Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-12-2009   #21
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34423 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary
Default Re: Could Jacoby Jones move to secondary?

Sorry, but when I saw this thread it made me laugh.
Old 04-12-2009   #22
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Yes, but he can't be a linebacker, because they're not supposed to intercept 40+ yard bombs to wide-outs.
AJ could be a linebacker too if they'd let him. Unfortunately the competition committee passed a rule during his rookie season preventing him from doing so. It would tip the competitive balance too far.

And maybe it wasn't a great idea but I can't mock Raging Bull for asking. A guy like Jacoby with that speed who doesn't seem to be getting it inspires this kind of thinking. You just don't want him to go to waste and I bet that someone at some point at Reliant park has asked themselves this same question. Sure the answer was probably "Nahhh, I'm just reaching" but I have no doubts that at various points in JJ's career people have wondered the same thing.
Old 04-12-2009   #23
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingBull View Post
This guy has all the tools, except one. He was drafted as a developmental player and the thing that he seems to lack is good hands. Would he be able to make the switch to defense as a corner? He certainly has the speed, but what about the rest of the skills required of a corner?
Frankly, I haven't seen a lot of evidence that he is much of a football player. Playing WR is one thing. Playing defense is another world.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009   #24
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
Can Andre Johnson play Linebacker. .. Just a question?
No but he could make a heckuva SS.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009   #25
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce

Rep Power: 4281 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected

I heard Matt Schaub is a better kick returner than Andre Davis, it's just that Kubiak is too worried that he might get injured...
Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009   #26
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting idea. I like that you are getting creative and trying to get some value out of him.

A couple of problems I have with him are:
1) he is a poor route runner. If we stick him out there he would get burned from a juke or two.

2) subpar hands. While this might help him deflect passes, I am convinced that he would also drop ints. Right now, we need corners that have hands and can catch.

4. hips? I am not sure he has the swivel hips needed to be an effective corner. Yes, he has good speed, but playing corner is one where you need to be able to turn on a dime. Jacoby had a tendency to dance on returns and needed to use several yards to effectivly turn. That is not good for a corner.

So, if he played corner he likely would need to give wrs a cushion so that he would have the time to change directions, would probably run poor routes, and in doing so would never look at the ball.

So, as a CB, he might be a cross between Petey Faggins and Jaques Reeves. Hmm. Pass.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009   #27
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 118533 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

If I were to "try" him at anything, it'd be at FS. He's got the raw/closing speed needed. You wouldn't be asking him to route run with anyone (he has a hard enough time with that as a WR), nor would you be asking him to be a supplemental run-stopper like a SS.
Old 04-12-2009   #28
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
If I were to "try" him at anything, it'd be at FS. He's got the raw/closing speed needed. You wouldn't be asking him to route run with anyone (he has a hard enough time with that as a WR), nor would you be asking him to be a supplemental run-stopper like a SS.

As a free safety, you would hope the player is not gun shy of contact, not a characteristic that Jones has demonstrated since his injury..............and you would hope that he has good hands.........which brings us back again to his main problem.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009   #29
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213938 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingBull View Post
This guy has all the tools, except one. He was drafted as a developmental player and the thing that he seems to lack is good hands. Would he be able to make the switch to defense as a corner? He certainly has the speed, but what about the rest of the skills required of a corner?
I fear the short answer is "no".
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009   #30
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 118533 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
As a free safety, you would hope the player is not gun shy of contact, not a characteristic that Jones has demonstrated since his injury..............and you would hope that he has good hands.........which brings us back again to his main problem.
All valid points, but it's alot more fun to be on the giving end of a big hit, than as an "exposed" returner. The hands part wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me though. Jacoby has shown good ability to get a hand 'on' the ball...it's that ticky-tack idea of actually MAINTAINING control he's had an issue with.
Old 04-12-2009   #31
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213938 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
All valid points, but it's alot more fun to be on the giving end of a big hit, than as an "exposed" returner. The hands part wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me though. Jacoby has shown good ability to get a hand 'on' the ball...it's that ticky-tack idea of actually MAINTAINING control he's had an issue with.
I've noticed that most coaches are sorta one-way about that maintaining ball control thing. They have little patience with those who can't do so.
Go figure
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009   #32
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Yes, but he can't be a linebacker, because they're not supposed to intercept 40+ yard bombs to wide-outs.
On a serious note... Why not? Wouldn't a LB go deep on 4 or 5 wideout sets? Like a play such as the hail mary or a deep post?

