Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

View Poll Results: which back do you want
beanie in the 1st round 1 1.61%
andre brown in the 3rd 19 30.65%
rashad jennings in the 3rd 14 22.58%
shonn greene in the 2nd 5 8.06%
james davis in the 3rd/4th 2 3.23%
gartrell johnson in the 4th/5th 7 11.29%
knowshon in the 1st 3 4.84%
donald brown in the 1st/2nd 4 6.45%
chris ogbanna in the 4th/5th 0 0%
other... spill 7 11.29%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-18-2009   #1
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Which back do you want?

likelihood is one of these will be a texan next weekend. which do you want:

Last edited by Maddict5; 04-18-2009 at 05:23 PM.
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009   #2
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Which back do you want?

i voted Brown. Donald not Andre and i'll tell you why. i'm not a fan of having a thunder and lightning backfield. i feel it makes your offense too predictable. why not have a lightning lightning backfield. or dash and dash if you will. i'm not saying that we dont need a situational back for short yardage but i'd rather have Brown and then sign a free agent to back the two of them up.
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009   #3
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Whats the odds on ShonneGreen lasting till our pick in the third? Cuz I would have picked him
Old 04-18-2009   #4
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3rm0nt3r View Post
i voted Brown. Donald not Andre and i'll tell you why. i'm not a fan of having a thunder and lightning backfield. i feel it makes your offense too predictable. why not have a lightning lightning backfield. or dash and dash if you will. i'm not saying that we dont need a situational back for short yardage but i'd rather have Brown and then sign a free agent to back the two of them up.
thats why i really like jennnings. hes a big back but he does alot of things. good vision and catches the ball well etc
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009   #5
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce

Rep Power: 4297 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's good and all, but do you really think the Texans are going to use a 1st or 2nd round pick on a running back? Because I don't.
Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009   #6
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

For this poll I picked Andre Brown as the best RB and value at the draft position listed, but I don't think he'll be available for us in the mid 3rd round. Donald Brown would be very nice as well but I don't see the Texans spending a 1st or 2nd round pick on RB. We'll most likely pick a RB in the 4th round.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009   #7
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 18298 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

The backs that are available are good at what they do, some have superior size and zpeed, some are all-rounders and can catch as well as return kicks, etc.

I know the Texans aren't going to pick a RB untill the 4th round or later so I want Herb Donaldson from Western Illinois on our team. He is a big back and was productive at WIU and can do all the things expected from a RB, catch, run, and block as well.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-18-2009   #8
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll go off the board with Conredge Collins from Pitt though the draft, Frank Summers and Gartrell Johnson undrafted.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009   #9
pbat488
gig 'em

Rep Power: 12913 pbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respected

malcolm jenkins... defensive back
pbat488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009   #10
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
V3rm0nt3r is double dead on
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009   #11
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

laughing my rearend off right now. malcolm jenkins all the way! beerlover that was funny. vermonter awesome post. trouble here cuz im stuck on the tarmac at hobby on my phone. Donald Brown hands down best RB for us in the draft. But i'd love if we could get Jenkins in the 1st, Eric Wood in the 2nd and Rashad Jennings in the 3rd.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009   #12
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Whether we pick up an early round RB or not, I would look closely at Cal's pounding, sure-handed FB/RB Will Fautoou in the later rounds.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009   #13
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari-OWNED! View Post
That's good and all, but do you really think the Texans are going to use a 1st or 2nd round pick on a running back? Because I don't.
this poll is which back would YOU want? not which back do you think they will draft? i read it over like three times before i voted as to answer the right question.
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009   #14
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 23832 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Gonna have to rep my boy Andre Brown.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009   #15
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Jennings is great value in the third.

I like Donald Brown but I don't think we take a back in the first.

I think the third is a good round this year for us to take another back. Jennings may be off the board though so Andre Brown would be my next target.

We could also wait until the fourth and still get a good back. James Davis, Javon Ringer, etc...
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009   #16
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Brown and Jennings have great value in the third if they are there. I think the third is good spot to address RB if we don't in the second because I think the second round presents a lot more scenarios with BPA. If McCoy was there with our second round pick, that's who I would take.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009   #17
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
V3rm0nt3r is double dead on
Yall know I respect you, but I think there is more value in Jennings in the third than Brown in the first. I like the idea of a 231lb back that can run a 4.5 40. A guy with that kind of size and speed would be a true compliment and not simply a short yardage back. One thing that scares me about D Brown is that he only ran a 4.51 40 at the combine. While a lot of prospects also ran slow times, many chose to run at their pro day. Brown did not, so all we have are his combine numbers.

So, should we take Brown in the first/second: 5'10", 210lbs, 4.51 40 or Jennings in the third: 6'1", 231lbs, 4.52 40. Id take Jennings.

Wouldn't yall?

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009   #18
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 311116 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not a big follower of college football, so I don't know one of the backs from another. But I do hope they take a back in the 3rd, not the 4th, because what backs are left in the 3rd will be better than our pick in the 4th. The 1st and 2nd rounds need to go to the defense.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009   #19
danger6
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 danger6 could be on the next Madden coverdanger6 could be on the next Madden coverdanger6 could be on the next Madden coverdanger6 could be on the next Madden coverdanger6 could be on the next Madden coverdanger6 could be on the next Madden cover

Nice poll, Maddict5 !

Well, I voted Andre Brown in the 3rd. I think there is a high chance that he will be gone by the #77 pick. Rashad Jennings in the 3rd would probably be fine. I seem to recall some discussion in the past regarding work ethic issues related to Jennings though . . . anyone know more about this issue?

There is more to life than 40 times, but here are some for comparison:

NFLDraft Scout.com:

Andre Brown: 40 time: 4.37 (High – 4.54; Low – 4.32)
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2009&genpos=rb

Rashad Jennings: 40 time: 4.59 (High – 4.67; low – 4.50)
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2009&genpos=RB

NFL Combine site:

Andre Brown: 4.49
Rashad Jennings: 4.67

http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers?tabIndex=0

Last edited by danger6; 04-19-2009 at 11:58 AM.
danger6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009   #20
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Again...what we're talking about here, unless there is a disaster....is a back who at most will receive ten to twelve touches per game. Unless of course you're planning on trading Slaton away Saturday. Now I'm not so pig headed not to discuss the possibility. If you're talking Rb on day one....that's what you are posting.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read