Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-13-2009   #1
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Good Character Players

Since we spend a lot timne on bad character, here is profootballweekly on good character

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...wwhi041309.htm
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009   #2
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72205 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Good Character Players

I can only speak of the Texas players because that is who I know best.

I agree with them about Orakpo. I would bet money that he has the most outstanding work ethic in this class.

Quan Cosby volunteers a lot of his time to community service. He has helped organize numerous events for underprivileged children in the area.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009   #3
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post

I agree with them about Orakpo. I would bet money that he has the most outstanding work ethic in this class.

Quan Cosby volunteers a lot of his time to community service. He has helped organize numerous events for underprivileged children in the area.
Plus Cosby is older and already has a family so he shouldn't be a guy that will be getting arrested and in trouble.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009   #4
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

a good example of a team overestimating character is David Carr. By year 3 he had shown that he didn't make good decisions, was a poor leader and had questionable work ethic when it came to doing extra work but the Texans extended him mostly because he was such a good guy.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009   #5
keyser
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19488 keyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
a good example of a team overestimating character is David Carr. By year 3 he had shown that he didn't make good decisions, was a poor leader and had questionable work ethic when it came to doing extra work but the Texans extended him mostly because he was such a good guy.
I guess there are multiple aspects of "character" - the article mentioned the factors as being: "...maturity, work ethic, intelligence, citizenship, coachability, responsibility, trustworthiness, accountability, leadership and overall intangibles." While Carr might have done well in some of those, he was not "high character" in others.

For someone who was almost the inverse of Carr, you have Michael Irvin, who lacked in most non-football areas, but excelled in areas such as work ethic. Clearly no one would label Irvin as a "high character" guy, but yet overall, considering all of these aspects, he might come out closer to Carr.
keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009   #6
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
At least hes not a too muscular waist bender who has tight ankles. :P
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009   #7
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser View Post
I guess there are multiple aspects of "character" - the article mentioned the factors as being: "...maturity, work ethic, intelligence, citizenship, coachability, responsibility, trustworthiness, accountability, leadership and overall intangibles." While Carr might have done well in some of those, he was not "high character" in others.

For someone who was almost the inverse of Carr, you have Michael Irvin, who lacked in most non-football areas, but excelled in areas such as work ethic. Clearly no one would label Irvin as a "high character" guy, but yet overall, considering all of these aspects, he might come out closer to Carr.
Some teams make a distiction between football character and the other stuff. Irvin was very high on football character, while Carr was below average. Especially at QB, football is not a 9 to 5 job, where you do no more than you have to do and then show up on Sunday.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-15-2009   #8
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Our top pick is named in that site.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009   #9
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well, from my tree....you keep getting up after 149 times....you can knock him about a lot of things....character isn't one of them. The guys got it by the buckets full.
Old 04-17-2009   #10
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post

Before I knew he was a workout warror....and an exceptional NFL prospect....the first thing I noticed about Orakpo was how much he effected every one else on the defense. When he was in the game they just got fired up. When he wasn't in because he was injured....they weren't the same defense. The guy leads by his example. He elevates everyone around him. Sounds corny. But that's the way I read it.
Old 04-17-2009   #11
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Well, from my tree....you keep getting up after 149 times....you can knock him about a lot of things....character isn't one of them. The guys got it by the buckets full.
well duh, that's kinda my point. The Texans overvalued his off the field character to the detriment of the team.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009   #12
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
Our top pick is named in that site.
everette brown is my guess (and hope)
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read