Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-13-2009   #1
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110436 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default For those who think there is no way we draft offense

Chron Article
Rick Smith doesn’t rule out anything, including taking an offensive player with his first-round pick.

“You have to look at value,” he said. “If it’s our turn to pick and we have an offensive player rated a lot higher than a defensive player, why should we pass up the higher-rated prospect?

“The idea is to improve the team any way we can. We’ve filled some holes in free agency, but we have a lot more work to get done in the draft. We want to take the best players we can get.”

BPA like some of us have been saying all along.
Old 04-13-2009   #2
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: For those who think there is no way we draft offense

well in fairness no GM (publicly) rules out taking anybody before the draft. seemed like a pretty standard answer to me.

id still be anything we'll go defence in the first
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009   #3
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110436 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Cant wait to hear what all the "were drafting Defense only" posters have to say about this. My bet,,,,, its just smoke! Then they will bring up how we were 3rd in offense and nearly last in defense.
Old 04-13-2009   #4
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

This isn't revealing anything. Of course you look at the situation and factor in needs and strengths of your team when selecting.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009   #5
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

On one hand I agree this doesn't really say much, and any good GM will be publicly leaving the draft wide open. With that said I totally agree with what Rick Smith said and I'm pretty sure he was being 100% sincere.

Here's how I see it breaking down:
(a) We're targeting a playmaker on defense, a defensive player is arguably the BPA at 15 so we select him.
(b) We're targeting a playmaker on defense, a defensive player is NOT the BPA at 15 so we trade down to get proper value.
(c) We're targeting a playmaker on defense, a defensive player is NOT the BPA at 15 but we "reach" for him. He is either rated fairly close to the offensive players or we don't think we could select him if we trade down.
(d) We're targeting a playmaker on defense, a defensive player is NOT the BPA at 15 so we take an offensive player. And then tons of fans threaten to give up their same season tickets they threatened to give up in April, 2006.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009   #6
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
This isn't revealing anything. Of course you look at the situation and factor in needs and strengths of your team when selecting.
Yes but there have been many here that insist there is no way we draft offense before the 3rd round and some who even suggest we dont draft offense at all. Me and a few others have been going back and forth with these people for awhile.
Old 04-13-2009   #7
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 150044 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I reckon every GM in the League has this same quoted etched in his mind. Whether we take offense or not, this is fluff talk.
Sponsored links
Old 04-13-2009   #8
Polo

Quote:
“You have to look at value,” he said. “If it’s our turn to pick and we have an offensive player rated a lot higher than a defensive player, why should we pass up the higher-rated prospect?
A little while back Kubes came out and basically said they'd be hard pressed to take a WR in the first round.

I know he's not the GM, but he has a lot of say so as far as personnel goes. I don't understand why Kubiak would make such a definitive comment while Rick Smith would speak with fluff. I'm not sure how you don't take him at his word on this.

The article isn't saying much except for those that feel that we are targeting defense no matter what...I don't think that's true..
Old 04-13-2009   #9
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 90450 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we take defense first... unless one of the top talents drop.

Crabtree, JSmith,Monroe... one of these would be tough to pass up, and if there, the trade down possibilites would be tremendous.

Any other offensive player you would take at 15?
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009   #10
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 107813 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Yes but there have been many here that insist there is no way we draft offense before the 3rd round and some who even suggest we dont draft offense at all. Me and a few others have been going back and forth with these people for awhile.
And you think a quote in the paper which has the GM stating that they will not limit their options and they'll go for an offensive player if he's "Rated a lot higher" strengthens your position on the matter?

I'm not saying your wrong in that position, I'm just saying that using this quote to support it is like using Cecil Cooper's quote that the Astros will win 90 games to support the argument that they're a good team.
Old 04-13-2009   #11
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
And you think a quote in the paper which has the GM stating that they will not limit their options and they'll go for an offensive player if he's "Rated a lot higher" strengthens your position on the matter?
Yes I would say that strengthens my position. When you get a quote straight from the horses mouth that is EXACTLY what you have been saying all along how can it not?
Old 04-13-2009   #12
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post

Any other offensive player you would take at 15?
Maclin, Wells, Moreno...If the Texans took any of those offensive players at fifteen I wouldn't complain at all...
Old 04-13-2009   #13
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 296677 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
Maclin, Wells, Moreno...If the Texans took any of those offensive players at fifteen I wouldn't complain at all...
That depends...... We could've drafted D'angelo Williams in the first round in 2006. But we chose to go with Mario.

Of course, that was the #1 overall selection, and Williams simply did not grade that high. It's very possible that we have an offensive player targeted in the first round, but the 15th overall is nothing to sneeze at. Maclin, I can see at 15, but if we're targeting Wells, or Moreno I would bet we'd roll the dice, and attempt to trade down.

If we can't find a suitor I'd bet we go with a Cushing, or even a Matthews if they are there. My thinking, is that they would be willing to trade out of that spot, and pick a player they would really like. But with the value of the 15th pick in the mix, they would go BPA.
Old 04-13-2009   #14
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
That depends...... We could've drafted D'angelo Williams in the first round in 2006. But we chose to go with Mario.
Huh? Do you mean Reggie Bush? In that case yes, we chose Mario over Reggie. If you truly mean Deangelo Williams, RB, Memphis then that's a different story. Reports are that Kubiak wanted to trade up into the 1st round to draft him but couldn't... we chose Demeco Ryans instead at #33.

My favorite offensive prospects are Michael Oher, Jeremy Maclin and Donald Brown.

A case can be made to trade down for pretty much anybody we're "targeting" at #15. Oher, Maclin or any other WR, Donald Brown, Knowshon Moreno, Beanie Wells, Clay Matthews, Brian Cushing, Peria Jerry, any of the DBs not named Malcolm Jenkins.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read