Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-15-2009   #21
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 105157 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans tackle Okoye may need MRI for sore knee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I wonder if he has been working out prior to this camp? Big heavy men who all of a sudden start to stress out their joints put a much tougher burden on their connective tissues than smaller men. I hope this isn't a sign that he has been sitting around since last season.
Supposedly he's been hitting it hard since the Pro Bowl.

Quote:
A month off has allowed his ankle to heal, and since he returned from the Pro Bowl, he has been hitting the gym with newfound motivation.
Quote:
“Last year, coming off my rookie year, I didn’t want to do something unless I was forced to do it. So last year, I didn’t do anything until April. I’m taking a different approach this year. Like I said, I went to the Pro Bowl and it motivated me seeing the guys there knowing that I could be there also. So after the Pro Bowl was over, I came back and started working out.”
Quote:
Okoye has been focusing on improving his conditioning and increasing his core strength and is working his way toward heavy press lifting sessions.
Quote:
Okoye plans to ramp up his workouts until mid-March, when he leaves for a community-building trip in is native Nigeria.
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=5148
Old 04-15-2009   #22
ReliantTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 364 ReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I had a strange pain in my knee for years man. It all started one day after I was playing basketball. It was right on top of my knee cap and whenever I leaned on my knee or put pressure on that spot I would feel some pain there. It wasn't a horrible pain , but it was a very irritating pain. Whenever I ran real hard or played basketball especially I would feel the pain more and it would get sore. I had it for so long, that I just learned how to tolerate it.

Then about a year or so ago I realized that I hadn't felt the pain for a while and I haven't ever since either. I;m not sure why it or how it just up and went away but it did and I'm glad.

Do you think that was tendinitis? I've had tendinitis in my elbow more than once and hated it, but I still am not sure if that is what it was in my knee.
I'm no expert but usually if the pain lasts longer than 2-3 weeks it's probably not tendonitis, but more likely tendonosis,which is when the tendon is degenerative,and it takes a longer time for the pain to go away.
ReliantTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009   #23
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReliantTexan View Post
I'm no expert but usually if the pain lasts longer than 2-3 weeks it's probably not tendonitis, but more likely tendonosis,which is when the tendon is degenerative,and it takes a longer time for the pain to go away.
Tendinosis, especially patellar tendinosis, takes a longer time to develop than just in this OTA period. If this is the case, he would have had to have been suffering these symptoms for quite a while. The MRI or an ultrasound would rule that out pretty easily. We better hope it's not tendinosis, because a lineman like Okoye would need 3-6 months minimally to "recover".........and then would be unlikely to return to anymore than 75-80% of previous full tendon strength. Steroids and antiinflammatories do not help because tendenosis as opposed to tendonitis is not an inflammatory process..........it is a process of chronic degenerative tissue death. It's chronic recurrent microtearing of the tendon with failure to heal. RICE usually improves the condition a little. But THERE IS NO TREATMENT OF REVERSAL OF DAMAGE..........which has necessitated many a career changes.

Last edited by CloakNNNdagger; 04-15-2009 at 05:08 PM.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009   #24
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70215 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
Sounds like Kubes is telling Amobi to get over it.
Kubiak doesn't like people talking to the media about their ouchies unless the media already knows about their ouchy. And even then, he wants no details given out.

Players are to report injuries to the trainer. Reporting injuries to the media is an excuse.
Old 04-16-2009   #25
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Kubiak doesn't like people talking to the media about their ouchies unless the media already knows about their ouchy. And even then, he wants no details given out.

Players are to report injuries to the trainer. Reporting injuries to the media is an excuse.
All Kubiak has to do is draft a DT in round one, two, or three...and that should send the message. If Okoye is going to end up with nagging injuries, we need to fill that spot with another DT in the higher rounds.

This might be something that fades away, but so far...things aren't looking good for Okoye. I hope that in training camp, Kubiak has Kollar and Bush put the screws to Okoye.

My expectations for Okoye were:

Rookie season: Stay on the field, disrupt plays and contribute however he could as a rookie.

Sophomore season: Show an ability to command a double-team, and maintain his zone of play. Make a few sacks. Solid stats on tackles.

This year: He has to be a notch below Mario's ability. Round 1 talent is either worthy of their draft spot...or they were posers all along. TJ is hovering around the "poser" mark right now, but maybe the new scheme will see him flourish.

I hate to be so critical, because it's not like Okoye has been a cancer in the locker room, and he hasn't just gone out there and fallen down, but I think he hasn't lived up to his potential.

Whether it's due to his age, or whatever, I don't know.

But this report, like TC said, is concerning because I don't remember any Texans player divulging their injury unless the media already knew about it beforehand (like the instance of Mario's feet).
Old 04-16-2009   #26
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
All Kubiak has to do is draft a DT in round one, two, or three...and that should send the message. If Okoye is going to end up with nagging injuries, we need to fill that spot with another DT in the higher rounds.

This might be something that fades away, but so far...things aren't looking good for Okoye.
I hope that in training camp, Kubiak has Kollar and Bush put the screws to Okoye.

My expectations for Okoye were:

Rookie season: Stay on the field, disrupt plays and contribute however he could as a rookie.

Sophomore season: Show an ability to command a double-team, and maintain his zone of play. Make a few sacks. Solid stats on tackles.

This year: He has to be a notch below Mario's ability. Round 1 talent is either worthy of their draft spot...or they were posers all along. TJ is hovering around the "poser" mark right now, but maybe the new scheme will see him flourish.

I hate to be so critical, because it's not like Okoye has been a cancer in the locker room, and he hasn't just gone out there and fallen down, but I think he hasn't lived up to his potential.

Whether it's due to his age, or whatever, I don't know.

But this report, like TC said, is concerning because I don't remember any Texans player divulging their injury unless the media already knew about it beforehand (like the instance of Mario's feet).
This is just a little soreness, it is not like he is having the knee scoped for the second or third time in his brief career.

With the way DeJuan Robinson played last year and the signing of a DT this off season you would think that would be enough to say to every DT on the team get it in gear or your gone.
Old 04-16-2009   #27
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
This is just a little soreness, it is not like he is having the knee scoped for the second or third time in his brief career.

With the way DeJuan Robinson played last year and the signing of a DT this off season you would think that would be enough to say to every DT on the team get it in gear or your gone.
Shaun Cody isn't going to push Okoye.

Robinson might.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read