Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-15-2009   #1
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Breaking Down the Texans on the Road

Yeah, another schedule thread.

So we are coming off of back to back 8-8 seasons for Kubiak and our beloved team. In these 2 seasons the Texans have been very solid at home... going 13-3. Ok ok... 12-4.... I just wanted to give a shout out to Rosencopter one last time. Still great... but obviously the flip side to that is our record is 4-12 on the road over the same span. Just when we thought they maybe turned a corner after the GB game... then came the egg at Oakland.

Oh btw... I hadn't realized that we have only won more than 2 road games in a season ONCE in our entire history... and that was back in 04. Crazy huh?

So... this is a key area that we absolutely HAVE improve on this year in order to be the team that we all think they can and should be in 09.

Lets take a look at the past road games in 07 and in 08, and then 09 and its SOS on paper to compare:

07 Road Games (07 winning %):
Carolina (.438) W
Atlanta (.250) L
San Diego (.688) L
Oakland (.250) W
Cleveland .625) L
(0-3 in Division)

08 Road Games(08 winning %):
Pittsburgh (.750) L
Minnesota (.625) L
Cleveland (.250) W
Green Bay (.375) W
Oakland (.313) L
(0-3 in Division)

09 Road Games(08 winning %):
Arizona (.563)
Cincinnati (.281)
Buffalo (.438)
St. Louis (.125)
Miami (.688)
(0-0 in Division)

I don't weigh 07 too much when trying to compare to our 09 schedule simply by the 08 team being the closest model we have to our upcoming team.

Lets compare 08 and 09. First... Pitt, Minn, and GB have to be 3 of the toughest places to play in the NFL imo. When looking at the hierarchy of win %, there is no way I trade AZ and MIA with the Pitt and Minn games from last year. No way I trade GB over Buffalo... mainly due to getting Buffalo on Nov.1 vs. in GB a month later in frigid December. Then you have the bottom feeders Cincy and St. Louis and weather not being a worry for either. Our road games actually worked out kind of perfectly weather wise. Not to mention we get a friendly opening quarter at home before we hit a big stretch of road games. Last years 3 of 4 on the road was BRUTAL.

Looking back at the list, we have won 2 games each vs road opponents both times vs. marginal opponents and none with in the division.

Looking forward, as most will, I have St. Louis and Cincy penciled in as wins and if we can pull out a Jax win on the road... that would immediately give us the best road record we have had in a long time. If we hold at home like we have been and should, take advantage of the schedule breakdown, and pick maybe a game or two up on the road on top of that.... we my friends, could be in business. Its like I am starting to see 4-4 on the road at least. The will have to prove it of course... but I love this set up this year.

Anyone see it breaking down differently? Other road games we should win? Why have we struggled so much on the road in the past? What will be the difference this year? Is it the schedule breakdown thats most important as we become a better more well rounded team?
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009   #2
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Breaking Down the Texans on the Road

I would like to predict a winning, or even .500, percentage for road games, but like you mentioned, we have traditionally be a dog team on the road. So it would merely be hopeful optimism that they will change before we actually see any proof of improvement.

But I certainly hope they can win at least one more on the road to be, at minimum, a 3-5 road record. Add that to our traditional 6 wins at home the past two seasons, and we end up with our first winning record. That wouldn't be too much to expect, I suppose.
Old 04-15-2009   #3
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I would like to predict a winning, or even .500, percentage for road games, but like you mentioned, we have traditionally be a dog team on the road. So it would merely be hopeful optimism that they will change before we actually see any proof of improvement.

But I certainly hope they can win at least one more on the road to be, at minimum, a 3-5 road record. Add that to our traditional 6 wins at home the past two seasons, and we end up with our first winning record. That wouldn't be too much to expect, I suppose.
UGGH! Come on, DB... 9 and 7? It's April! Even the realists have us in the playoffs with 10-11 wins. Get on board... if I can't count on your optimistic exuberance in April, what the heck is going to happen when we lose 2 in a row?
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009   #4
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

If we want to be effective, we have to WIN AT LEAST ONE ROAD GAME AGAINST A DIVISION OPPONENT, plus our usual 2 road wins against whoever (Raiders, Miami, whoever sucks). We also have to win at least 2 home games against division opponents, which we will do, but haven't always. But, if that's all we can do, and we barely make the playoffs, getting a ROAD GAME play-off appearance, we are probably toast. This team needs to learn how to grind it out on the road and deal with adversity--meaning refs swayed by the crowd noise, because it definitely happens. You get screwed on the road.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009   #5
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 317617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
UGGH! Come on, DB... 9 and 7? It's April! Even the realists have us in the playoffs with 10-11 wins. Get on board... if I can't count on your optimistic exuberance in April, what the heck is going to happen when we lose 2 in a row?
LOL! Every off-season I have made the koolaide for everyone to drink, but they still won't get over the hump. This year I'm being pragmatic. That's being a realist, IMO.

