Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-12-2009   #41
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker
Default Re: Could Jacoby Jones move to secondary?

I could see Jacoby playing prevent when the offense is forced to throw a hail mary at the end of the game but aside from that he's not gonna be seeing the field on defense imo.
Old 04-12-2009   #42
Polo

I wouldn't even put Jacoby on the field in a prevent situation.
Old 04-12-2009   #43
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 47538 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
So... for the defense to see a team lining up 5 wideouts, who covers that 5th man? 2 CBs and 2 safeties is our secondary? There are three LBs in the 4-3 scheme. I was trying to ask if one of them would at least be allowed to go deep? My understanding of HJam's post is that LBs do not go deep at all.

You've got 4 men at the line. Three in the middle. Four in space. In my head, I'm thinking that maybe one lineman could drop back and take over the duties of a LB for that sort of play to allow a LB to drop back into the secondary to cover that 5th man or even to provide extra coverage on a specific player.

Basically, do LBs ever go deep? Is it really that rare of an occurance that they stray from the middle into space? By space, I mean the secondary. I know they stray from the middle when blitzing but that's going in the opposite direction rather than backpeddaling.

My question does not pertain to only the Texans nor does it pertain to a specific scheme either. I'm trying to get a better understanding of the duties of a linebacker. I want to understand what actually happens. I understand offense VERY well but defense is a whole lot more complex when one thinks about it and I've been thinking about it a lot these past few weeks. As you can tell... I'm no football schematics expert. I'm just a huge fan who wants to improve his knowledge. I'm really glad you're responding to me. Hope others can chime in as well.
Defenses usually go with nickel & dime packages when the offense has 4 or 5 WR's on the field, so you should almost never see a linebacker on a WR. Once an offense substitutes & puts more WR's in the game, the defense is allowed a certain amount of time to substitute their guys in (the Colts tried that on us a few years back & got flagged). Hope that answers your question.
JCTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009   #44
Lucky

Rep Power: 218553 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

This thread is three pages long?
Old 04-13-2009   #45
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
This thread is three pages long?
Actually, a decent football talk broke out on page 2 for some reason or another.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009   #46
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Nitro, Pencil Neck pointed out how the type of defense dictates much of what is expected of specific personel, including the LBs.

Here's an OCT. '07 article I came across that you may be interested in. It touches on the "changing trends of linebackers." [coincidentally, turn your attention to the right side bar and read the little blurb on Cato]
That's an informative article, CDNN!
I think I might have read that one before (or perhaps a similar one.)

And PN brought up a good scenario as well.

But it's not necessarily just the MLB that may cover deep, an OLB can have that assignment depending on the scheme and/or the situation.

1. Nitro may have his own answer as with a hail mary pass toward the end of the half or the game, when the defense dropped back seven, eight, or even nine guys in coverage.

2. Sometimes after the draft, I'd like to take a shot at summarizing how the Bucs used Cato June in their scheme. At this time, I will just mention that sometimes he would take on the slot receiver, basically one on one with or without help from the safety. So theoretically, he could drop as deep as the receiver would go.

3. Another instance could be like the situation with Derrick Johnson in the Chiefs vs. Bucs game. On this particular play, he was on the TE Jerramy Stevens who ran a deep flag pattern toward the pylon. Johnson had help from the safety, but he was true in staying with his assignment in case the safety has to check on the outside receiver who ran a post pattern (cris-crossing with the TE.)
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009   #47
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 133852 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Whyis everyone still trying to find something that Jacoby Jones can do? The guy isn't ever going to amount to anything. He wasn't this great player when we drafted him and just because he made a few plays in pre season just like tons of guys do in pre season on different teams, some people just can't let go of this idea that Jones is some great football player. No one in the NFL even wanted to trade anything for the guy either. I wouldn't mind seeing this guy released after training camp just so I don't have to hear his name anymore.
Texecutioner is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-13-2009   #48
Polo

Jacoby is a reciever that has tons of playmaking ability, but he tries to do too much. He lives and dies by the big play. When he's not living, he's dying.

He needs to get away from the boom or bust and work on becoming solid. May never happen though.
Old 04-13-2009   #49
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

The first thing that comes to my mind is that there's no precedent for this kind of move...at least not in the modern era.

We see guys like Devin Hester and Deion Sanders line up at WR, but it doesn't happen the other way around (at least not that I know of.)
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009   #50
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
The first thing that comes to my mind is that there's no precedent for this kind of move...at least not in the modern era.

We see guys like Devin Hester and Deion Sanders line up at WR, but it doesn't happen the other way around (at least not that I know of.)
Troy Brown played some CB for the Patriots, but that was more out of necessity due to a ton of injuries to their secondary.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009   #51
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 396 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

I think that absent some <knock on wood> ... forget it, I won't say it, but unless that happens, Jacoby Jones won't be seeing the field very much, if at all. I wouldn't be surprised to see a late-round pick at WR and Jacoby Jones looking for work. Someone will give him a shot, though.
Old 04-13-2009   #52
Polo

I think Jacoby will be on the team.

