Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-19-2009   #1
JayCee
Veteran

Rep Power: 14 JayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden cover
Default Draft Coverage...

for the past few years i've watched the draft live nfl.com, however to my surprise this year ESPN international (which is what we get here in NZ) is televising the first 4 hours of the draft live.

I remember reading comments last year that ESPN doesn't compare to the NFL Networks coverage of the draft - which made me think that apart from the occasional streaming problems online - i wasn't missing out on much. I do enjoy Maycocks' commentary.

What do you guys reckon? Is it worth me claiming the TV for 4 hours to watch ESPN on tv?
Or should i continue to watch NFL network in my cave, sometimes referred to as a office, and put up with the occasional connection problems?
JayCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009   #2
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 93152 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Draft Coverage...

What time is that coverage on over here??

I might have to cash in my leave pass to watch.
Old 04-19-2009   #3
JayCee
Veteran

Rep Power: 14 JayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden cover

First day starts @ 8am,...

2nd day starts @ 2am

Last edited by JayCee; 04-19-2009 at 05:05 AM.
Old 04-19-2009   #4
pbat488
gig 'em

Rep Power: 12913 pbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respected

NFL Network is inherently better because you don't have to listen to Mel Kiper Jr., Todd McShay, or Keyshawn Johnson telling you how bad/good a pick is. Also, there are less commercials on NFLN. But more importantly, you don't have to listen to Keyshawn... have I gone over that part yet??
pbat488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009   #5
krocket
Rookie

Rep Power: 135 krocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respected

Both have a lot of talking in between a little drafting, period. Sometimes they stay on the subject and sometimes they don't. So pays your money and take your choice. I don't believe there is a clear-cut winner, except for who you have to listen to all day.

I prefer NFL.com however.
krocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009   #6
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCee View Post

2nd day starts @ 2am
for me, that would put a whole new wrinkle on my draft day hoopla. a hearty breakfast with bloody mary's instead of a good grilled/smoked meat spread...interesting...
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009   #7
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I watch NFLNetwork and turn to ESPN when there is a commercial or feature that I am not interested. If you think that your connection is going to be a serious problem, i would just watch ESPN.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-19-2009   #8
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

ESPN is fine for the draft. People love to hate on Mel Kiper but he made the NFL draft what it is today.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009   #9
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
ESPN is fine for the draft. People love to hate on Mel Kiper but he made the NFL draft what it is today.
Well to each his own.....but Mel couldn't of cleaned the toe jam out of Bushbaum's toe nails....and that there thingy is the truth.
Old 04-19-2009   #10
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 263584 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

The only time I'm "watching" the draft is when the Texans are up. I don't pay a lot of attention draft day to other teams and what they do. That will all be analyzed to death later. I watch the Texans pick and the announcers reaction to it, then the TV gets muted until the Texans are up again.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009   #11
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Well to each his own.....but Mel couldn't of cleaned the toe jam out of Bushbaum's toe nails....and that there thingy is the truth.

No doubt about that. I am in no way saying Mel is better at grading players out than Bushbaum did. Player evaluations are one thing but what Mel deserves some credit for is making the draft into the big event it is today.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009   #12
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 264718 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I will have NFLN on. But most of my time will be spent on the threads here on TexansTalk.com.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009   #13
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 263584 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I will have NFLN on. But most of my time will be spent on the threads here on TexansTalk.com.
that's my plan as well

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009   #14
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84496 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Buschbaum helped create interest in the draft that is continuing to grow.

RIP Joel
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009   #15
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

If I had to choose between the two I'd take Mayock and the NFL.Network, but I still also enjoy catching the take of the guys on ESPN.
I do feel for young McShay who gets abused and appears to be kinda intimidated by the overbearing Kiper which is why I enjoyed seeing Kiper having to go up against the equally opinioned and overbearing Merril Hoge the other day. Of course Hoge was in the NFL for several years and treated
Kiper like he was somebody who never took a snap in his life (which he probably hasn't) at any level of football. I enjoyed that.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009   #16
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 93152 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCee View Post

2nd day starts @ 2am
Thanks for that.

It looks like I'll be missing it. Starting that late it clashes with church and I'm preaching this week so I can't really call in sick.
Old 04-19-2009   #17
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
I watch NFLNetwork and turn to ESPN when there is a commercial or feature that I am not interested. If you think that your connection is going to be a serious problem, i would just watch ESPN.
That's generally what I do too. I'll probably do the same this year with my laptop nearby so I can check out what's going on here as the Texans' picks come up.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009   #18
JayCee
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
yeah good point - i normally flick between nfl.com and TT to check out the reactions.

i've recently upgraded my internet to max available download and upload so that will probably make a difference however i'm pretty sure the connection problems i get are usually to do with the site rather than not having enough bandwidth as ive always had a decent connection.
Did anyone else get the same problem? Last year is started off great, but by the end of round 1, it started dropping off on a regular basis and became almost unwatchable.
Old 04-19-2009   #19
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 97142 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbat488 View Post
NFL Network is inherently better because you don't have to listen to Mel Kiper Jr., Todd McShay, or Keyshawn Johnson telling you how bad/good a pick is. Also, there are less commercials on NFLN. But more importantly, you don't have to listen to Keyshawn... have I gone over that part yet??
Ehh..the talking gets annoying no matter the channel you're watching. I'm usually multi-tasking doing something else & My TV's on mute, especially in the 1st round. The only time i listen is when the texans are about to pick. between our picks, i'm mainly just watching the "best available" ticker & every teams drafted players so far.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009   #20
rarazz00
VOLUME 10

Rep Power: 114 rarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respected

I would like it if they wouldn't go to commercial during the Texans pick

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read