Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 04-20-2009   #1
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default VY prepared to coast

Vince Young Plans To Shut Up, Get Paid
Posted by Mike Florio on April 20, 2009, 9:15 a.m.

Titans quarterback Vince Young is supposed to be entering his prime. As the fourth season of his NFL career approaches, the third overall pick in the 2006 draft should be preparing to try to take a talented Titans team to the first NFL title in franchise history.

Instead, he’s scheduled to ride the pine.

Even more troubling than that, in our view, is the fact that he seems to be OK with it.

“I am just going to keep my mouth closed, man,” Young said Sunday night, according to Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean. “All I am doing this year is shutting up, just shutting up and working. I am going to smile and shut up and continue being Vince Young, a happy smiling guy. I am not going to get into the hoopla any more because of the fact I can’t win any more, I see.”

He says he’s not upset with starter Kerry Collins for taking the job that, a year ago, Young held.

“I don’t have nothing against Kerry,” Young said (which of course technically means that Young does have something against Collins). “Kerry is just doing his job and that is the same thing I want to do, take care of my job and wait for my turn when they call me.”

Young doesn’t know when his turn will come.

“I haven’t the slightest idea,” he said. “I am just leaving that to other people and trying to get myself in shape and get myself ready. I do know I am healthy and my body feels great and it’s been a long time since I’ve felt that way.”

In the meantime, he’ll just keep smiling — and getting paid.

“Whatever they want me to do that is what I am going to do,” Young said. “If they want me to sit on the sideline and be there to watch the game then that is OK with me, but at the same time I am getting my checks and I am fine.’’

Those checks will be worth $126,470 each, which constitute 17 installments of a $2.15 million base salary.

But this arrangement can’t go on for much longer. Next year, those checks will grow to more than $440,000 each, as part of a $7.5 million base salary.

In our view, it’s about more than the money. It’s about a burning desire not only to play, but also to excel. In our view, Young seems to have resigned himself to the fact that he’s not going to dominate at the NFL level.

And so he appears content to coast, which at last check wasn’t one of the ingredients for a high-end NFL quarterback.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

I'm loving Mario more and more every day.
Old 04-20-2009   #2
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 72911 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: VY prepared to coast

And Mr. Wonderlic smiles quietly and says "I told you so"
Old 04-20-2009   #3
gwallaia

Rep Power: 82734 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

If Vince stays quiet, it will be the smartest thing he's ever said.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009   #4
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not sure what to take from that. Part of me thinks that people can't read too much into it and that basically he is saying he isn't going to be a team cancer and that he will work hard and not complain. Good idea. But when the money issue was mentioned it made me think that he didn't care because there was a paycheck at the end of the day.
Old 04-20-2009   #5
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow. What a crappy thing to do to VY. He says hes going to shut up and work hard, and Florio spins the entire article to sound like he doesn't deserve his paychecks...
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009   #6
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
If Vince stays quiet, it will be the smartest thing he's ever said.
I don't know if he can win at this point. He might as well stay quiet (but if you picked a QB at no. 3 you might at least want him to express a desire to start!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Wow. What a crappy thing to do to VY. He says hes going to shut up and work hard, and Florio spins the entire article to sound like he doesn't deserve his paychecks...
Florio did spin it some. I saw the same blurb on Ben Maller's rumor page over at Fox Sports and it had a little different feel to it. That said, I'd still want my QB to express a desire to start.
Old 04-20-2009   #7
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 260379 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
I'm not sure what to take from that. Part of me thinks that people can't read too much into it and that basically he is saying he isn't going to be a team cancer and that he will work hard and not complain. Good idea. But when the money issue was mentioned it made me think that he didn't care because there was a paycheck at the end of the day.
Well, the article sounds like VY is maybe maturing and trying to keep his mouth shut and go to work, right up until this quote from him:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmar74 View Post
“Whatever they want me to do that is what I am going to do,” Young said. “If they want me to sit on the sideline and be there to watch the game then that is OK with me, but at the same time I am getting my checks and I am fine.’’
That's where he lost me. Up until that quote, I was thinking that the author of the article was off base. Then VY opened his mouth and inserted his foot.

