Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-11-2009   #1
SF49erFaithful
Crabtree FTW

Rep Power: 40 SF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Percy Harvin

Where do you guys think he will go?

He is my wild-card of the draft. I could see him going anywhere the 8th overall pick to a desperate JAX club, to the latter portion of the 2nd round, to a club hoping to get a Reggie Bush type player or DeSean Jackson part two.

It's really hard to say. On one hand, some teams could be absolutely enamored with his speed and ability to make plays any time the ball is in his hands. On the other hand, I think his small stature, in combination with his origins from a "gimmick" offense, will lead teams to believe that he is a situational player at best in the NFL.

Please share your thoughts. I'm very interested on this matter.
SF49erFaithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009   #2
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1698 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Percy Harvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF49erFaithful View Post

He is my wild-card of the draft. I could see him going anywhere the 8th overall pick to a desperate JAX club, to the latter portion of the 2nd round, to a club hoping to get a Reggie Bush type player or DeSean Jackson part two.
Who would use a 2nd round pick on Reggie Bush himself?

Personally, I think he's either going to be the next Florida bust or character issues will hinder his career's progress. Either way, I wouldn't use a first day pick on him.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009   #3
SF49erFaithful
Crabtree FTW

Rep Power: 40 SF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post

Personally, I think he's either going to be the next Florida bust or character issues will hinder his career's progress. Either way, I wouldn't use a first day pick on him.
Is Reggie a full-time back? No, but he is a very dangerous 3rd down back. Any second rounder who produces as much as he does would be considered a success. But that's a different debate-- I just used Bush as an example because Harvin could potentially be utilized in a very similar way.
SF49erFaithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009   #4
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:

are you saying that Bush isn't even a 2nd Round talent? if that is what you are saying, you are way off base. to say Reggie Bush is a 3rd Round talent is pure hogwash and haterade. has he been worthy of #2 overall much less #1 overall...that is another question but to label him 3rd Round is pretty crazy...

...then you rate Percy Harvin at best as a 3rd Round talent? really? say what you want about the offense he played in, but he played in the SEC and he busted plays open and made people miss in the open field....once he got loose it was taken to the house. The guy has 1st Round talent written all over him and diminuitive statures are not necessarily a hindrance, players like Sproles and Jones-Drew have shown that even Barry Sanders. sometimes it helps keep you hidden behind your blockers. the only thing lack of size points to is possible durabilty issues and thats a given with any back in the league.

to each his own but you seem to be grading running backs pretty harshly...even productive ones that have been very dynamic and helped his team win football games. bush is a good football player. #2 overall good. who knows but there have been lots of busts at #2 overall and that is one thing Reggie is not. Reggie is no bust.

Last edited by Second Honeymoon; 04-11-2009 at 11:51 PM.
Second Honeymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009   #5
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22304 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Is Reggie a full-time back? No, but he is a very dangerous 3rd down back. Any second rounder who produces as much as he does would be considered a success. But that's a different debate-- I just used Bush as an example because Harvin could potentially be utilized in a very similar way.
I agree, Reggie is villafied for being a #2 overall. If the guy would have been picked in the middle of the first, then you would say that he was a decent pick. It also doesn't help his name on this board.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009   #6
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
are you saying that Bush isn't even a 2nd Round talent? if that is what you are saying, you are way off base. to say Reggie Bush is a 3rd Round talent is pure hogwash and haterade. has he been worthy of #2 overall much less #1 overall...that is another question but to label him 3rd Round is pretty crazy...
when you consider what many second round backs like portis, mjd, forte, even slaton in the 3rd have produced, i kinda see what hes saying. reggie has come nowhere near their production or level of play

if the saints decided to go with beanie wells & pierre thomas next year and decided to trade reggie, imo they wouldnt get near a 2nd rd pick for him
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009   #7
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

1st round talent that will drop due to character issues. My guess is he goes to Tennessee in the 2nd round. I hope the Texans don't touch him in any round.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-12-2009   #8
Lucky

Rep Power: 99011 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
if the saints decided to go with beanie wells & pierre thomas next year and decided to trade reggie, imo they wouldnt get near a 2nd rd pick for him
The contract he received as the #2 pick, makes Bush pretty much untradeable.
Old 04-12-2009   #9
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I sure hope he doesn't go to the Tacks. If you thought our defense looked bad last year put Johnson and Harvin on the field together and the Tacks will make our defense look worse than it did last year. If that's possible.

Harvin was the best playmaker in college football last year IMO. Teaming him up with Johnson would be scary becuse they both can play RB & have great hands so you can split either one of them out at WR or the slot.

This would create matchup nightmares for any defense, let alone the Texans sorry excuse of a defense that they had last year.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009   #10
Goldensilence
Is this Sparta?

Rep Power: 9088 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he drops to the second round. He's got speed to go outside and I'm assuming that's while he probably be moved full time outisde. But, there's a lot more polished receivers in this draft ahead of him. Does he have the discipline to run routes is my biggest question about him.