I understand fan frustration with the guy, but IMHO, he hasn't really gotten a fair shake at playing WR. When he's had the ball thrown his way, he's made some nice catches. He was a pretty decent part of our team before he got injured. He's had some dynamite punt returns for TD's. He's shown that he can make plays and I think the coaches know this and I think the will work more towards getting him more touches vs taking them away. I think putting him in the wildcat last year is evidence of this...Running him on little WR options too...

When Jacoby got hurt, he never got back into the flow of things...Health and fundamentals will take Jacoby a long way.

But really the only reason that folks are down on him is because of the fumbles. Learning to hold onto the ball is a small part of one's game, but on the grand scale it means a lot to the team.

If he learns to hold onto the ball, who would still want Jacoby off the team?
Old 04-13-2009   #53
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I feel bad for the people who bought Jacoby Jones jersey's after the preseason in 07. Kinda. Of course anyone who buys a jersey based on the preseason might not always be the sharpest tool in the shed.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009   #54
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I could definitely see Jacoby moving to secondary...

..our secondary punt returner.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009   #55
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

I was once switched from WR to O-Line in junior high. Hey... some people just have "IT."

Last edited by Tailgate; 04-13-2009 at 01:04 PM.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009   #56
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24551 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Whyis everyone still trying to find something that Jacoby Jones can do? The guy isn't ever going to amount to anything. He wasn't this great player when we drafted him and just because he made a few plays in pre season just like tons of guys do in pre season on different teams, some people just can't let go of this idea that Jones is some great football player. No one in the NFL even wanted to trade anything for the guy either. I wouldn't mind seeing this guy released after training camp just so I don't have to hear his name anymore.
I don't know why I'm finding myself as the defender of this guy cuz he makes me crazy. I just don't think it's fair to say that he's never done anything. He's done alot more than "just make a few plays in preseason". He's made a few plays in the regular season too. He has as many touchdowns in 2008 as Open Daniels and David Anderson. He's tied for 2nd most TD's scored by Punt Returners as well as 20+ yrd returns and 40+ as well.

He's done alot more than the picture you're painting.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009   #57
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 201896 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Actually,( I've always liked that word) the question should be does JJ realize he will soon have to use his college degree? I have wondered if a sports psychiatrist could tune him down a notch or maybe momma should stay out of the stands. I really like the guy but my 7th round pick will be Aaron Kelly WR from Clemson 6'5" 204lbs with combine 40 at 4.9. He should prove interesting in the red zone and maybe move another WR to ST. I'd like to see him and AJ in a foot race for tall boys.
Old 04-14-2009   #58
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1065 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know about him moving to the secondary, but I certainly know this guy moves around the city. I see Jacoby at damn near every outing I go to. The dude is an absolute party animal. I think that is his big problem. He just can't stop partying long enough to get focused on being a professional football player.
Old 04-14-2009   #59
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 133852 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
I don't know why I'm finding myself as the defender of this guy cuz he makes me crazy. I just don't think it's fair to say that he's never done anything. He's done alot more than "just make a few plays in preseason". He's made a few plays in the regular season too. He has as many touchdowns in 2008 as Open Daniels and David Anderson. He's tied for 2nd most TD's scored by Punt Returners as well as 20+ yrd returns and 40+ as well.

He's done alot more than the picture you're painting.
The guy isn't really a good returner. He isn't a guy that gets consistent yards and good returns. He is either trying to take it all the way or he's getting stuffed. And then when you add to his TO's, what do you have? A talented guy that isn't all that.

And as far as a WR, give me a break Jacoby Jones will NEVER be a consistent WR for the Texans and I'm pretty sure about right now that Kubiak and Smith both know this as well. He's had his opportunities and as a receiver he hasn't taken advantage of them at all. He's a poor route runner.

And on top of all of this he's pretty immature. The fact that we were trying to trade him already after two years should be a pretty strong indication of where he's going with this team and what types of plans the coaching staff have for him in the future.
Old 04-14-2009   #60
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan JBZ View Post
I don't know about him moving to the secondary, but I certainly know this guy moves around the city. I see Jacoby at damn near every outing I go to. The dude is an absolute party animal. I think that is his big problem. He just can't stop partying long enough to get focused on being a professional football player.
I think you're exactly right JBZ. I've seen him out a few times myself. The only other guy I see out more than him is Anthony Weaver. He parties a lot and that is no knock on the guy, but he just hasn't ever seemed that focused when you look back at the stuff that Kubes has said in the past.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read