Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-20-2009   #1
BOLIO
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 BOLIO was voted MVPBOLIO was voted MVPBOLIO was voted MVP
Default Except AJ....is this the worst draft ever??????

2003 " Ya know, the Good Old Days were not really that good!"

I remember being very excited about AJ (as I should have been).
Dang. The only other player that produced was Davis. We could not afford drafts like this in our early stages of our franchise.

Round/Pick Player Position College
1/3 Andre Johnson Wide receiver Miami (FL)
2/41 (from New England) Bennie Joppru Tight end Michigan
2/0 (Supplemental Draft) Tony Hollings Running back Georgia Tech
3/67 Antwan Peek Linebacker Cincinnati
3/75 (from New England) Seth Wand Offensive tackle NW Missouri State
3/88 (from Atlanta) Dave Ragone Quarterback Louisville
4/101 Domanick Davis Running back LSU
6/192 Drew Henson Quarterback Michigan
6/214 Keith Wright Defensive tackle Missouri
7/217 Curry Burns Safety Louisville
7/233 Chance Pearce Center Texas A&M

What made it worse was we followed it up the next year with:

1/10 Dunta Robinson Cornerback South Carolina
1/27 (from Tennessee) Jason Babin Defensive end Western Michigan
4/122 (from Indianapolis) Glenn Earl Safety Notre Dame
6/170 Vontez Duff Cornerback Notre Dame
6/175 (from Jacksonville) Jammal Lord Running back Nebraska
7/210 Raheem Orr Linebacker Rutgers
7/211 Sloan Thomas Wide receiver Texas
7/248 B.J. Symons Quarterback Texas Tech

No wonder we were drafting first again. What was our front office thinking????
BOLIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009   #2
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Except AJ....is this the worst draft ever??????

That really should be except AJ and DD. Running your knee out for the team shouldn't detract from your contribution and no offense to AJ (mainly because of HWWNBN), but for DD we probably lose around 10 more games during his tenure.
Old 04-20-2009   #3
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd say 2004 was the worst draft we had... but '03 and '04 are close.

2003 we got Andre (best WR in the league), Peek (okay i'm reaching but he had like 6 sacks in '05!), Wand (maybe I'm reaching but he was alright and started a decent bit), Davis-Williams who was just about a thousand yard rusher each year... and Drew Henson (6th round pick we later traded for a 3rd rounder).

In 2004 we got Dunta Robinson who has been great for our team... but Andre > Dunta. The trade for Babin is what makes this draft so horrible. Glenn Earl while not that great was a solid contributor for the team. And Charlie Anderson- I was a huge fan of his... mostly special teams guy which gets overlooked.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009   #4
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

1/3 Andre Johnson WR Miami (FL) - Awesome
2/41 (from New England) Bennie Joppru TE Michigan - Sad story
2/0 (Supplemental Draft) Tony Hollings RB Georgia Tech - Ouch
3/67 Antwan Peek LB Cincinnati - Meh
3/75 (from New England) Seth Wand OT NW Missouri State - Ouch
3/88 (from Atlanta) Dave Ragone QB Louisville - Ouch Ouch
4/101 Domanick Davis RB LSU - Hell of a value for a 4th rd pick
6/192 Drew Henson QB Michigan - Essentially a 03 6th for a 05 3rd.
6/214 Keith Wright DT Missouri - Who? Apparently our DT woes predate our 1st round selections
7/217 Curry Burns S Louisville - zzzzzz - hey, he is the half brother of Elvis Dumervil. A Denver connection that predates Kubes!
7/233 Chance Pearce C Texas A&M - zzzzz

1/10 Dunta Robinson CB South Carolina - Others available at that pick: Ben Roethlisberger, Jonathan Vilma, Tommie Harris, Steven Jackson....
1/27 (from Tennessee) Jason Babin DE Western Michigan - *vomits on keyboard*
4/122 (from Indianapolis) Glenn Earl Safety Notre Dame - meh
6/170 Vontez Duff CB Notre Dame - ouch - Jacques Reeves still available. Dexter Wynn, too
6/175 (from Jacksonville) Jammal Lord RB Nebraska - ouch ouch. Shane Olivea and Patrick Crayton still available here.
7/210 Raheem Orr LB Rutgers - ouch ouch ouch - Wes Welker undrafted and available.
7/211 Sloan Thomas WR Texas - OUCH! Willie Parker still out there
7/248 B.J. Symons QB Texas Tech - HAAHAHAHAHA! At least we were smart enough to pass on Bradlee Van Pelt (who Denver took with the next pick!)

Old 04-20-2009   #5
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1284 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

You should add 2005 in right after it: Travis Johnson, Vernand Morency, Jerome Mathis, Drew Hodgdon, CC Brown and Kenneth Pettway. We came out of that draft with a one-year-wonder kick returner and one of the most hated players in Texans' history. Well played.

Frankly, I think the 2003 draft was the best one we had had from 2003 to 2005. AJ is AJ; DDW was a great pick in the fourth round; Peek was semi-useful; and Casserly's avowed plan to use a late-round pick on Henson in hopes of later trading him panned out when the Cowboys coughed up a third in 2005 for him (which we promptly blew on Morency). Joppru was bad luck.

A team in its second year needed far more than what we got in 2003. But 2003 was a freaking gold mine compared to what we drafted the next two years (apologies to Dunta).
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009   #6
BOLIO
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 BOLIO was voted MVPBOLIO was voted MVPBOLIO was voted MVP

When I see CC on the NFL network, I think about some of the stuff he pulled here. How does that guy pull that gig out of his hat? I guess people around the country still think of what he did before arriving to Houston????