Quote:
See above.
Old 04-20-2009   #8
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He better be taking some classes on how to invest those big paychecks, because at the rate he's going now, his career as a pro football player seems mighty SHORT! Maybe he's just whining because he's NOT A TEXAN!! 126+,000 bucks a game just to ride the pine!! DAMN!! He might be smarter than we think! j/k! When he's 30 yrs old and still doing NOTHING, he will still be rich!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009   #9
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 141560 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

While waiting in the aisle to be checked out at Kroger I saw a pack of VY sausage that I guess the purchaser decided not to buy. Even his little sausages get no love. (tear rolls down my eye..........with laughter......for those that thought he was the next big thing)
Old 04-20-2009   #10
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Well, the article sounds like VY is maybe maturing and trying to keep his mouth shut and go to work, right up until this quote from him:

That's where he lost me. Up until that quote, I was thinking that the author of the article was off base. Then VY opened his mouth and inserted his foot.

See above.
That quote is exactly why I said I was torn above. Up until that point he was saying the right things.
Old 04-20-2009   #11
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
He better be taking some classes on how to invest those big paychecks, because at the rate he's going now, his career as a pro football player seems mighty SHORT! Maybe he's just whining because he's NOT A TEXAN!! 126+,000 bucks a game just to ride the pine!! DAMN!! He might be smarter than we think! j/k! When he's 30 yrs old and still doing NOTHING, he will still be rich!
You are excitable.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009   #12
Polo

I don't have a problem with Vince saying he is geting his checks so he is fine.

At the end of the day it is a job.
Old 04-20-2009   #13
Polo

One other thing I thought about in regards to his "I'm getting my checks" statement.

Him all of a sudden only caring about the money and resigning himself to being a back-up makes no sense at all.

Last year folks thought he was having a mental breakdown because he was struggling on the field and then lost his job as a starter. Now he's gonna pull a 180 and say he's ok with being a back-up and collecting checks? Not jiving...

Sounds to me like people close to him have been telling him not to beat himself up so bad and to not take it so hard.

They probably even reminded him that at the end of the day it' just a game that he gets paid to play.

Sounds to me like VY is rationalizing to keep his sanity.
Old 04-20-2009   #14
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

I would feel bad for him, except for all the shit Mario took over the whole thing. He was killed for a whole year. He was booed at what should have been the best day of his life. I had to see VY yell " This is my house!" in my stadium. Thats what happends when you buy into yourself too much. They slanted the articles against Mario back in the day, so no sympathy from me. *Shrug*
Old 04-20-2009   #15
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Sounds to me like he's doing the best he can in pretty much a no win situation for him. Only way he gets back his starting role is if freaking Kerry Collins gets injured, thats gotta be atough pill to swallow.

I know this is goingto sound so Vince Young's mom but when I was working weird hours at a grocery store while going to a community college part time, I'd come home kind of pissed about doing a good job but, not getting appreciated for all the extra work i did. She'd always keep in mind it's just a job, collect your checks andkeep your eye on the long term goal.I think Vince has not resigned himself to backup as much as doing the best you can until an opportunity arises whether that is this year or the next, when he'll likely be cut or traded.

He should be consulting with Randall Cunningham right now to see how a QB can transfom from a running QB to one that can stand in the pocket.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009   #16
drewmar74
disgruntled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
He should be consulting with Randall Cunningham right now to see how a QB can transfom from a running QB to one that can stand in the pocket.
That's probably a great piece of advice.
Old 04-20-2009   #17
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104666 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
I don't have a problem with Vince saying he is geting his checks so he is fine.

At the end of the day it is a job.
I would expect a little more out of a guy that was the #3 pick in the draft.

Bud thanks for trying to spite Houston. It's only going to cost you a few million $
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009   #18
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

You know what? I don't feel sorry for him at all over not being some superstar athlete, but I do feel sorry for him when I consider that he is famous for his lack of intellect.

They say that anything over $50,000 (present value) a year won't make you any happier; so, imagine making $50,000 a year and getting famous for being stupid. Maybe they shouldn't make the results of those tests public. That would help a little bit.

HJam72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009   #19
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 143421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Who cares?
Old 04-20-2009   #20
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Who cares?
Well said sir. Well said.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read