Believe me, my friend, I want to see 10-11 wins as bad as anyone!
Old 04-15-2009   #6
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 214275 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
hey, no fair "working the room"...
let the man be pessimistic if he wants.
just wait until after the draft. he'll be making Kool-Ade by the 55-gal. drum.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009   #7
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Hey, who you callin' "pessimistic"? That would be a 5-11 prediction!

I'm just sayin' that a) our team has traditionally been bad on the road, and b) we have yet to break .500 for a season. Thems the facts.

Honestly, this is a wait-and-see year for me. Kubiak has the offense working, which is great, but I'm just not sold on Bush, yet, until we can actually see his work in action. I'm usually quite delusional in my blinding optimism about these things. For whatever reason(s), the old Oilers fan in me keeps reminding me that these games are not played on paper (if you remember the R&S days of having the most talented team on paper yet always failing to fulfill their potential greatness).
Old 04-15-2009   #8
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 253700 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'm just sayin' that a) our team has traditionally been bad on the road, and b) we have yet to break .500 for a season. Thems the facts.

Honestly, this is a wait-and-see year for me. Kubiak has the offense working, which is great, but I'm just not sold on Bush, yet, until we can actually see his work in action. I'm usually quite delusional in my blinding optimism about these things. For whatever reason(s), the old Oilers fan in me keeps reminding me that these games are not played on paper (if you remember the R&S days of having the most talented team on paper yet always failing to fulfill their potential greatness).
I think this is the year we finally break 500, but I'm still waiting for the results of the draft before I go making predictions.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009   #9
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34613 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
LOL! Every off-season I have made the koolaide for everyone to drink, but they still won't get over the hump. This year I'm being pragmatic. That's being a realist, IMO.

Damn your pragmatism DB!
Old 04-15-2009   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

has anybody offered a theory of why we play so bad on the road?
Old 04-15-2009   #11
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34613 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
We do not stay at the Holiday Inn?
Old 04-15-2009   #12
Lucky

Rep Power: 161176 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Stop being a nabob of negativism. It's time this team took the AFC South...make that the AFC...make that the NFL...by it's collective throat. A baker's dozen worth of wins. That should be the goal for the minimum amount of W's. In the regular season. And a nice 3 game win streak in the playoffs.

If not us, who? If not now, when?

Old 04-15-2009   #13
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331852 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Stop being a nabob of negativism. It's time this team took the AFC South...make that the AFC...make that the NFL...by it's collective throat. A baker's dozen worth of wins. That should be the goal for the minimum amount of W's. In the regular season. And a nice 3 game win streak in the playoffs.

If not us, who? If not now, when?

I'm not big into predictions, but we have defied the odds the last two years (particularly last year by having a repeat record) with not having a shift up or down of 3 or more games each year. Unlike say TN and Indy with obvious losses, I don't see where the Texans have lost anything this off-season. So if they are due for an ordinary 3 game switch do you call it more likely to 5-11 or 11-5. I'd say the up is more likely.
Old 04-16-2009   #14
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
mediocre teams generally win a few more than they lose at home and lose way more than they win on the road. We can't beat good teams when the games are important....we've been mediocre with too many reasons to list the why's and how's.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009   #15
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 103984 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
to add what Vinny said, TC had a blog about it

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...highlight=road
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009   #16
whiskeyrbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by axman40 View Post
We do not stay at the Holiday Inn?
Priceless !! Rep to ya
Old 04-17-2009   #17
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyrbl View Post
Priceless !! Rep to ya
Well, I said three years ago that it would take three good drafts to switch defenses. They got a loaded defensive board this draft.
So what ever the over all game plan was it should be completed this draft. They're just young. Pile on switching QBs too, I think they are right on schedule.

Some people believe in strength of schedule. Some don't. Falcons had a pretty easy year last year. They'll play a harder schedule this year. Won't be a shock if they tumble a little bit. I believe they are one of the teams that has to go cave man and play the NFC east in succession four games in a row. Heck the teams in the NFC east don't have to do that.

Inconsistencies in the o-line. Not talented enough in the d-line. They had to find something in themselves to make an 8-8 season. They could of quit and they didn't. Gotta find TDs in the green zone. and create more plays on defense. Get off the Field on third down.

They play bad on the road because they are young. and when they see things slipping away....like the onside kick in the Oakland game they still get rattled. Everyone is a year older and a year wiser. Been teased so much the last seven years...but this is the year ....I believe. We get 5-1 in the division...and we go to the dance. And I've never posted that before.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 04-17-2009 at 12:59 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009   #18
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 128458 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I am with you.

I had high hopes last season and we came out of the gate and got our asses handed to us.

I wanna see some fire at the beginning of this season.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read