he left in Detroit...it's going to be an uphill battle to overcome public perception of his previous failures.

Madden had success before becoming a broadcaster, which gave him credibility behind the microphone and camera.

I'll tell you who I think could take over Madden's spot: Mike Golic. He has credibility as a player, and has a great sense of humor. He isn't afraid to laugh at himself, and he's good at keeping things simple and to the point. Collinsworth just goes on and on and on and on, lecturing and laboring a point to death.

But Golic? He's got the goods, IMO.
all that stuff about how you need to be a good football player or Coach or GM to be a good commentator is wacky logic at best. I could use a billion and a half examples but using familiar names off the top of my head Mooch was not a great HC but he is a hell of a good commentator, Andre Ware was a lousy NFL QB but he really does a fine job with his Texans color. Spencer Tillman was no better than a journeyman but he went on to a long career in TV as did Gifford Neilson. I could go on and on and I could probably mention that some of the best TV or radio analysts/play by play/color commentators have never even played the game or coached the game at it's very highest levels.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009   #19
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
And so did Casserly who did real well in Washington for years, and Casserly failed just as bad as Millen did so a successful GM could turn around and have some bad luck with draft picks and do just as bad.

Well Mariiuchi was a good coach in San Fran and wasn't a bad choice in my opinion. It just didn't work out well.

He did that once, and Morton was no longer on the team. Morton was on another team and Morton started up with Millen in the hallway, and Millen responded. He shouldn't have said what he said, but Morton was never that good of a player any way.

If I want to listen to a broadcaster, I want to listen to a guy that speaks well and talks about the game and the different situations in and around the game. All the GM does is make decisions on personel. He drafted some nice talent over in Detroit but none of the coaches did that well with the personell that they had. I like Millen a lot as a broadcaster, but just not as a GM.

The biggest problem the Lions have had under Millen was the same problem tons of teams have had, and it's not having a QB. Harrington stunk it up and so did the WR's that Harrington was able to work with other than Roy Williams who still wasn't what they drafted him to be. THe biggest problem Millen made was not making Detroit a defensive minded team since they had a poor QB. That is about the only way you can win with a bad QB, is to have a good running game and really good defense. Millen kept drafting WR's and offensive players that didn't work out. Calvin Johnson was a great pick for them though.
If Casserly shouldn't get credit for picking Mario Williams(which he shouldn't) I can't credit Matt Millen for making a no brainer pick in Calvin Johnson.

I guess we disagree. He might be a good broadcaster I just don't see how much credibility I can find in a guy who had the worst GM record over his tenure in the history of the NFL and whose team earned the distinction of the first 0-16 record as well. I would think his best credibility would be doing broadcast games of the Lions and explaining to people why the team sucks so much.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009   #20
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
all that stuff about how you need to be a good football player or Coach or GM to be a good commentator is wacky logic at best. I could use a billion and a half examples but using familiar names off the top of my head Mooch was not a great HC but he is a hell of a good commentator, Andre Ware was a lousy NFL QB but he really does a fine job with his Texans color. Spencer Tillman was no better than a journeyman but he went on to a long career in TV as did Gifford Neilson. I could go on and on and I could probably mention that some of the best TV or radio analysts/play by play/color commentators have never even played the game or coached the game at it's very highest levels.
I'm talking about filling the void left by Madden (I probably should have worded my previous post a bit better). Continuing his legacy. I know the guy's not God or anything...but he was in a league all by himself. There were times when I know I was a lot less interested in the game on the field than I was in how John was going to phrase something, or analyze what he saw on the filed, or tell a story.

Obviously, not every "good" commentator is a former player or coach. But I think Golic is a guy similar to John: He has funny things to say, he's able to laugh at himself, pretty down-to-earth, a guy's guy, etc.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read