Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-13-2009   #1
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx
Default Gartrell Johnson

This might be posted elsewhere....but combine this video, plus the fact that Alex Gibbs implemented the ZBS/One cut system at CSU, convinces me that even if we were to get him in the fourth round (as he's projected as a 5-6) would be a steal.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/255793...video_profile/
Old 04-13-2009   #2
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Gartrell Johnson

He's one of my favorite RBs in the draft. I think he'd be an absolute awesome compliment to Slaton (the epitome of a thunder/lightening combo). I wouldn't hesitate to take him with the pick we got from the Vikings in the 4th round (much like we took Slaton with the 3rd rd pick from a trade!), but if Kubiak "needs" him earlier- so be it, I'd be thrilled.

He reminds me a lot of Marion Barber- maybe its just mostly the looks but I think they are pretty similar. He's been on a lot of our radars due to the fact he played at Colorado State, he's a big powerful runner that fits the one cut and go system, doesn't fumble, good at blocking... it's almost too good of a fit. If only he went to A&M for a year, transferred to Colorado St. and then goes and gets his graduate degree from Purdue maybe!? LOL

Anyways, he's my pick for a RB later in the draft and wouldn't be upset if we decided to take him earlier. The 3rd round definitely seems like a reach for him but in all honesty, what do draftniks really know. Take him in the 3rd like Slaton and our RB position is one of strength. I'm fully on this bandwagon.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009   #3
Polo

I think the Texans may take two backs in this draft.
Old 04-13-2009   #4
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
I think the Texans may take two backs in this draft.
Wouldn't surprise me one bit. One early at about the second round (A. Brown) and one later in say the 6th and Gantrell could be that guy. I would prefer Brown in the 3-4 rounds, but I doubt he last that long.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009   #5
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

So am I. I had a thread a while back saying that he and Glenn Coffee could fit in our system and would be a good steal in the draft.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009   #6
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
So am I. I had a thread a while back saying that he and Glenn Coffee could fit in our system and would be a good steal in the draft.
Here you go. I have preached about this guy on here for a bit too. Plus he is Colorado St. Here are two threads from here on him..including the one you mentioned

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...light=gartrell

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...light=gartrell
Old 04-13-2009   #7
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce

Rep Power: 4297 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been high on Rashad Jennings for a while now, but honestly I would not be disappointed at all if the Texans nab Gartrell Johnson say in the 5th round or whatnot. He has all of the attributes that Gary Kubiak likes in a complement to Steve Slaton, plus he's from Colorado State, and that basically guarantees you a roster spot on the Houston Texans!
Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-13-2009   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I like his teammate, Kyle Bell more. Bigger & faster 100% recovered from acl surgery two years ago.

Quote:
Colorado State Pro day: Running back Kyle Bell, by virtue of his last name, was the first Ram up in each drill Tuesday. He set quite the standard, including an unofficial time of 4.54 seconds in the 40-yard dash and 29 repetitions on the bench press. His bench press score would have tied for second-most among running backs at the NFL combine last month in Indianapolis. Bell, who missed the 2006 season with a torn ACL and backed up Johnson last fall, said he feels like he is in the best shape of his life, and that he hopes his numbers from Tuesday will help show NFL teams he is completely healthy. "I worked each day to put myself in position to play at the next level," Bell said. - By Lindsay H. Jones, The Denver Post

Last edited by beerlover; 04-13-2009 at 11:35 AM.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009   #9
whiskeyrbl

I would definitely consider G.Johnson in the 4th. That would be a devastating 1-2 punch in our backfield.
Old 04-13-2009   #10
Polo

I hope the Texans are not counting on many second day picks to be the primary back-up. If they have one or two in mind that they really like and are confident about...great...

But the thing about putting your chips in that basket is that you don't have as good a gauge where other teams might take them...If you are banking on waiting until the third for a Jennings or fifth for Johnson there is always the possibility that teams could take them one round earlier...Not to mention the fact that the later you take a back the longer it likely will take them to develop into a dependable back.
Old 04-13-2009   #11
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 120523 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

I beleive this is the original thread about him.

LINK
Old 04-13-2009   #12
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
I hope the Texans are not counting on many second day picks to be the primary back-up. If they have one or two in mind that they really like and are confident about...great...
True. Steve Slaton is a perfect example of that. Alot of people on here liked the Slaton pick but alot more thought he wasn't going to cut it. However, the staff liked him alot and he really made them look good didn't he.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009   #13
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I like his teammate, Kyle Bell more. Bigger & faster 100% recovered from acl surgery two years ago.
i'd look at him if he were to go undrafted or even a 7th but i'd rather have Johnson. Bell backed him up and its not that i don't believe a backup can succeed in the NFL its just that i'd rather take the safer pick when it comes to this position rather than going with a low risk high reward kind of pick.

Slaton's health is too valuable to gamble IMO but if they were to draft 2 rbs than i'd have no problem with these two (although it'd be kind of tacky to have both parts of a 1 2 punch from college on the same NFL roster).
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009   #14
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce

Rep Power: 4297 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I looked up some info on him, and he seems to me like he will go undrafted, but I'd like to see the Texans look him up after that.
Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009   #15
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
He's one of my favorite RBs in the draft. I think he'd be an absolute awesome compliment to Slaton (the epitome of a thunder/lightening combo). I wouldn't hesitate to take him with the pick we got from the Vikings in the 4th round (much like we took Slaton with the 3rd rd pick from a trade!), but if Kubiak "needs" him earlier- so be it, I'd be thrilled.

He reminds me a lot of Marion Barber- maybe its just mostly the looks but I think they are pretty similar. He's been on a lot of our radars due to the fact he played at Colorado State, he's a big powerful runner that fits the one cut and go system, doesn't fumble, good at blocking... it's almost too good of a fit. If only he went to A&M for a year, transferred to Colorado St. and then goes and gets his graduate degree from Purdue maybe!? LOL

Anyways, he's my pick for a RB later in the draft and wouldn't be upset if we decided to take him earlier. The 3rd round definitely seems like a reach for him but in all honesty, what do draftniks really know. Take him in the 3rd like Slaton and our RB position is one of strength. I'm fully on this bandwagon.
I agree OMT but like you have him later. In fact, most have him in 6-7 range where I hope we could get him. He looked very good in the seniors game. I prefer Jennings in 3rd and another speed back similar to Slaton. My board on a trade down scenario picking up a 3rd:
1.Robert Ayers DE 2. Ron Brace NT (still dreaming on stopping run) 3A Rashad Jennings 3B Rashad Johnson FS 4A Canfield O.G (may not be there) 4B Holtzclaw
Old 04-13-2009   #16
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hmm. Don't know him. Not listed in top 46 backs by Walters.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read