I'm really curious to hear if a LB generally has a cut-off distance for them to cover? I'm not sure if I even worded that correctly but...
Old 04-12-2009   #33
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
On a serious note... Why not? Wouldn't a LB go deep on 4 or 5 wideout sets? Like a play such as the hail mary or a deep post?

I'm really curious to hear if a LB generally has a cut-off distance for them to cover? I'm not sure if I even worded that correctly but...
Nitro, that would make him even more of a specialty player with less value than he already is..........and going deep like that would make him a nickel or dime.......a CB or a safety, not LB. In addition, he would be 20 lbs lighter than our next lightest LB.............and if he put on that 20 pounds he may never get to where he can cover that well.
Old 04-12-2009   #34
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Nitro, that would make him even more of a specialty player with less value than he already is..........and going deep like that would make him a nickel or dime.......a CB or a safety, not LB. In addition, he would be 20 lbs lighter than our next lightest LB.............and if he put on that 20 pounds he may never get to where he can cover that well.
Not talking about Jacoby Jones. Just LBs in general. My question was serious and remains genuine.
Old 04-12-2009   #35
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Not talking about Jacoby Jones. Just LBs in general. My question was serious and remains genuine.
I would suspect the range expected would have to be dependent on the type of defense such as cover 2 vs man, etc. But you don't expect to see an LB more than about 15 yds from the LOS............further than that, you would expect the secondary to be involved.
Old 04-12-2009   #36
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Why do people spend so much time trying to change players' positions?
ArlingtonTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009   #37
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Quote:
I would suspect the range expected would have to be dependent on the type of defense such as cover 2 vs man, etc. But you don't expect to see an LB more than about 15 yds from the LOS............further than that, you would expect the secondary to be involved.
So... for the defense to see a team lining up 5 wideouts, who covers that 5th man? 2 CBs and 2 safeties is our secondary? There are three LBs in the 4-3 scheme. I was trying to ask if one of them would at least be allowed to go deep? My understanding of HJam's post is that LBs do not go deep at all.

You've got 4 men at the line. Three in the middle. Four in space. In my head, I'm thinking that maybe one lineman could drop back and take over the duties of a LB for that sort of play to allow a LB to drop back into the secondary to cover that 5th man or even to provide extra coverage on a specific player.

Basically, do LBs ever go deep? Is it really that rare of an occurance that they stray from the middle into space? By space, I mean the secondary. I know they stray from the middle when blitzing but that's going in the opposite direction rather than backpeddaling.

My question does not pertain to only the Texans nor does it pertain to a specific scheme either. I'm trying to get a better understanding of the duties of a linebacker. I want to understand what actually happens. I understand offense VERY well but defense is a whole lot more complex when one thinks about it and I've been thinking about it a lot these past few weeks. As you can tell... I'm no football schematics expert. I'm just a huge fan who wants to improve his knowledge. I'm really glad you're responding to me. Hope others can chime in as well.
Old 04-12-2009   #38
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Basically, do LBs ever go deep? Is it really that rare of an occurance that they stray from the middle into space? By space, I mean the secondary. I know they stray from the middle when blitzing but that's going in the opposite direction rather than backpeddaling.
Yes. LB's do go deep.

An example is the Tampa-2. The Tampa-2 is a 3 deep zone. Three guys go into zones in the deep part of the field. Those three players are both safeties and the middle linebacker.

One of the problems with a Tampa-2 is you've got to have a Mike who can cover some distance because as soon as he reads it's a pass, he's got to high tail it back into that deep middle zone.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009   #39
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Nitro, Pencil Neck pointed out how the type of defense dictates much of what is expected of specific personel, including the LBs.

Here's an OCT. '07 article I came across that you may be interested in. It touches on the "changing trends of linebackers." [coincidentally, turn your attention to the right side bar and read the little blurb on Cato]
Old 04-12-2009   #40
Polo

No, Jacoby can't even play gunner on special teams.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read