I will give him the same credit for the 06 draft.... as I give him the blame for these drafts. But, Kubes may have been more of a driving force than most HCs vs the GM, due to CC being a "lame duck". I don't know. But with drafts like 03-05, it is a wonder we won as many as we did......The last three drafts have been much better IMHO. What was missing with the last three drafts? CCs future with the club.

Here is to the next three being more like the last three drafts!!!!
BOLIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009   #7
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I wasn't the biggest Texan fan in those times, I caught a few games and went to 1 but looking back...I've never even heard of Vontez Duff or any of that draft after him so 04 has to be the worst.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-20-2009   #8
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125033 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
That really should be except AJ and DD. Running your knee out for the team shouldn't detract from your contribution and no offense to AJ (mainly because of HWWNBN), but for DD we probably lose around 10 more games during his tenure.
Good point and I was going to say the same thing Icak, but I don't know about 10 games. You have to remember that we were struggling just to win like 5 at the time. Lol!

I always thought DD's most impressive year was the season we went 2-14, because I was amazed at how he managed to get 1,000 yards with that horrible O line. DD was the freaking man.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009   #9
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

We passed on Jason Witten for Bennie Joppru. As an SEC fan I remember wondering what Joppru had over Witten...
Old 04-20-2009   #10
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 21910 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

i can't remember anything before 06
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009   #11
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 18298 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
We passed on Jason Witten for Bennie Joppru. As an SEC fan I remember wondering what Joppru had over Witten...
Joppru was a stud at Michigan and an excellent blocker, he was plagued with injuries therefore unable to reach his potential.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009   #12
TexanAddict
Texan 'til I Die

Rep Power: 77 TexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the main problem with those early drafts was taking fliers on project players, instead of guys with a proven track record in college. For example:

Tony Hollings - Gave up a 2nd for a player that had converted to RB from DB and played a whopping total of 4 games before suffering a serious injury. Dumb.

Antwan Peek - Very athletic, but coming from a smaller conference and making a position change. I know most outside LBs in the 3-4 are DEs in college, but it seemed like a lot to ask in this case.

Dave Ragone - Not a project, but with HWWNBN and Tony Banks already at QB, the 3rd seems early to make a luxury pick on who they had to hope would be nothing more than a backup QB.

Drew Henson - Gambled that he would quit playing baseball and come back to football. He did and the Texans were able to trade him for a 3rd. But, the Texans with the holes they had at the time did not have the luxury to take such risks

Jason Babin - Traded a ridiculous number of picks to a division rival to pick another small school product being asked to make a position change.

Glenn Earl - Player coming of a knee injury and surgery

Jammal Lord - College QB asked to make a position switch to S

Far too many risks for a team that did not have that much room for error.

Last edited by TexanAddict; 04-20-2009 at 10:52 PM.
TexanAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009   #13
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
Joppru was a stud at Michigan and an excellent blocker, he was plagued with injuries therefore unable to reach his potential.
Joppru was plagued by injuries only after entering the NFL as I recall ?
What an unlucky guy. I dunno, he's probably out of the league by now ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009   #14
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Good Lord, those are some ugly drafts. Looking at them right now I can't believe how bad they were.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009   #15
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

What shocked me was the number of impact players that were still on the board. I know that hindsight is 20/20, but dammit, couldn't we hit on one or two talented players?
Old 04-21-2009   #16
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Damn, I forgot I blocked all that out......a couple of horrible drafts righ there, need. Amazing we are just now overcoming those setbacks.
Old 04-21-2009   #17
TexansFan33
DW33

Rep Power: 8 TexansFan33 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexansFan33 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOLIO View Post
2003 " Ya know, the Good Old Days were not really that good!"

I remember being very excited about AJ (as I should have been).
Dang. The only other player that produced was Davis. We could not afford drafts like this in our early stages of our franchise.

Besides AJ and Dunta who were 1st rounders, everyone else on this list was a BUST!

2/41 (from New England) Bennie Joppru Tight end Michigan
2/0 (Supplemental Draft) Tony Hollings Running back Georgia Tech
3/67 Antwan Peek Linebacker Cincinnati
3/75 (from New England) Seth Wand Offensive tackle NW Missouri State
3/88 (from Atlanta) Dave Ragone Quarterback Louisville
4/101 Domanick Davis Running back LSU
6/192 Drew Henson Quarterback Michigan
6/214 Keith Wright Defensive tackle Missouri
7/217 Curry Burns Safety Louisville
7/233 Chance Pearce Center Texas A&M
What made it worse was we followed it up the next year with:

1/27 (from Tennessee) Jason Babin Defensive end Western Michigan
4/122 (from Indianapolis) Glenn Earl Safety Notre Dame
6/170 Vontez Duff Cornerback Notre Dame
6/175 (from Jacksonville) Jammal Lord Running back Nebraska
7/210 Raheem Orr Linebacker Rutgers
7/211 Sloan Thomas Wide receiver Texas
7/248 B.J. Symons Quarterback Texas Tech

No wonder we were drafting first again. What was our front office thinking????
Man both those drafts were atrocious, pretty much sums up Casserly's horrible decision making I cant believe Casserly still has a job on NFL Network a talent evaluator....
Old 04-21-2009   #18
TigerV1
All Pro

Rep Power: 91 TigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
Damn, I forgot I blocked all that out......a couple of horrible drafts righ there, need. Amazing we are just now overcoming those setbacks.
So here's to a (hopefully) GREAT '09 Draft!!!
Old 04-21-2009   #19
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 150044 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

The Ragone pick was awesome!

I've yet to figure out what we were thinking with that gem.
Old 04-21-2009   #20
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

All in all. Wow. But hey Casserly gets the ok with the media because of Mario pick without looking at the complete garbage job he did before the 2006 draft.

The only thing that makes me feel better is this :

http://www.detroitlions.com/document...cont_id=100095
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read