Far as Reggie...seriously SH if you had to do that draft all over knowing what we know now Reggie Bush is STILL overall worth the #2 pick? Ok.....
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009   #11
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
it was a hypothetical to show how his play has diminished his nfl value. i know they're not going to trade him in reality
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009   #12
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
That's my understanding, which is that the Saints have already worked out a new contract which is very lucrative. I know he's very popular with the NOLA fans, but beyond that how is he worth a new supposedly superior contract to the origional and if they're paying all of that money why can't they figure out the best way to use him ? We know he's not going to be the regular running back, so why don't they make him a starting receiver ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

It's really hard to say. On one hand, some teams could be absolutely enamored with his speed and ability to make plays any time the ball is in his hands. On the other hand, I think his small stature, in combination with his origins from a "gimmick" offense, will lead teams to believe that he is a situational player at best in the NFL.

Please share your thoughts. I'm very interested on this matter.
sounds hopefull of being there for the 49'ers 2nd rd. pick
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009   #14
rarazz00
VOLUME 10

Rep Power: 114 rarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
1st round talent that will drop due to character issues. My guess is he goes to Tennessee in the 2nd round. I hope the Texans don't touch him in any round.
I agree with ya on that OMT...If I were looking for a burner with no character issues, I'll Take Johnny Knox in the 4th
Old 04-12-2009   #15
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1698 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
It was a bit of a hyperbole, but Bush obviously wasn't worth the #2 overall.
Quote:
...then you rate Percy Harvin at best as a 3rd Round talent? really? say what you want about the offense he played in, but he played in the SEC and he busted plays open and made people miss in the open field....once he got loose it was taken to the house. The guy has 1st Round talent written all over him and diminuitive statures are not necessarily a hindrance, players like Sproles and Jones-Drew have shown that even Barry Sanders. sometimes it helps keep you hidden behind your blockers. the only thing lack of size points to is possible durabilty issues and thats a given with any back in the league.
Not talent, value. He definitely has top of the 1st round talent, but so did Pac-Man. I'm not saying Harvin is even in the same level as Pac-Man, but I can't picture Harvin in the league in 8 years.
Quote:

to each his own but you seem to be grading running backs pretty harshly
...even productive ones that have been very dynamic and helped his team win football games. bush is a good football player. #2 overall good. who knows but there have been lots of busts at #2 overall and that is one thing Reggie is not. Reggie is no bust.
That's what people said when I called Benson a bust before the draft. I didn't see anything special in him, I thought he was a product of a great offensive line(speaking of which, what happened to Jonathan Scott?). How can you possibly say Bush is worth the #2 overall pick? I don't think he has a future as a running back, I always thought he'd have trouble running inside. As a receiver, he can be a star, but I don't know if the Saints would be willing to do that.

Is Bush worth a 1st round pick...maybe. Depending on the offense, he could be a very dangerous weapon. The keyword there is weapon. As I said, he's not a traditional running back, if you even want him there. But #2 overall? Admittedly, that was a pretty weak draft, Mario and Donte' Whitner are probably the only ones in the top 10 who deserved the selection. DeAngelo Williams and MoJo Drew are heads and shoulders the best running backs from that draft, with Leon Washington and LenDale White. A lot of us said LenDale would be the better pro as a running back...that looks to be the case.
Old 04-12-2009   #16
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 58841 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Is late as he goes is 18 to the Broncos. Percy would be the perfect wildcard weapon in the spread offense and would be a sick addition to Royal and Marshall on the outside.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009   #17
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

When they have serious holes on defense? I don't think they go offense in the first day unless Sanchez is there with their first pick.
Old 04-12-2009   #18
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 58841 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
When they have serious holes on defense? I don't think they go offense in the first day unless Sanchez is there with their first pick.
McDaniels traded away his franchise QB because he didn't fit the system. The offense is obviously No. 1 on the list and the spread takes special players. A third WR in the spread will see the field every play
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009   #19
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4378 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
McDaniels traded away his franchise QB because he didn't fit the system. The offense is obviously No. 1 on the list and the spread takes special players. A third WR in the spread will see the field every play
McDaniels allegedly attempted to trade Cutler because he felt Cassel was a "better" fit for his system. Cutler was finally traded after the Broncos organization felt that they couldn't patch up their relationship with Cutler. At no point did any sane person believe that Cutler wouldn't "fit the system".

You have a hard enough time making people believe we need to use a 1st round pick to replace Kevin Walter, who is incidentally one of the most productive # 2 WRs in the league despite having to fight with AJ/OD/Slaton for touches. Please stop now before you try to convince people that Cutler wasn't a fit for the spread offense McDaniels is bringing to Denver.
Old 04-12-2009   #20
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55561 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Harvin will be a luxury pick for a team at the back end of the first round. I think the Ravens, Titans, or Giants are real possibilities because those teams have hardly any holes other than WR.

As far as Bush goes, I think Harvin could play a similar role with whatever team takes him. He could line up in the backfield and run a little bit, but more often he would be used as a receiver out of the backfield or in the slot.

First round talent, but without a true position. That's why I think a team with few holes takes a shot at him. They can afford the luxury of passing up other first round players.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read